Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Covid-19: Treatments, Cures, and Vaccines

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by exiledgator, Apr 10, 2020.

1. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I'm really not sure exactly what you are advocating for. You have been among the "live your life" crowd so why would you be against this take?

If you are unable to take the vaccine due to medical reasons you will need to continue to protect yourself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I think there should be a well documented medical reason to not get the vaccines that provide protection for the overall community from communicable diseases that can be spread via non-contact. Countries around the world, US included, require vaccinations of various types to legally enter the country or attend school, etc. We saw what happened in Washington state and elsewhere where antivax people spread measles to others when they refused to have their kids vaccinated.

Do you think people should be able to refuse vaccine and spread communicable diseases to others with no responsibility?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    very few have legit medical reason to not get vaccine. what was your solution to those that didn't want to risk getting infected from people who refused to wear masks, stay home? Why should you be able to carry and transmit a infectious, deadly disease when there is a safe and proven way to stop that? How is covid vaccine any different than measles vaccine or any other vaccine required to attend public school?

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    And since you apparently refuse to get vaccinated, it's a good thing for folks in other countries too.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Interesting take when just a couple posts up . . . .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Nah, let them in. Just require them to quarantine in a hotel for 14 days before entering the public. This, among other effective mitigation measures, is why Taiwan has seen seven total deaths - yes, that's right. SEVEN
    If you wanted to enter Taiwan a few months ago, you could. You just had to quarantine for two weeks.

7. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    I don't believe the mask really work that well. And nobody should be forced to take the vaccine. And your wrong about people with medical conditions not being able to take the vaccine

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  8. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    I don't care if you get it or anybody else. If it makes you safe then get it. Wishing someone to be sick or die is a bit different and you know that

9. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL

I think it depends on the vaccine, measles vaccine is very well studied and it can cause nasty issues with young and old.

As far as COVID goes there are no approved vaccines for children under 17 at this point, even when one does get approved it will have very limited safety data, and that's for a illness that for the most part causes almost no severe disease in and kids 17 and under. As time goes one we will have excellent treatments to minimize severe disease in people, we already have two monoclonal antibody (MABs) that work very well when given early on in the infection(first 3-5 days).

10. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    What about other vaccines? Measles for example.

If people here are advocating for every US citizen to be vaccinated why shouldn't that extend to anyone coming here from over seas? Obviously I'm taking about down the road when vaccines are easy to get....

11. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Eli Lilly MAB cocktail granted emergency use for treatment of mild to moderate COVID in patients ages 12 and up if they are at risk for developing severe disease due to other medical complications.

COVID-19 tracker: Brace for yearly COVID vaccinations, J&J's Gorsky says; BioNTech starts production at German plant

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Yet nobody wished someone to be sick or die and you know that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    It's a good question and one for which I don't have an answer. Haven't read nearly as much about measles & other vaccinations as I have about Covid. I did, however, contract the measles during undergrad at UF. I was running a 104 fever and my roommates were like "whatever, just deal with it." Thankfully, my sister lived in town and took me to the hospital, once I was diagnosed, there was an immediate response from the Department of Health. I had an extensive interview, detailing all my activities during the prior weeks (contact tracing). They weren't playing around.
    Interestingly, neither or my roommates or my sister contracted measles.

14. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I think a bit of grace needs to be shown. We have seen generations of testing for many vaccines and we can see if the long term effects exist.
    That is not the case with these Covid vaccines. I think folks fearful of the speed and haste should not be thought of in the same light as the typical "anti-vaxer".

15. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I mean I'm not going to look down on anyone that would rather be cautious as I completely understand their thinking. I will, however, be going to restaurants again, going on vacation, and resuming a normal life once I am vaccinated. I will be among the last group so many hundreds of millions will have had a chance to get it by then. I will be willing to keep wearing a mask because it's not as big of a burden as some would lead you to believe. I will also continue to stay 6' from someone whenever it is possible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Source? The evidence, of course, is vast and contradictory to your claim.
    The CDC Says Tight-Fit Masks or Double Masking Increases Protection

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I am no mod - I have no authority for anything, but as a member of this community and someone interested in the information posted in this thread, can we take the political arguing BS back to some other place?

Thread Title is clearly Treatments, Cures and Vaccines.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  18. tilly

Heck, I alredy goto restaurants without a vaccine though not as often and only if good distancing is an option, but I agree. Masking is not the burden most people portray it as.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tilly

Agree. We are looking at creating a thread just for that. Stay on topic folks.

20. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree with @ncargat1. Keep the discussion on the thread title.

• Like Like x 1