Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Covid 19 briefing update

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by sflagator, Mar 21, 2020.

1. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    No, you are nitpicking trying to suggest he didn't call it a hoax. He did, and a bunch in his right wing media did (all on message). That is not nitpicking. That is the reality of what happened. They lagged behind the "real world" by at least a week or more it seems. You may hang on to Trump's individual words that the virus itself wasn't a hoax. I mean realyl? I would hope calling the actual virus a hoax might be a stretch even for Trump, but if you want to hang your hat on that you do you. There's no denying what went on at Fox and elsewhere.

Now the thing on the Malaria drug might be "nitpicking", but I saw one of those Trump conferences and he was definitely over-hyping it. Responsible leaders don't do stuff like that. They don't constantly build false hopes.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    For anyone that comprehends the English language it is very clear. In a previous thread I even posted a video of the rally and provided the time stamps as to where he made the comments in question yet there are people that still want to believe President Trump stated something entirely different. Needless to say the media carried the water for such nonsemse and people lap it up like kitten and cream.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Neither of those are accurate accounts of what he said. Here is what he said:

"It's shown very encouraging -- very, very encouraging early results. And we're going to be able to make that drug available almost immediately. And that's where the FDA has been so great. They -- they've gone through the approval process; it's been approved. And they did it -- they took it down from many, many months to immediate. So we're going to be able to make that drug available by prescription or states,"

"Normally the FDA would take a long time to approve something like that, and it's -- it was approved very, very quickly and it's now approved, by prescription."

Are you honestly trying to claim that he is discussing the process by which the FDA made the drug available for the treatment of Malaria in the 1930s? Seems like that would be an odd interpretation of him bragging about immediate approval (especially given that it wasn't approved immediately in the 1930s by the FDA). So perhaps you could explain further how it isn't a lie to claim that it was approved immediately.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    And the medical professionals explained why that was the case. We couldn't use what the real world is using and we don't have the equipment they have. All of which is by design of our own medical system and our own legislation that our own government put in place eons ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. sflagator

sflagator Premium Member Trusted GC Insider

Apr 3, 2007
    I know this is too hot but I didn’t post that as a way to get into a discussion on government run healthcare. Having lived in numerous countries with government run healthcare, it is far and away better than what we have in the United States now, and that’s not just me guessing: as I posted here before I had a catastrophic injury in Belgium that saw me hospitalized for a week, I had surgery twice, and it cost me less than $4000. And doctors over their live quite well. Yes taxes are higher but what you get in return is equal or greater to the amount we pay out-of-pocket for the services, so in the end it’s pretty much a wash except that care over there is better.

The fact of the matter is that there are a limited number of hospital beds per capita, and an even more limited number of critical care beds per capita, in every organized society in the World. If you have a pandemic then there are going to be limitations on the services that any society can provide. I didn’t post it in my earlier message, because it wasn’t relevant to the issue and I didn’t wanna get in a pissing match with people, but the total consensus was that the government in the United States made this worse in a number of ways, and that was coming from a crowd where people were very conservative (there were a lot of ex- CIA and DIA guys there, a former dean of Hampden Sydney college, etc. – not exactly a bunch of bleeding heart liberal’s)

Excuse the typos because I’m dictating and I don’t want to go back and fix anything

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Look...I said it's in his words! I see the press conference...dont you? Nobody needs quotes to watch and listen. I know that he is quoted perfectly fine when the words on paper match his words as televised.
    Not even the slightest bit of difficulty getting that part.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. woollybooger

woollybooger VIP Member

Jul 31, 2018
    One thing is definitely true, we all hear what we want to hear, regardless of what was actually said. It does cut both ways. I choose to believe the president is trying to show hope, or the glass is "half full". If you hate him, he can't say anything that you approve of, and you search for things that support your feelings. Because 90% of mainstream media supports the liberal viewpoint, it is amazing that Trump has survived his term. I personally hope he is re-elected, but after reading through this post I am beginning to have my doubts.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't need to search for things to hate him for. He hands them to me on a silver platter.

