Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus - International stories and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8trGr8t, Jan 20, 2020.

1. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I spoke to my son, who lives in Tianjin, China, on Sun. for a 1st hand report. His city hasn't been quarantined yet, but most businesses, except for essential services, like grocery stores and gas stations, are closed until further notice. The school he teaches at is closed. The government is asking everyone to stay in their homes. Everyone is wearing masks, including him. And this is in a major city that hasn't had a single infection, as far as I know. My son stocked up on Spam and water, and is prepared to hunker down for weeks.

He finishes his contract in 2 months, and is coming back to the USA for good, after international teaching for 10 years. I told him maybe he should get while the gettings good, in case they close more airports completely. He doesn't seem worried.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah I was mentioning that to someone today - if all of the doomsdays about this virus - transmittal before symptoms, easily transmitted, high death rate etc had been true, you would think that others in the US would have been infected, that some of the infected would have died etc. Still could happen, but as each day passes it seems less likely.

as far as deaths in Wuhan, just do some basic math and the numbers are staggering.
    Let’s assume there are 9 million people left in the city, which I quoted yesterday. Let’s say even 10 percent of the population is infected, that’s 900,000 people. Then assume even a three percent mortality rate, and that’s 27k deaths. And that’s not even accounting for increased mortality as conditions and medical care deteriorate.

so seeing a bunch of dead people in Wuhan doesn’t mean much just yet, other than China is fudging the numbers, which we all expect is true.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
  4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    this is today’s official report from the SCMP. It confirms those numbers, but they are also claiming people aren’t infectious during the incubation period. While China can’t be fully trusted, I actually believe them here, or the disease would be all over the world in large numbers already, and the infected US people would have infected a bunch of others as I said above. If true, that greatly reduces the threat.

Coronavirus death toll climbs to 106, China admits shortage of medical supplies

5. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Can’t imagine closing down a country like China is doing. Chinese New Year was extended 3 days. We do a lot of business with China. Right now there are no delays. Bet that changes.

My youngest is taking Chinese in school. I wonder when he learns virus vocabulary?

6. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    How did five million people leave without causing complete chaos?

7. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Just glad Mrs51 doesn't watch the news. She's a hypochondriac and would certainly have symptoms by now.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
  9. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Your neighbor gets virus: "mae-oh wen-tee"

Your family gets virus: "showw wen-tee"

You get virus: "doww wen-tee"

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    The serious news seems to be that both Germany and Japan have had secondary cases of the virus appear. People who did not travel to China are coming down with the virus. And I don't think they have as of yet identified who they came in contact with that brought it back from China.

I would wait a few weeks before declaring this virus irrelevant. There could be hundreds of thousands infected in Wuhan alone (and tens of thousands in the rest of China), but not showing symptoms yet. I would be concerned about everyone in the U.S. that traveled aboard the same airplane as the five who brought it back with them, as well as the people that they will be interacting with in the next two weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    I read the Forbidden City and a popular section of the Great Wall are now closed. My family has 4 or 5 weeks to make a decision but if the sites remain closed they will cancel their trip. Visas are expensive but are good for years to come so the trip can be made in the future when things settle down there.

12. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013

13. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Germans now have four cases, but can trace the spread of the virus back to a Chinese employee of a German car parts firm. The employee, who was based in Shanghai, visited Germany after her parents visited from Wuhan, and did not get sick until the flight back to China.

Four co-workers in Germany contract coronavirus after Chinese colleague visits

It will be interesting to see how well Germany can contain the virus. It may foreshadow what happens here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I am hearing that essentially all tourism in China has been stopped. And some airlines are offering either full refunds or a chance to re-schedule with no change fee.

My trip to China got cancelled. I will probably go later in the year.

• Like Like x 1
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    that extended incubation time while being contagious is concerning. It will make it that much harder to contain

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    British Airways have stopped all flights to China. Just a matter of time before Mr. Trump puts a halt to flights to China.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013

It appears Chinese authorities are barricading some people into their apts in some towns so they can't leave.

18. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Always good knowing they have the situation under control..........

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    In no particular order....
    Mom(old bad COPD mad at the world), sister-in-law(giant narcissist) , cousin(or aunt, old post stoke not happy)

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Don't we all have a few of those...