Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Covid 19 briefing update

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by sflagator, Mar 21, 2020.

1. tec68

tec68 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 12, 2010
    Vero Beach
    Great post.

Many are overreacting one direction or the other but there is clearly going to be a lasting effect on us all. It is now time to start working towards the solutions because it is happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    If I tried to remove your bullets, someone would start screaming about the Second Amendment.
    Also, I don't have a clue how ...

• Funny Funny x 6
  3. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Have you ever been to a beach

4. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    The OP attended a briefing that was setup for an industry by an unknown "expert" that used facts and figures by guessing. Be very careful with your assertations of someone's intent because you are defending zero facts based on your so called assessment of the OP. I don't buy the numbers and do feel that they are extreme calculations intended to strike fear into people. All I care about is how many have died in what period of time and if that numbers is leveling or rising. I also am very interested in eliminating the "Total number of Infected" statistics as a daily report because it implies that those numbers are showing an active case when in fact many of them many have extremely minor or no effects at all. All these numbers provided to us give us no information as to who/what/when or where and that is concerning when people work so hard to extrapolate future prognosis of deaths based on guesses. There..now get off his case.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't have a problem with science, but don't claim it to be true when they're only using the numbers from those who died, that's not science that's bullshit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    No. Is it really true that you can't see the other side of the ocean?

• Funny Funny x 7
  7. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The OP posts on the Insider Board and has a history of accuracy. And he doesn’t post to make it up. He is a lawyer who is capable of assessing information and is “connected.” He is very reliable. He would not have posted this without reliable information. We know this on that board. I assume He came over here to inform (unless the thread was moved). And, the absence of testing has rendered scientific projection necessary. The silver lining is that we know about the serious cases. That there are 25 fold more cases than we know about should provide comfort because it shows that there is a small number of serious cases and that the exercises we are doing are to help the health care system handle those cases by elongating the length of time for those cases to develop. And that we are farther along on the curve. The Op doesn’t need me to defend him. But there are people here who are not on the Insider Boards and don’t know him. His attitude when someone challenges him is to say that the poster can accept or don’t accept what he says, but we know his track record. So, accept the information or not. It is your choice

• Agree x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
  8. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    They aren’t just extrapolating from deaths. They have a lot more epidemiological information than that. From different populations all over the world. And epidemiological history led exponential spread. The disgrace here is the lack of testing. His comment was that deaths are the only reliable number here. Which is true.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    I would not be using a college message board to get my info on this situation. I listen to the daily updates from the President and his team and do what I can to protect my family. I stay off the MSM 24 hour news cycles with their "Breaking News" every 5 minutes in an attempt to get ratings.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    If you listen to the presidential presser, you are being misinformed. You were told at first they this was a hoax. Now we are told anyone who needs a test can get tested. And there is a malaria drug that works (at least until corrected by the scientist). And etc. Trump lies in every press conference. There would be less fear if we had accurate and deep testing. And the links in posts the US, Florida and International threads are very helpful. And we have statistics trained posters here who help explain the science. So reading fact based information here is informative and the posted opinions are just fun.

• Agree x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  11. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    I try to listen too but it's not easy to get the info straight. Every time Dr. Fauci or another expert says something, Trump splashes something all over it that looks like chocolate.

• Winner Winner x 3
  12. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    No problem, they're gone. Someone took the bullets out of my cold, almost dead hands.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    chomp chomp

14. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    And because you're with alot of anger issues

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    Thank you for the update and I certainly would have liked to have been in that meeting.
    If I understand correctly given what was discussed the main focus was centering on overwhelming our health industry and facilities with a substantial influx of people who require medical attention?

That said the hope is to mitigate the infection rate with the hopes of developing an effective vaccine that is months away if not longer. We know people will die from this virus. We also know a substantial majority of the population will recover.

At this point there are questions no one can answer
    1. How long will shelter in place mandates last?
    2. If and when the health facilities are overwhelmed what is the recourse?
    It also appears to me that everyone expects the Federal, State and local governments to take control of the health industry and magically provide medical services, medical supplies and minimal necessities for the population at large. As you stated there is no point in getting into the effects on our economy at this point as we are dealing with the health of a population. This approach highlights the extent of what role our government should take on and to what extent our government should intervene in our daily lives.
    1. Government intervention is limited in what can be done. If the public sector cannot address the potential needs of society what makes people think the government can? As an example out health professionals are complaining about supplies and are expecting the Federal government to address their needs. We all know the Federal, State, and local governments are not in the business of manufacturing any goods with the exception of license plates. Who if anyone can determine how much of any item is required and/or needed? The call is we need respirators, we need masks, we need ventilators yet no one has stated how much is required. In this regard it is the wild west much like hoarding TP at the public level.
    2. Will people reconsider the impacts of government run health care as we are finding out even those countries that have such systems are no better off than what we have at present with regards to a pandemic.
    3. We know what sectors of the population are most at risk. At what point do we write off that sector of the population? Given the governments penchant for intervention at what point does the government confine that sector of the population? Keep in mind the government at this point is confining everyone with shelter in place, congregation and social distancing guidelines / mandates. This has to end at some point and the question is will the population wait for the government to tell them it has ended or will they end it of their own accord.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Thanks for sharing this. I am not sure what you posted is depressing or not, it is the best estimates of our reality...good or bad, and any sensible people should be taking similar precautions as you and your family and me and my wife. We are in that 60 year old range with underlying health issues so we have been secluded for about 10 days now. We can probably go another two weeks without having to go buy anything. In my industry, I work with a lot of folks in China and have been listening to them for months now.

I do have sympathy though for those people who have to leave their houses to work, and to financially try and survive. I cannot arrogantly sit hidden in my house and tell people what THEY should do. I just know that if I ever found out I got our elderly neighbors, or even my wife sick, I would feel horrible. So, we do what we can for ourselves, and our friends and neighbors.

And, I am truly grateful to people working at grocery stores, pharmacies, hospitals and other bio/medical facilities, police and firemen. I do not envy them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The OP is an extremely reliable poster, and I have stickied his post to the top of the page. In all my years on these boards I have never found anything he has said to be false.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  18. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    I knew there was something wrong with me. It took an expert like you to explain it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    LOL @ getting info on this pandemic from Trump. Have you been paying attention at all?

• Winner Winner x 6
  20. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Nobody is saying he's not a reliable poster, but how they're coming up with the numbers and statistics is