Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Cousins to Warriors

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by cincinnatigator, Jul 2, 2018.

1. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I don't see him having much of an impact. Only plays for half a season, doesn't fit their style of play, won't be able to keep up with their fast paced O or all the switches on D, will probably be more out of shape when he is available to play, is not a great teammate by all accounts, and is coming off one of the worst possible injuries (torn Achilles). They took a flyer on him because he was cheap.

2. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    94-0 with Cal?

3. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    I agree that this could be poison for the Warriors.

Also, it is funny to me that some blame players (ie, durant and perhaps now Cousins) for looking for the best paycheck and situation for themselves... but give Dan Mullen (or Spurrier or Meyer etc) a pass for coming to UF. Perhaps other teams should ask themselves how the Warriors do this and why people take less money to play there, and then try to emulate it. Hint: it starts with Kerr being a great coach to play for and ownership that is intelligent and committed without interfering in basketball operations. It is not like the Knicks can't afford to compete, they are just too poorly run.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I think most of the blame is being directed towards the NBA. They need to change the rules.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. ApexNC

ApexNC VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    I'll watch them beat the Lakers any day!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 All American

Apr 8, 2007
    I was born and raised in the Bay Area, and have followed the Warriors since they moved there in the early 60s. After the disasters of the last 30+ years, we fans don't care any more than Yankees fans about the criticisms (admittedly, I have hated the Yankees since the 50s

7. ballastpointgator

ballastpointgator Senior

Jun 16, 2018
    The NBA needs a hard cap

• Like Like x 1
  8. harnettgator

harnettgator VIP Member

Hi TDP! Nice to hear from you again, and welcome back. I was almost afraid we'd lost you. :p

By the way - I'm not sure to whom you're referring as "Warrior apologists." Perhaps you missed the discussion in the Finals thread, but Javale McGee did really well v. the Cavs. He was a key contributor after Iguoldala went out with that injury. My point earlier in this thread was that, regardless of Boogie's prior All-Star status, he may disrupt the Ws' locker room chemistry and that McGee was a better all-around fit for the Ws.

If you're looking to place blame on Adam Silver as a poor Commissioner, however, I'd be glad to jump on board that party train (pun intended).

• Like Like x 1
  9. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    What do you have against Silver? He’s hands down the best commissioner of any of the sports (admittedly an embarrassing low bar to clear)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    As we have discussed in other threads, there have always been dominant teams in the NBA over the decades. Even in the NBA’s infancy, the Minneapolis Lakers were the dominant team

11. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    Dynasties have existed before (Boston, Lakers, Chicago, Yankees, Dodgers).... This team has 3 recent championships versus 6 or more for the above teams. Why do the rules need changing now versus then? The only difference I see is: (1) the warriors are not a traditional power team and (2) the players are part of the process. Tough luck as to number one b/c every team should be able to ascend.

I think two is the main reason many fans complain - they don't like players having a say (similar situation exists where some want to limit college athletes rights severely - ie, don't want college kids to transfer as easily as coaches move or go pro out of high school). I am a "freedom and competition" guy. Give folks freedom and let them compete - if teams can't build a championship team whose fault is that? The knicks have the highest payroll in the league but are crap. Why is sports the one area that so many demand "equality" when in most areas we say "let the best man win"? Yes, the richer markets will win more, but that has always been true.... the players are just more part of it now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    The salary cap and rules are not even close to what they were back in the day. There are some legitimate reasons for that, but there also are rules that I believe are ruining the game. The cap, luxury tax, exceptions, etc.

Doesn't need to be fair and even. I believe the teams that don't spend money should be punished as well. These owners have the money. If you don't want to spend it, sell to someone that will. There are plenty of people that want to own a professional franchise.

Players should do whatever they can to do the best for themselves. We complain about Saban and Cal and others. They are doing what they are allowed. That is why I think the rules need to be changed.

• Like Like x 1
  13. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator Premium Member

Mar 5, 2017
    I think it's a little more complex than to say every owner should spend the same amount. Not all cities/markets are equal. Some markets are a goldmine for basketball, some aren't. The Knicks always spend a fortune on their players because their market doesn't fluctuate based on performance even though those players probably didn't deserve the contracts. I love Joakim but he didn't deserve that contract. Seattle was an example of a market who only cared when their team was tops in the conference, otherwise they had other interests. Cleveland will spend a lot less now with Lebron gone out of necessity. We see Gainesville being a football market, no matter how bad they do. Our fans seem to only flood the arena when we're a final 4 caliber team. It's sad really.

14. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

I agree with you but I think that Cousins is going to be on his best behavior coming off this kind of injury as he will be playing for a max-deal next summer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. themistocles

themistocles Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Outside of Little League baseball, and even there to a large extent, just about all Championships are Bought.

If you look where the $$$ go and come from, that pretty much tells you everything about everything in the US, whether dealing with Education, Politics, Wars, Economics, Athletics, Prisons, Real-Estate, Markets, Products, etc., etc., etc..

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    That's why I said I don't think it needs to be even, but there should be a little more level of a playing field.

I don't blame the players or the teams, which I why I think the rules need to be changed.

It is sad how some teams fans don't show up. The cost is certainly a factor. Paying players that aren't worth it $150 million doesn't help.

17. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas

I agree but not because of the injury. Cousins has never had significant problems when playing for a coach he respects or, what I'd argue is more important, teammates that warrant, from his perspective, him following their lead.

He had no significant issues at UK and did much better in New Orleans also. He was praised by players and staff during his time on the Olympic team also. Granted, those were short stints - but GS will be also.

Obviously, I like Cousins but I'm not confusing him with being a "character" guy. If he were a ship he'd have a huge sail and nearly no rudder. If an organization, a coach or a group of teammates can't provide enough of a rudder for him - then there will likely be problems eventually. GS doesn't need Cousins and there are certainly bigger alpha's than him already on the roster.

On the basketball side of things, while there may be ways that he doesn't fit as well as other current players from a speed/mobility perspective, it will significantly hurt opposing teams who decide to switch on every screen against GS. If Cousins gets healthy, few if any guards are going to be able to pick him up unlike Green. It also gives GS more insurance if a star player were to get injured.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. harnettgator

harnettgator VIP Member

Yours is a really intriguing post, and I gotta say I love the ship/rudder metaphor you used above! I've been fairly critical of this move from a GSW perspective so let me make sure I'm tracking as to your bigger point on Boogie and how this play out.

Obviously you know more about Cousins' history than me but - if we can agree Boogie did better in NOLA, then we can also probably agree this was likely in response to some recognized Pelicans' leader or authority figure he respected. Yes?

IOW I believe, and think you may be suggesting (correct me if I'm wrong) that Boogie was responding to the leadership of Anthony Davis (I'm a big AD fan) as much, probably more so, than to any Pelican coaching per se.

If that's your point, then I'd agree that Boogie will encounter a similar dynamic at GSW that should theoretically support a more successfully outcome in Oakland.

20. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    We're on the same page! I'd say its an either/or thing for Cousins. He either needs to respect the coach (and I don't think he's as open minded on this as he should/could be) OR respect a teammate enough to stay in line.

As for the metaphor, I like that one too and use it a lot. If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure we're in the same profession.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1