Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Country singer's PR firm drops him after wife's comments on trans

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Sep 10, 2022.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It may not be the perfect apples to apples, but in 2007 the incidence rate was estimated at .15 percent.

Transgender Population Size in the United States: a Meta-Regression of Population-Based Probability Samples

a pew survey from a few months ago says that among 18-29 year olds, the rate is now as high as 5 percent for gender or non-binary, and is 17 times higher than those over 50. So yeah, pretty sure there’s something else happening, even if there are more legitimate cases than there were before because people can be more open about it

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/06/07/about-5-of-young-adults-in-the-u-s-say-their-gender-is-different-from-their-sex-assigned-at-birth/

But I’m sure it was some similar extrapolation that got those numbers.

2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    You're talking about apples and oranges. There's a huge difference between somebody being transgender and gender nonbinary or nonconforming. A significant portion of our country has come around to the idea that gender is a spectrum, not a binary. I'll also note that Pew's numbers for transgender people in the 18-29 range seem quite a bit higher than the numbers I've seen from other sources, including reputable studies.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    the difference in the numbers is that 80 percent of these folks end up sticking with their gender, it isn’t a true disorder for many of them, but socially induced.
    Which is kind of the point of the thread and my posts. We should be careful with how we treat kids in particular. However terrible it was in what Aldean said, his underlying point isn’t wholly without merit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And if those 80 percent received competent counseling and treatment they would never receive any type of medical intervention. One problem with the way laws prohibiting the treatment of children who may have gender identity disorder is that they are written so broadly that they would even prohibit counseling by trained medical professionals like psychiatrists, clinical psychologists or social workers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Remember how up in arms Americans were about the arms of the social contagion called The Tide Pod Challenge ?

6. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Totally agree. Kids should get proper professional counseling.
    There is apparently a debate now about a “rapid onset” version, where kids don’t show the symptoms for years like they used to. My fear and that of some psychologists as I read around is that those are the socially induced kids. In the hands of a less than stellar psychiatrist, they could be steered towards something they aren’t. This can happen today in other scenarios, kids who are sexually abused by a same sex perpetrator can think they are gay for example. It takes a good psychiatrist to understand the root cause of the fear or belief and not just steer them towards “accepting who they are”. And because this is new on such a scale, a lot of professionals and parents may not even have the expertise to deal with it or understand the difference.
    So there’s a lot here, which is why the numbers spike becomes important on a number of levels.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I remember the ad campaign for "the Tide Pod Challenge" I don't really remember anyone really being up in arms over it although I do vaguely recall concern that the pods resembled candy I don't recall anyone trying to relate the concern to the ad campaign.

8. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    Why did she feel the need to make that comment to begin with?

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Why not “that” comment ? It is a thing.

10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Except her underlying point is without merit. It's a distortion of what's actually happening, a caricature.

11. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s not, it’s a valid question or concern, even if they raised it in a bad way.

Sex-change treatment for kids on the rise

12. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I stand by what I said. I roll my eyes at the idea that it's a bad thing that gender-affirming care is "on the rise" because we, as a society, are starting to be more accepting of transgender people.

And the idea that "tomboys" are at risk of getting forced into being transgender is just insulting. It's no different than suggesting 20 years ago that accepting gay marriage would result in heterosexual people being pressured into marrying gay people.

13. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Nowhere didn’t say it was a “bad thing”. Nor did I say that tomboys should be forced into anything they don’t want to do. Nor should we try and not let kids be who they are.
    I said with numbers rising at high rates, it’s perfectly acceptable to say “maybe there’s more going on here”. And with that, irreversible procedures on children should be something we discuss and debate. Which, However poorly and bigoted it was stated, was the underlying point from Aldean. And as I just posted, even many psychologists agree. So not sure what we are debating.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    “Billy, since you’re feeling a little girly, we’re going to administer these caricatures. Be sure to take two caricatures a day, preferably with food.”

15. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Or maybe there's not.

Aldean's comment is a caricature of what's happening:
    "I’d really like to thank my parents for not changing my gender when I went through my tomboy phase. I love this girly life.”

Then, she decided to keep digging (as you pointed out):
    Then, Aldean doubled down on the false equivalency and wrote on Instagram that “advocating for the genital mutilation of children under the guise of love and calling it ‘gender affirming care’ is one of the worst evils.”

Talking about gender reassignment surgery on children is a red herring. It's like talking about an abortion happening the day before the fetus's anticipated birth date. Conservatives pound that nonsense talking point to try and vilify gender-affirming care, just like Aldean did here. Her point is without merit.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    This is nothing more than a form of bullying. Good for the Aldean's. We need to protect kids.

They will be fine and hopefully in the process we can stop pushing this agenda on kids.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    My advice... No matter what your politics or personal beliefs are, keep them to yourself if you are earning tons of money doing something cool. Or, create an anonymous account on GC and post in Too Hot.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  18. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    I clearly remember concerns that kids might die of poisoning.

19. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    School admins: “So Billy, I understand you’re feeling a little girly these days ?”

Billy: “Well, yeah, kinda.”

School admins: “That’s great! There are a number of options available to you. Would you like us to hook you up ?”

Billy: “Well, okay, I guess.”

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Funny although totally divorced from reality.