Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus - International stories and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8trGr8t, Jan 20, 2020.

1. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Xi says China faces 'grave situation' as virus death toll hits 41

BEIJING (Reuters) - President Xi Jinping said China was facing a “grave situation” as the death toll from the coronavirus outbreak jumped to 41, overshadowing celebrations of the Lunar New Year that began on Saturday.

With more than 1,400 people infected worldwide, most of them in China, Hong Kong declared a virus emergency, scrapped celebrations and restricted links to mainland China.

Australia confirmed its first four cases on Saturday, Malaysia confirmed four and France reported Europe’s first cases on Friday, as health authorities around the world scrambled to prevent a pandemic.

The death toll in China has risen to 41, authorities reported on Saturday, up from 26 a day earlier. As of 6 p.m. local time (1000 GMT), 1,372 people in China had been infected with the virus - traced to a seafood market in Wuhan that was illegally selling wildlife.

Xi says China faces 'grave situation' as virus death toll hits 41

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I think a big cause for the concern is the realization that China may be grossly under reporting statistics on it combined with the possibility that it’s too early to really know accurate mortality rates - if there’s 1,000 cases, 30 have died, 60 have recovered, and the rest are still hospitalized, we have no idea what the actual mortality rate is, but it’s almost certainly not 3%. And the way China is reacting (building emergency hospitals and completely quarantining major cities with a combined population greater than Florida) sure suggests that they think they’ve got something on their hands that is much worse than just marginally more serious than the seasonal flu.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013

4. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Hopefully this causes China to crack down these illegal markets. Seems like they’ve just turned their heads in the past.

5. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    [​IMG]

6. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Based on the way the basketball game went, I just might have a case of Corona virus tomorrow morning. o_O:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Yes I would agree with the under reporting and the more that is learned about this virus, the worse it sounds for sure. You've got epidemiologists out there saying it's 'silently contagious'. If that's the case, not good. :emoji_grimacing:

8. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    And now a 3rd confirmed case has been identified in the U.S.

9. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I wonder how this will tie in, if at all, with the recent scandals at various universities about medical researchers illegally being paid and sharing data with the Chinese

10. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Obviously, we can't believe everything we read online, but sheesh, you can't believe the Chinese government either, right? Over on r/Coronavirus, they are stating 100,000 infections as a matter of fact and that the Chinese government are downplaying the figures immensely. One of the reasons is they are citing is that people with "pneumonia" symptoms are dying waiting to be seen by doctors. And you have to admit, the way the Chinese authorities are behaving, it looks like a scene from a horror film.

11. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
  12. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I just heard they found a cure for the Corona Virus. They just haven't figured out where to inject the lime. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    U.S. up to 5 confirmed cases now. I've read that it can be spread through the eyes, so masks that don't cover the eyes are of no use. Also, you don't have to be sick to transmit it and it takes two weeks before you start to show symptoms. With it being in such a concentrated area of people, yikes...

• Like Like x 1
  14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Stock futures are getting beaten up again, there’s real fear that it will stunt world growth Until it calms down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I saw a picture of someone wearing a medical mask over their eyes. I was wondering where that came from...

16. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    This thing sure is getting a lot of focus for basically a mild flu. Clearly I don’t understand Virology. I feel like I want to get it and develop immunity before it mutates into a zombie apocalypse virus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    SARS ended up being overhyped (as far as the risk), but any potential pandemic event is going to be scary. Even the flu itself has history of killing 10’s of millions in its worst case.

Ebola has freaked people out a few times, and those outbreaks are usually limited to just thousands of people in Africa. Yet, I think the prospect of an easily communicable superbug needs to be taken seriously. It’s worth watching until they get a handle on it. Maybe it ends up nothing, but their response seems far more serious than SARS imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    A lot of videos of people in those Chinese cities looking dead spread out on sidewalks and the govt sending Vans out forcefully rounding up people they suspect might have it I guess. I wonder if this really came from them eating that bat soup and cobras or if this stuff got lose from that bio lab in the town where the most cases are at.

20. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    A bit of good news:

New coronavirus 'not spreading' in the US, CDC says

The new coronavirus that's sickened thousands of people in China and put the world on edge is not spreading in the U.S., health officials said in news conference Monday.

"We understand that many people in the Unites States are worried about this virus," said Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention).

"At this time, in the U.S., the virus is not spreading in the community," she added. "For that reason we continue to believe that the immediate health risk from the new virus to the general public is low at this time.”

In the U.S., 110 individuals from 26 states are being investigated to determine whether they have coronavirus. Of those individuals, 32 have tested negative, five have tested positive, and the remaining test results are pending.

New coronavirus 'not spreading' in the US, CDC says