• Agree x 4
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  9. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So you aren't going to try to defend the actual quote about how it was immediately approved as "truthful?"

10. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    You're absolutely right, and I contributed to the hijacking. I just created a thread WASHINGTON AND THE VIRUS ...please move the political discussions there.
    Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  11. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    I never implied your post was intended to look at the benefits and consequences of a state run health care system. As I stated the conference was aimed at mitigating the consequences of an overwhelmed healthcare system. Or am I wrong on this point?

As for the health care you received while in Belgium I have no issue with it and am pleased you are satisfied with the result. What makes the difference in my book is Belgium is nowhere near the size of the US or the population within the US. It is a matter of scaling that doesn't work in my opinion.

Your second paragraph hits more to my point and the expectations of a government that cannot solve all of the issues a society must deal with. That is the point of my observations and questions as had I been in the meeting I certainly would have asked. Whether or not those in attendance could answer the questions or not they are questions that must be taken into account regarding the current and future actions. More to the point it is highly doubtful in my opinion that any of this could have been avoided or mitigated given our form of government. We would still be facing the same issue now even had we acted on this at an earlier stage. In today's environment globalism and a contentious congress certainly dictates that observation.

It is not my intention to drag you into a pissing match as everyone has their opinions based on what is known and what has transpired as of to date. Now I can certainly understand how some people would react and assess the current situation and events prior to what has transpired. What I do know is not everyone has President's Trump's ear let alone the mechanisms to inform President Trump of their opinions. I am curious though of those present who may have had direct contact with President Trump and whether it was a one on one or meeting of a number of people with opinions on the matter.

No issues with the spelling on my part as I am not an English major and I don't grade papers.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Do you know anyone who knows Trump? Was he truthful when he called this a hoax? Was he truthful when he said the numbers were going down? Was he truthful when he said that there would be zero cases cases? Or is he incompetent.

BTW; friend of mine did business with him. Trump is stupid.

Joe Biden is competent, intelligent and stronger than Trump.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017

Trump lied.

The drug is Not approved for treatment of COVID-19. And, at what does does it help with COVID-19? Does it help? Does it require a fatal dose to help?

Try investigating for yourself.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. woollybooger

woollybooger VIP Member

Jul 31, 2018
    You were doing okay until that last sentence. You have to be kidding!

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Do you think that MSNBC doctored the video when Trump called it a hoax? Or said the numbers would go away?

These networks do not quote him. They show his lies.

So we are clear, Trump lied about material facts about this virus and its spread. And you do not care.

• Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  16. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hiawassee..my in-laws are wanting me to buy property there. It’s a relaxing environment but Not sure I’m ready to pull the trigger

17. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    Set aside whether the hoax talk was about the virus or about how it might be used to hurt someone politically. It could be taken either way. I tend to think it was the latter given the context of the statement.

However, using the word in relation to the virus in any way can lead people to believe he thinks it’s a hoax. This thread is proof it produced that effect.

Leaders in a crisis should be careful and disciplined in their messaging. Messages that can be misconstrued can be harmful. There should be less focus on branding (what I think he was doing with that statement) and more focus on identifying and implementing solutions.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. woollybooger

woollybooger VIP Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Further proof that you hear or read what you want to. I distinctly said a treatment for "malaria", but you said COVID-19, not me. There was a test in "another country" on COVID-19 that showed it was a cure. If we try it, I personally hope it works; are you hoping it fails so you can bash Trump some more?

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Yes I have, but as of now I will ignore you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    No. I am not hoping it fails. But there are already studies in the experience in China. And, approval for malaria is not approval for COVID-19 or that it works for COVID-19. It is a lie that the treatment was approved in context. Particularly since the proof it works and at doses that are safe are not there. We should not be debating this drug under these circumstances. The only reason we are is because of Trump. And why do we need a Malria drug to treat a hoax? And why didn’t the virus go away like Trump said it would? You keep ignoring these major lies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1