Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Covid-19: Treatments, Cures, and Vaccines

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by exiledgator, Apr 10, 2020.

1. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Not sure who this clown is, but he lost any credibility when attacked the fact that Chloroquine can and does cause heart problems. Because even MERCK has the warning on their website....so....whatever.

Also, shouldn't a doctor know that a steroid is NOT an anti-viral. It is not a cure. It treats one potential symptom while allowing the body to cure itself.

Finally, if he were a real doctor who knows anything about current standard of care across the United States, inhaled/swallowed/injected steroids are now part of the standard of care for hospitalized patients.

Like Chloroquine, I have no doubt that some select subset of patients respond well to this medication. However, shame on him for peddling something that has no proof.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    And, if it is controlled well, and a well designed study, I have no doubt that there is much there to learn. However, with most research that is done well, it is going to take time and effort and well constructed DOE's to allow researchers to draw proper, meaningful conclusions.

I am still hoping that some properly constructed trial will eventually unlock the value/benefits of this drug in combating COVID-19 if there are truly benefits and we can add this to the tools at the disposal of medical professionals.

4. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Russian firm claims that their drug for mild or medium severity COVID-19 cases will block virus replication in the body. "By the firth day......coronavirus had been eliminated in 77.5% of patients who took the drug."

Russian firm gets approval for drug said to block coronavirus replication

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I'll believe that when a large scale independent study is done.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    FDA officials may finally be taking a more measured, science based stand and less worried about "Warp Speed".

Want to defeat COVID-19? Deliver a 70% effective vaccine—and get 70% of people to take it, FDA official says

• Like Like x 2
  7. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Not sure that ever happens, but do not doubt that the Russians have absolutely brilliant bio/medical minds. In many fields the Soviet Union had some truly brilliant theoretical scientists, it always their lab work that was constrained by resources, which hopefully have improved greatly since then. So, I would not be shocked if they found a drug that was effective.

8. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It is very encouraging that they are developing effective treatments to cure the disease. This will help greatly until a vaccine to prevent the disease is developed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I have a Bulgarian co-worker, a former Soviet-era PhD in theoretical physics of transistors. He has sworn up and down that his mother's medicine from WWII could knock out this virus and many other viruses. I thought he was just pulling me leg or romanticizing something about his mother. Then I stumbled across this story today......damned if he might not turn out to be right!

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07-cold-war-antiseptic-potential-drug-resistant.html

• Informative Informative x 4
  10. 14serenoa

14serenoa Living in Orange and surrounded by Seminoles... VIP Member

Jul 28, 2014
    I hope the distribution to the states is not weaponized or politicized...

11. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    This will be huge news on the treatment front if it can be verified and repeated without deadly side effects.

Israel announces antibody that neutralizes coronavirus, even amongst infected.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Big, and welcome, news if true

ummm..did they forget a NOT in this statement. that is some pretty bad editing review

The scientific development would be made up of a few proteins that are (NOT??)) harmful to the human body and has already been tested on patients with risky cases of coronavirus.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I was wondering the same thing.

14. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Not necessarily? Chemo is harmful to the body.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    British drugmaker Astra Zeneca is testing an anti-body treatment meant to protect the most vulnerable until a vaccine (if a vaccine) becomes available or those that the vaccine will not work for.

Coronavirus UK: Antibody treatment trials to prepare for 'second wave' | Metro News

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I am not sure what "fast tracking" means exactly for vaccine candidates, but for some reason, it just does not seem to jive with the concept of "thoroughly vetted for safety". Further, I just cannot help keep thinking of the Resident Evil video game/ movie franchise with all of this discussion of messenger-RNA and T-Cell activation.

Pfizer and BioNTech Granted FDA Fast Track Designation for Two Investigational mRNA-based Vaccine Candidates Against SARS-CoV-2 | BioNTech

17. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Sobering thoughts from the head man at Merck at the likelihood of finding a vaccine any time soon.

Merck CEO Ken Frazier Discusses a COVID Cure, Racism, and Why Leaders Need to Walk the Talk

18. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    This is big news

Moderna's Covid-19 Vaccine Moves to Bigger Study

New details about the first human study of Moderna Inc.’s experimental coronavirus vaccine emerged Tuesday, which researchers said reinforced their decision to take the shot into a large, decisive clinical trial scheduled to start in late July.

The new results, published online by the New England Journal of Medicine, showed that the vaccine induced the desired immune response for all 45 people evaluated—a larger group than in the preliminary data Moderna released in May—and was generally safe and well-tolerated.

“This is really quite good news,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said in an interview Tuesday. NIAID co-developed the Moderna vaccine and led the study. “The gold standard of protection against a viral infection is neutralizing antibodies,” he said. “And the data from the study, small numbers as it may be, are pretty clear that this vaccine is capable of inducing quite good [levels] of neutralizing antibodies.”

Researchers said they found no serious safety risks, though some participants had injection-site pain and symptoms such as fatigue, headache and chills.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I wonder how many test subjects that they need to evaluate to determine if this (or any vaccine candidate) were produce side effects like Guillian-Barre Syndrome? According to CDC, approximately 1 in 100,000 in this country develop it every year (not from vaccines, but from several likely contributing infections, but also including vaccines). Also according the CDC, it is much more likely to occur in people like me, over 50, so wonder what Moderna's age distribution in their July Phase 3 trial will look like?

20. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    they are launching 30k trial late July. They did trials with older people and results are still under evaluation. posted more about it in the US thread