Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Covering for Saudi Arabia?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by 96Gatorcise, Jun 18, 2019.

1. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Exclusive: Pompeo blocks inclusion of Saudis on U.S. child soldiers list - sources - Reuters

Umm why are they hiring foreign in the first place?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Ugh, let’s sever our ties with the Saudis

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. finorman

finorman All American

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    It’s a strange story considering that you could walk through any random “gun free zone” high school in this country and find a JROTC program with non functioning weapons, not to mention every basic training class will have 17 year olds attending.

5. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    not sure your point. What does a high school class with non-functioning weapons have to do with underage soldiers fighting in real wars?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    If you dont see the difference ....oh well.

7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    [​IMG]

A poster comparing JROTC to sending recruited foreign 14 year old soldiers into a civil war to fight as mercenary soldiers. Just when I thought too hot crazy couldn't get any crazier.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    the lengths that folks will go to deflect is breathtaking..

This extremely cozy relationship with this particular administration, is likely built more on future earnings for Trump org. We'll see it all play out in the upcoming years, and his followers will deflect that too..

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    The bottom line is that the US does maintain a list of countries that it considers to be using children and teens as soldiers. For some reason, Pompeo refused to put Saudi Arabia on it, despite evidence that it should be there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    Against child soldiers and labor.

However, if I was a kid from Sudan where food can be scarce, I’d probably lie about my age and join. Think about how much 10K is to a Sudanese kid.

They are also still fighting an on and off civil war. Many of the fighters are kids.

So if I’m a kid fighting in Sudan for basically nothing, been trained or have gained fighting knowledge through experience, I’m going to do it for profit for the Saudis.

This is a problem in numerous countries. Many of them have a different opinion on what age a person can work or soldier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Tally me banana Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    Omitting countries that use child soldiers from the child soldier list has been going on since the list began. This is nothing new.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    do you have examples of the U.S. omitting countries after staff experts recommended putting it on the list?

• Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  13. staticgator

staticgator Senior

Nov 27, 2016
    Ugh, let's bone saw our ties with the Saudis

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Good for you! This is an incredibly low standard that I didn't think was debatable in the United States of America, but you've passed, congratulations.

[​IMG]

Wait a minute. This is defending child soldiering! Maybe you are not so against it? You are basically calling it an "opportunity" for them. Sick. Most of these kids are abducted illegally, some as early as the age of 10. So because they are abducted and instead of fighting in their own country - often the Sudan, they are sent to be mercenaries in Yemen that somehow makes it ok? Wut?

Those kids aren't the ones making profit either. They've been brainwashed to be martyrs. If we back this, the U.S. might as well also be labeled a state sponsor of terror and child soldiering.

• Like Like x 1
  15. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    Not defending or backing, but it is an opportunity to some of them.

Would you rather fight for free while starving for make 10K and most likely eat too?

As to abducted kids, I never said that’s ok. I’m talking about volunteers only.

Why do you lefties find the need to twist comments and put words into people’s mouths?

16. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Yes. Yes you are defending it and backing it, and no I'm not twisting words. Your own post was twisted, you spent 5 words proclaiming yourself against child soldiering, then spent the remainder of your post justifying the Saudi's practice. You even double down calling it an "opportunity" for these children to eat.

Maybe you should either think through what you are saying, or just delete the first part that you are against child soldiering. Since that was obviously not accurate.

17. obgator

obgator Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    Families escaping violence and poverty from Central America - horrible people.

Child soldiers recruited for a civil war - an opportunity to eat.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  18. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    [​IMG]

Hey man, does this AK come with a 401K?

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    Not defending it or backing it.

I explained why a Sudanese kid would join the Saudi military vs staying in their country doing the same task. It is an opportunity vs the other choice.

Reading comprehension is your friend.

20. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    The issue is with Saudi Arabia hiring them, not the poor Sudanese kids willing to go.

• Winner Winner x 4