Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Couldn't help it.. I had to go virginia forums

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by MyakkaGator, Dec 8, 2019.

1. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Or Maryland in 2001. We like us some Orange Bowl.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    I hope it is like Maryland but to overlook them would be absolutely silly. Very solid and disciplined team that moved the ball on Clemson at will early on. If not for an interception in the end zone first quarter at least would’ve been very ended with tie score.

this is a game in which we need to be very very careful because unless we beat them by two or three touchdowns it ends up looking really bad. Granted, we are much better but I’m glad our coach will not take this one lightly and just assume we will be them by 20 or 30. A ten win for an Institution like Virginia That plays in a bad conference is huge. The pundits are already playing this as acc versus SEC. gotta win by 14 or more. CJ sitting doesn’t hurt us but any other guys sitting good cause issues.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Gotta win by 1 or more.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. G8rNkoko

G8rNkoko GC Hall of Fame

Jul 5, 2008
    They faced 3 of the top 50 defenses in the country this year and lost all 3. We faced 7 of them and won 5 and our defense is better than 2 of the 3.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    That’s true fox but you know as well as I do a 2827 win isn’t what the whole world is expecting or looking for. You and I just want that W but again can’t come in expecting to play kids that have barely played and win this game. It’s about expectations, accountability and the brand and the brand ain’t going to allow beating a team that should not even be ranked in the top 25 by one point.
    You may not be disappointed with the one point win but I will be. What I know about Dan is that he is like SOS in that he wants to beat teams and beat them by quite a bit

• Like Like x 1
  6. beemerthegator

beemerthegator Senior

Dec 1, 2019
    90% of their fans are unaware of whether they even made a bowl. Thanksgiving to them means their actual sports season is starting to hit full swing (basketball of course).

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    I don't care if we win by 1 or 50, just as long as we win.
    Can we host recruits at the bowl game?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Only they're not that good.

They got beat 62 - 17 by a top 5 team but our two losses were by 7 and 14 to top 5 teams, and against LSU, we got robbed out of a TD.

Then, if they're going to do comparisons, then lets talk about their last play win over fsu, a team we had beat at halftime.

• Like Like x 3
  9. spincycle81

spincycle81 GC Legend

Oct 10, 2015
    Can't blame them for being excited, but they have no idea what they're walking in to.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

What am I missing? I read the whole thread. I didn't see anyone claim an easy win. I barely even see anyone claim a win period? I just saw a bunch of comments about airfare.

• Agree x 7
    • Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  11. diehardgator15

diehardgator15 GC Legend

Oct 6, 2019
    How the hell can fans of a team that just gave up 62 points be so high on life?

Predicting a win after that performance is incredible to me.

What fantasy land do they live in?

Oh no no no.... they’re going be so upset when they get stomped by Dan RUTS Mullen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. diehardgator15

diehardgator15 GC Legend

Oct 6, 2019
    Queue trailer for “1917”

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  13. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Last year they skunked USCe 28-0... just saying. Plus Bronco Mendenhall will have that team ready to play.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Did you read the thread? Who is predicting that?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    *If* I'm a Virginia fan, I look at these points:

- FLORIDA has the potential to overlook UVa as an opponent
    - Fans are generally disappointed in the matchup (will we sell out of our allotment? nevermind the ridiculous price the OB charges for this matchup)
    - FLORIDA's best wins away from home are (based on Massey compare):
    - #41 Kentucky (7-5) by 8 pts
    - #59 Miami (6-6) by 4 pts
    - #60 Missouri (6-6) by 17 pts
    - #67 South Carolina (4-8) by 11 pts

The only edge we truly have over Virginia revolves around that Auburn home game. If I'm a Va fan, I look at that as a potential outlier. And I completely ignore the @ Miami and @ Louisville games and focus more on the @ UNC and @ Pitt games.

I'd also look at the fact that we haven't really run on anybody, and making us one dimensional, should, in theory, make us a bit more easier to deal with.

But I'm not a Virginia fan, and I see it as 2 of the top 5 teams in the country were able to stop us...not necessarily easily...and that Virginia doesn't have the ability to do so. I'd love to look at this like a Syracuse of 1998 season or a Maryland of the 2001 season, but those teams were light years ahead of this Virginia squad. This is matchup is, perhaps, more comparable to the Cincinnati matchup in New Orleans.

I hope we get the chance to play a lot of young guys, and I hope those not interested in competing take the option of sitting out. But I'd really like to see us put a stamp on the direction of FLORIDA football in this game.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I was there! Parked in a yard with bars on the windows.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Traded beer for tickets, I expect a similar level of demand for this game (ok, maybe not quite that bad...but could be). The Orange Bowl traditionally does TERRIBLE with ticket sales (at least when not a playoff-type game).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Parked about eight cars deep in a "no-block" spot. Took a couple of hours to get out.

• Like Like x 2
  19. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

"Make it 2-0 vs SEC under Bronco. Maybe we can make it a yearly tradition of beating SEC teams in bowl games."

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    In most major bowl games, you have one team that is excited to be there, and one team that is disappointed to be there. (The playoffs are the obvious exception.) The excited team, with something to prove, usually wins. See: Utah vs Alabama in 2008 and Gators vs. Michigan in 2018.

This Orange Bowl game is going to be different in that neither team should be disappointed to be there. Virginia never expected to beat Clemson, and the Gators knew after Georgia that we weren’t going to the SECCG.

Both teams should be “up” for the game. So it is up to the coaches to get the players really ready to play. I think Mullen, Savage, Grantham
    et al. will do so.

But don’t underestimate Bronco Mendenhall. He’s good.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1