Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Covid-19: Treatments, Cures, and Vaccines

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by exiledgator, Apr 10, 2020.

1. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Absolutely not.

But that also doesn't mean that I think EVERY vaccine created is needed for every person.

I have the education to make a very informed choice for myself and my kids.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Heres some more details....

Scientists begin to unravel rare blood clotting disorder connected to J&J and AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccines (msn.com)

The condition is believed to be the same one seen in Europe with a similar vaccine made by AstraZeneca and Oxford University. That vaccine, which is not available in the United States, has been linked to more than 220 unusual clotting cases as of April 4, out of 34 million doses delivered.

Vaccine-induced problems
    Warkentin and his colleagues named the condition vaccine-induced immune thrombotic thrombocytopenia or VITT. It is believed to be similar to a rare problem seen either in patients recovering from surgery or from those on heparin, said Warkentin, a hematologist at McMaster University in Ontario, Canada..

In all cases, the immune system creates antibodies that activate platelets in the bloodstream, he said. The platelets, which normally promote wound healing, end up clumping and causing blood clots, often in the brain.

This also leads to low levels of platelets circulating in the bloodstream, which is called thrombocytopenia.

About 1-2% of hospitalized patients given the drug heparin end up with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia, or HITT, which is very similar to VITT, said Al-Samkari,from Massachusetts General Hospital.

It's impossible to figure out ahead of time who is likely to get the reaction to heparin, and when it's triggered by an autoimmune reaction, so-called aHIT, it can be particularly bad, he said. "Clots can form everywhere," he said.

Connors, who has been responsible for treating HITT patients at the Brigham for a decade, said the condition is very risky.

"If you mistreat it, people die," she said, "and if you don't treat it, there's still a high mortality associated with it."

But it can be successfully treated if doctors are looking for it.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Seems to be the same type of immune response attacking platelets.
    Very early to give definitive answers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    One of the medical experts, I don't recall whom, interviewed on Monday suggested that those factors will be considered in reviewing the J&J cases in the US. I assume that a similar analysis is being performed with respect to the AZ vaccine in the EU. My guess is that when the reviews are completed the FDA and the European regulatory agencies will recommend that the individuals in the high risk demographic, whatever that may be, should be vaccinated using the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine rather than the J&J or AZ vaccine.

5. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    A friend in another state got two emails from their kids' school on Monday. First email was informing them that a little over 1% of the student body had tested positive for the virus, and that about 15% of the student body was required to stay home from school for the next two weeks. The second email informed them that the school was dropping their masking and social distancing requirements for students at the school.

6. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Both dead adenovirus with the protein. Same technology.

7. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    J&J uses a human adenovirus, AZ uses a chimpanzee version.

8. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    A bit more information and speculation on root cause of the clotting observed in the AstraZenca and Johnson & Johnson vaccines. Probably worth noting that the Russian Sputnik V and one of the Chinese vaccines from CanSinoBIO both use a adenovirus as the vector. There are no reports of clotting issues from those two vaccines, however, it is dubious as to whether or not we will ever know for sure about those two. One difference to note, however, is that the CanSino vaccine uses an adenovirus vector Type 5, while AZ and J&J use an adenovirus vector Type 26 virus. The Sputnik V is a two shot vaccine with the first shot using a Ad Type 5 and the booster shot using the Ad Type 26.

This key component of the J&J vaccine could explain the extremely rare risk of blood clots

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

His 30 years in the medical field gives his opinion some merit.

10. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    And not as a Nurse, despite what some poster suggested last week before the thread was locked.

11. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    Einstein believed in a static universe. He was by all measures more intelligent than me and better educated in physics. He also was wrong. His opinion is wrong. His 30 years of experience means that we read his opinion with an open mind.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. tilly

It means his opinion carries much more weight then the rest of us non med types.
    Listen to the science, unless someone versed in it disagrees with our opinion I suppose.

13. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    So would he be a better source than Dr. Fauci? Consistency is important.

14. littlebluelw

littlebluelw Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If consistency is important, Fauci aint it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    Explain please.

16. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    He's now pushing gun control as a public health issue. Dude's something else.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. tilly

He isn't contradicting Fauci that I am aware of. He has repeatedly called the difference between the Emergency use and complete approval based on his 30 years as a PA, and people on this board have ridiculed him for it. Yet he is 100% accurate. Being concerned about our kids is not evil. Being hesitant about an unapproved vax is not evil.

Their is nothing underhanded going on. The vaccine is a great step, but caution and concern can exist.

@gatorpa has yet to speak against this vax or any other. He has simply continued to point out the facts about the differences between the full approval and emergency use.
    Has Fauci called this vax fully approved that I am unaware of?

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    please provide link to your claim where he pushing for gun control.

This his only statement I found. Includes video. Where he is directly asked if he thinks gun violence is a public health issue. He states with all the recent mass shootings he thinks it is.

Fauci ties gun violence to a public health issue

19. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
  20. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Meanwhile....and back to the point of the thread.....NIH to fund a large study of repurposed drugs for Covid-19 patients, focusing on therapeudics for people with mild to moderate symptoms and who are not hospitalized. This study is probably over due but really glad that they are finally starting to enroll trial participants.

Large clinical trial to study repurposed drugs to treat COVID-19 symptoms

• Like Like x 2