Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Country singer's PR firm drops him after wife's comments on trans

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Sep 10, 2022.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’ve never read that it’s 400 times higher, but in the 20 times higher range, which is still clearly extreme. But that’s still asking the wrong question. Studies need to compare transgenders who didn’t have surgery vs. those that did, because transgenders generally have really high suicide rates.
    If someone believes that surgery will help them feel more of “who they are”, have at it. My issue with what I posted is performing these very invasive and seemingly permanent surgeries on minors. That should just not be happening. Period. Let a kid grow into who they truly are before such a life altering decision is made.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    NEVER is such a tough word to get around.
    It is happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Here's one study for ones who've underwent the surgery: Trends in suicide death risk in transgender people: results from the Amsterdam Cohort of Gender Dysphoria study (1972–2017)

General population: Suicide statistics

Do the simple math and those odds are 441 greater for transgenders who undergo the surgery than the general population.

I'm with you: no minors. But I think that legal age should be 21. Too much evidence that this surgery is a death sentence. Without looking, I'd wager the suicide rate for those who've underwent the surgery is much higher than those who have not. After all, the person who's not been operated on has the option of flipping back as often as they see fit. Which totally happens all the time in that community.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That’s the annual rate, the study was over 40+ years with the total suicides in those 4 decades, which brings you to the roughly twenty times I mentioned, or even lower.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    I stand corrected. But, as you noted, still twenty times the rate of the normal population which is why we shouldn't allow legal transgender surgery before the age of 21.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Do you think that transgendered people are a random draw from the population that would have the same likelihood of committing suicide if they did not have surgery?

7. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Speaking of studies
    Psychiatry.org - Study Finds Long-Term Mental Health Benefits of Gender-Affirming Surgery for Transgender Individuals

Quality of Life Following Male-To-Female Sex Reassignment Surgery
    Analysis finds strong consensus on effectiveness of gender transition treatment | Cornell Chronicle
    A new analysis conducted by researchers at the What We Know Project (WWKP), an initiative of Cornell University’s Center for the Study of Inequality (CSI), reviewed more than 25 years of scholarship on transgender mental health and found a strong consensus that undergoing gender transition can improve the well-being of transgender people.

The year-long review screened more than 4,000 studies and identified 56 that assessed whether gender transition improves the mental well-being of transgender individuals. The analysis concluded that 93 percent of the studies found positive effects from gender transition, indicating “a robust international consensus in the peer-reviewed literature that gender transition, including medical treatments such as hormone therapy and surgeries, improves the overall well-being of transgender individuals.”

8. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Anything less than 100 percent is too low when it involves minors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    So you're willing to prohibit the denial of virtually all treatment for minors to prevent a procedure that is almost never performed. Almost all of the state laws, both enacted and proposed, are written so broadly as to prohibit virtually every form of treatment including counseling and reversible puberty blockers.

10. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    I'm not sure where I said that? It feels like you are trying to provoke an argument for the sake of arguing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Maybe I was wrong but I inferred from your post that you felt so strongly that you would support overly broad legislation prohibiting the treatment of transgender children if it would prevent even one surgical procedure on a minor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I believe his objection, and mine too, is surgical procedures on minors, and I would extend that to age 21 since so many things change between 18 and 21

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    I'm not even sure what you're talking about. This is totally out of left field. If I had my way, there wouldn't be a need to "prevent even one surgical procedure on a minor", as said surgery would be illegal and thus it's a moot point.

• Like Like x 1
  14. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    It's like he's trying to reverse engineer a way for it to be okay for a minor to have a sex change operation, by shrouding it in other arguments surrounding the issue. The core belief is pretty simple. It should be illegal for a doctor to perform a sex change operation on a minor, period. There's no need to nuance it.

• Winner Winner x 1