Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Cost of Attendance Athletic Stipend

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by INGATORSWETRUST, Dec 25, 2018.

1. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Alabama's cost of attendance stipend will rank among highest in nation

I’ve discussed this before, but some programs openly tell recruits the stipend difference during the recruiting process. If your wondering why Florida kids are going out of State more often, it is because the system and stipend payment benefits those going out of State. Bama, Auburn and TN have some of highest cost of attendance stipends in the SEC and country. If you are a 17/18 year old kid and can make a vast difference in money by going out of State versus staying in Florida, you do so. This stipend totally changed the recruiting landscape. UF stipend is lower than FSU as well

Do the research. Attached is a 2 year old article. The problem is getting worse, not better.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This needs to capped and set at one steady rate for all student athletes alike, regardless of sport or where you live... no matter the cost of living.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    This has been discussed a few times but it needs to be hammered by higher ups. This is wrong all the way around . There is a direct correlation between higher stipend disbursements to better athletes going to those schools. Another Bama Resourses that not many can overcome. Honestly guys , I hate those bastids . I actually pulled for Georgia to beat them in the SECCG.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Said Saban "We don't need no stinkin bagmen, we already pay more than Florida".

5. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    And if anyone thinks that the "real" cost of living in Tuscaloosa, AL is higher than anywhere in FL, I have a bridge in NY that I would like to sell.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Damn...that must have been tough.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's all about what you are willing to deal with from a domino effect for all financial aid. Bammer, as always, goes into football factory mode.

Realistically, the NCAA should average the top 10-15 CoA numbers and use that as a yearly max. Then each individual school can decide if it's in their interest to hit the cap.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I got some oceanfront property in Arizona. From my front porch you can see the sea. I got some oceanfront property in Arizona. If you buy that I’ll throw the Golden Gate in free

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Why the come on man? I was agreeing with you

• Like Like x 1
  10. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Maybe he didn't like it because you didn't credit the author: George Strait :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    You could also add a luxury tax. If a profitable school wishes to pay above the max, there is a penalty fee to pay. That money is then distributed to the others schools in your conference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    You cannot count kids placed at IMG Academy, American Heritage, and STA as Florida kids going out of state. There is a reason IMG Academy isn't part of the FHSAA and cannot play for state championships.

The business of college football is starting to get out of hand.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. integrator

integrator Junior

Jan 25, 2009
    As is High School football it seems.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    The 8 hour cost of travel estimate should be higher for someone in Gainesville since we are on a peninsula. Most of what surrounds our state is water not other states like in Alabama.

• Like Like x 1
  15. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Three years in cost of attendance stipends paying off

Here is an article on Texas A&Ms recruiting stipend at $6,200 per year. Texas A&M has almost doubled what they pay athletes a year from 2015. When some ask why HS kids pick TAM over a Florida school, some of it is cost of attendance stipends being higher. Nice to have more spending money while in college. If UF increases their stipend, this is another area where you can be more competitive. TAM and Bama revisited their formula and calculation to increase the figure. FSU pays more than UF. Another opportunity for Strickland to create greater parity during the recruiting process.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    That’s because the cost of living in Alabama is so high.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    This is pretty much a nobrainer and fireable offense if I were in charge. Get my athletes the cash or I’ll find someone who will. It’s just unacceptable and second rate.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    I have mentioned about this too multiple times. Someone tried to explain it to me, but I still didn't understand it. My question was, why is there a big disparity? Is UF broke and can't afford to give bigger allowances to it's players? Or, do some schools bend the rules a little to their advantage? I tell you what, $300 more a month can make a lot of difference to these kids.

19. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    That would be better than nothing, but, the only penalty that would really dissuade them is in the win column or scholarship count.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    It likely has nothing to do with being broke - TAMU doubling their stipend cost them an extra $700k per year, which is manageable.

The problem likely has to do with COA increases affecting prospective students across the university. On the march to be a top 5 public university, UF has tried to stand out with exceptionally low tuition. If you look at the list, other than GT/UNC/UCLA/Berkeley (which are still 50%+ more expensive than UF) we’re basically half the cost of any school above us. That is a strong draw for top tier students to choose Florida over others (and also likely why FSU is jumping extremely fast too - now above Miami). Anyway raising the COA would make UF change all their official documents to reflect a higher cost. If that’s realistic then I don’t see a problem, but if it’s stretching the truth to keep up with schools less academically inclined or with much higher tuition anyway, then I don’t know it’s the right move for the school as a whole.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2