Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Covid-19: Treatments, Cures, and Vaccines

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by exiledgator, Apr 10, 2020.

1. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    8/8 sounds pretty good, even if a statistically insignificant sample, it’s still 8/8.

I assume this means they intentionally tried to infect people after receiving the vaccine and it worked in 8/8? That’s probably the best result yet on the vaccine front. Hopefully it keeps looking good through phase 2 and 3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    It doesn't stay long at all, maybe a few days at most. Most antibody treatments also cost an arm and a leg e.g. for rabies, snake venom, etc. You can't use them to prevent infections, it's just not cost effective to inject antibodies every few days to prevent an infection. I'd look at it more as a potential treatment option, which if works as well as they claim may be almost just as good since then nobody would care if they catch it if it can be so easily treated.

No, it just means those people developed antibodies. I can't access the actual study data so I don't know what type of antibodies and what reasons we have to believe that they'd be effective in preventing/mitigating infections. My understanding is that you can develop many types of antibodies against various parts of the virus, and we don't yet know for sure which ones are the most effective.

It's not clear what the effect of developing any antibodies mean at this point. For example, the Oxford vaccine elicited a high titer of antibodies in monkeys. They did try to infect the monkeys with the virus afterwards, and unfortunately all the monkeys developed COVID despite having the antibodies. With that said, none of the monkeys died so even if a vaccine doesn't prevent the infection it may mitigate the effect of it, which is probably good enough. For example, the flu vaccine is often times <50% effective in preventing infections, but they do tend to make the infections milder even if you end up catching it.

• Informative Informative x 4
  3. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Cost was one of the things I figured could make this only accessible to the wealthy.

4. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    I think the antibodies produced were similar to recovered covid patients.

Phase 1 almost always are small numbers of subject, more pf a proof of concept and safety study.
    The Phase 2 is set to enroll 600 subjects.
    Also these subjects were 18-55 if I recall correctly. The likely will widen that age group

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Yea I read that, but it's short on details. Similar titers of what type of antibodies? We also don't know for how long they'll remain and if they confer immunity. Like I mentioned above the monkeys developed high antibody titers with the Oxford vaccine but it did not protect them from infections.

6. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Don't know if I believe him that he's taking it.
    I'd be curious if his claim that a lot of front-line doctors and nurses are taking it is true.

Trump reveals he's taking hydroxychloroquine in effort to prevent coronavirus symptoms

7. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    That's the issue with trying to run vaccine trials in short time frames, you need to follow the subjects to see how long antibodies stay in sufficient levels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    . It wouldn’t matter.

10. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    because doubling down on stupid is his modus operandi. he will refuse to admit that he was wrong on hydroxy like he refuses to admit ever being wrong on anything. and it is one way he can distract the press from the IG firing

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. PacificBlueGator

PacificBlueGator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    And now he is attacking the researchers of the VA study, which NIH funded, as being anti-Trumpers for the outcome. He's accusing medical doctors and researchers of faking data to make him look bad. This is getting dangerous.

My 'decision to make': Trump defends criticized use of drug

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    12 pages and this thread's participants have done a pretty good job of stay apolitical.

Let's see if we can keep that going.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Covis Pharma B.V. Initiates Phase 3 Clinical Trial of Alvesco (Ciclesonide) Inhaler for the Treatment of COVID-19

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    This was an early candidate for treatment in Japan. It is not clear from this short story whether or not Avigan has separately shown efficacy in people with severe symptoms from Covid-19.

Antiflu Avigan not showing apparent efficacy in coronavirus treatment

• Like Like x 1
  15. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  17. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Interesting turn of events after reading this earlier in this thread. This particular poster seems to be very knowledgeable in this field and like studied/works/worked in this field. He/she has also been very effective in explaining things without using a tone like the rest of us are idiots, and communicating points very well. I tend to put trust in what this person writes:

Also, while holding in degrees in Physics and Material Science, I have no knowledge of the field at all. But, I do perform a fair amount of experiments in job. I just have to ignorantly, cynically wonder if these vaccines are simply being rushed far too quickly to be fully evaluated for safety. As i say, I am pretty ignorant, but I cringe at the thought of the Moderna solution, introducing something that will "teach" the body to react a certain way? I just keep getting random thoughts of the Umbrella Corporation in Raccoon City?

19. mjbuf05

mjbuf05 Premium Member

Jan 11, 2012
    • Funny Funny x 3
  20. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    The skeptic in me believes all these Big Pharma companies are making these early announcements to either bump their stock price or to secure billion dollar funding that they do not have to return if they fail to produce but get to keep the research to apply to other non covid drugs.

• Winner Winner x 1