Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Covid-19: Treatments, Cures, and Vaccines

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by exiledgator, Apr 10, 2020.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    SEC urged to investigate coronavirus vaccine maker
    An anti-corruption watchdog group is urging the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission to investigate top executives at Moderna, the biotech firm developing a promising coronavirus vaccine, for allegedly manipulating the stock market.

"This misconduct was particularly egregious because it involved not only financial fraud and manipulation of the financial markets, but also because it exploited widespread fears surrounding the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic," wrote Kyle Herrig, who heads Accountable.US, in a letter to the SEC. "I strongly urge the SEC to investigate these matters."

The group's concerns center on insider trading activity at Moderna after the company last month announced positive results in Phase 1 trials of its coronavirus vaccine. The news pushed up the company's stock price 30% to an all-time high of $87. In the days following the announcement, Moderna's CEO, other executives and funds controlled by the chairman of its board sold about $90 million worth of company shares.

2. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Good luck with that. Every single company in America hides behind their version of the 10b5-1 plan and public announcements are always mysteriously timed before or after these pre-programmed stock trades that executives are not allowed to know the dates of (wink-wink).

And, honestly, if the 4 scumbag senators who profited from MEGA insider information are not in jail already for this, I care little about a couple of company execs who no one will remember in 18 months.

3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Anything new?

4. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Conspiracy folks not going to like this one. Peer reviewed published finally confirming that Remdesivir prevented respiratory disease and limited lung damage in monkeys when administered early enough. Viral load was significantly lower too. This is good news and confirmed through the peer review process, ie no one is going to retract this one.

Gilead's remdesivir prevents lung damage in COVID-19 study on monkeys

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Know even less than normal about what I am posting in this thread, but it is at least interesting enough to have piqued my curiosity.

India’s Largest Drugmaker Starts Trials for Plant-Based Covid-19 Drug - BNN Bloomberg

6. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Another candidate in an ever growing list of candidates to be used to treat people once known to be infected.

Daiichi Sankyo to develop Nafamostat inhalation therapy for Covid-19

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Not sure if this really translated into anything immediately actionable, but interesting research none the less. I just wish I understood it better.....

Decoding COVID-19's Achilles' heel to inspire new treatments

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Quirky kind of a story, and one that seems like could have been "encouraged" at the federal level sooner, but actually glad an American company saw an opportunity to contribute in an area outside of its normal area (and I am sure make a profit....which is a good thing not bad). Because of the scale of Coca-Cola's injection molding operations, they were able to produce over 7 million vials in just a few short days.

With COVID-19 test tubes in shortage, Coca-Cola bottlers offer a solution

• Like Like x 1
  9. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Oral poliovirus vaccine could provide immunity. Different type of vaccine than being produced today but polio and covid are both "positive strand RNA viruses.

Coronavirus: An existing polio vaccine could help fight Covid-19

The oral polio vaccine uses a weakened version of the polio virus. The live attenuated vaccines produce a strong and long-lasting immune response, vaccine experts said. They're slower to manufacture than modern vaccines that just use a piece of genetic material from a virus, and the US and European companies working on coronavirus vaccines are focusing on quicker ways. Gallo co-discovered the human immunodeficiency virus that causes AIDS while Chumakov is associate director for research at the FDA's vaccine division.

It would make sense to at least test it to see if it helps against coronavirus, said Konstantin Chumakov of the FDA and Dr. Robert Gallo of the Institute of Human Virology at the University of Maryland, and colleagues.
    ……………………………….
    "We propose the use of OPV (oral poliovirus vaccine ) to ameliorate or prevent COVID-19. Both poliovirus and coronavirus are positive-strand RNA viruses; therefore, it is likely that they may induce and be affected by common innate immunity mechanisms," they wrote. " ... Oral poliovirus vaccine in particular, could provide temporary protection against coronavirus disease."
    ………...

Can existing live vaccines prevent COVID-19? | Science

• Like Like x 4
  10. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Isn't this the vaccine that is already a lightning rod for the anti-vaxxers? Wasn't this the root of all autism according to them?

11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    No. Oral Polio Virus isn't administered in US. I believe it is a combo vaccine that uses thermasol (sp) as a preservative.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    To echo @G8trGr8t ...

Thimerosal was removed from the measles/mumps/rubella vaccine in 2001.

FWIW, autism diagnoses rates in the US continue to rise.

RFK Jr. is off his rocker on this.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I thought I had an oral polio vaccine when I was a kid? Boomer.

14. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I guess I could have looked that up on the web, but thanks for answering the question for me.

15. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    If nothing else, I have learned a little bit about disease treatments. I had not idea, for instance, that monoclonal anti-bodies were already being used to treat diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis (hopefully I got that right). In any case, the Eli Lilly CEO is pretty confident that they will have a treatment ready to go by fall based on 1 or 2 of the monoclonal antibodies currently in clinical trials. Given the likely 3-4 year time horizon for a proven, safe vaccine, if one ever gets developed, the need to find treatments for this virus is imperative.

Exclusive: Lilly COVID-19 treatment could be authorized for use as soon as September - chief scientist

• Like Like x 1
  16. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    The hidden roadblocks to having vaccines ready in such a short period of time. Never mind if the vaccine is safe, with everyone rushing to make one, we are going to see huge shortages in raw materials, not to mention skilled employees necessary to make all of this happen. Another reason why if people think that there will be a proven vaccine within a year or so, they are probably going to be disappointed.

BIO: Moderna, Merck execs see possible speed bumps in COVID-19 vaccine manufacturing

17. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    FDA finally does the inevitable.....

FDA yanks chloroquine's emergency OK after data show it doesn't work against COVID-19

• Like Like x 2
  18. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    • Like Like x 2
  19. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    "Results of trials announced on Tuesday showed dexamethasone, which is used to reduce inflammation in other diseases, reduced death rates by around a third among the most severely ill COVID-19 patients admitted to hospital.

The results suggest the drug should immediately become standard care in patients with severe cases of the pandemic disease, said the researchers who led the trials.

“This is a result that shows that if patients who have COVID-19 and are on ventilators or are on oxygen are given dexamethasone, it will save lives, and it will do so at a remarkably low cost,” said Martin Landray, an Oxford University professor co-leading the trial, known as the RECOVERY trial.

“It’s going to be very hard for any drug really to replace this, given that for less than 50 pounds ($63.26), you can treat eight patients and save a life,” he told reporters in an online briefing."

From the link in the previous post, pretty great news!!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Finally a small piece of good news in terms of trying to mitigate effects and save lives.
    Thanks for the post @96Gatorcise for sharing.

Here is another story with some more stats....

Life-saving coronavirus drug 'major breakthrough'

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1