Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus - International stories and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8trGr8t, Jan 20, 2020.

1. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    We need a good pandemic to cull the population......

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Are possums eaten by rednecks? That’s something I haven’t witnessed.

I’ve had a few kitchen fires I investigated that involved possum being fried or baked in the oven. They are very greasy. All were being cooked by people of color, FYI.

3. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007

4. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    It really seems like this virus is well handled with decent nursing care. Only the old and immunocompromised seem to be affected. Everyone is panicking but I dont know why.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah the mortality rate seems low, and corona viruses don’t cause pandemics. It could mutate if course and it’s worth watching, but it’s just one more thing to draw eyeballs to whomever is out there yelling about it.

“If you’re asking yourself the same thing right now, you’ll be relieved to know it’s probably not pandemic bad. “The only agent that can do that, that we know of today, is influenza,” says Mike Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota. Coronaviruses just don’t have pandemic potential. At most, they can cause multiple, geographically localized outbreaks.”

Could China's New Coronavirus Become a Global Epidemic?

6. camp1

camp1 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That may be correct but I doubt anyone is volunteering themselves or family members.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I lived in Hong Kong back in 2013. Traveled China and loved it. It’s my kids favorite memories.

I was there at the height of Avian Flu H7N9. Hong Kong screened us every time we came thru with a heat sensor for body temp. Citizens walked around with masks when they were sick or pregnant.

It wasn’t a big deal. Even in Beijing. Both my kids had swine flu a decade earlier traveling. I got a nasty stomach bug in El Salvador that I’ll put up against any named virus ever. Wanted to die a slow painful death as that would have improved my situation immensely.

I’m a gambler so don’t take my advice but I tend to believe these are usually overblown in risk percent until the zombies start walking.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    maybe that is how the planet will fight back. Of your closest 10 friends family which 3 do you want to contribute?

9. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    because of the likelihood of mutation and the apparent ease of human to human transmission. The virus today isn't the virus next week.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    China is great. One of my top two favorite countries I’ve visited. I plan to take my kids there too but I want them to be older first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    I get that but it's going to infect hundreds of people in the USA if it spreads and kill maybe 1 old or immunocompromised person. Everyone is overreacting.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    My brother pat and his whole family, except for his daughter Stephanie the rest of the family is dead weight

13. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    My family members are still planning on going. Grand Junction son and wife and their 2 sons, 14 and 11, and my daughter from Austin and her 8 year old son. Sixteen year old G J grand daughter will be in France on a trip with her French language class and chaperones.

Eight year old came home from school yesterday, upset, telling his mother he now does not want to go. One of his classmates told him 3000 people had died in China and he would get sick, too, if he went.

I advised her to contact the teacher and have her speak to the class about passing on BS rumors - or making them up, whatever the case is here with this young BSing rumor monger. If he isn't corrected and stopped he will become one of those who irresponsibly repeat rumors on the 'Net. We all know who they are... :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Trump should slap a tariff on this Chinese virus. Charge 'em for every American illness.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    China Coronavirus: Wuhan 'nurse' claims bodies left unattended | Daily Mail Online

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

According to a version re-posted on Twitter, dead bodies covered in white sheets were seen being left to lie in a hospital corridor, crammed with medical workers and patients.

A woman, believed to be the blogger, can be heard saying from behind the camera: 'Three corpses, [they] have been lying here all morning. Some of them died in the wee hours. Nobody has come to deal with [them] yet.

'And doctors, nurses and patients, they all work in such an environment. This is what is going on in a designated hospital. Not a single person is here to manage.'

She went on to complain about the fact that even the executives of the hospital could not resolve the issue.

16. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Some good epidemiologists might take issue with claims that it's overblown. The alarm about infectious disease breakout is in the nature of its ability to spread uncontrolled and possibly mutate, and even where not deadly for healthy older children and adults, viruses often can be for the elderly, very young children, and those with compromised immune systems.

I'm sure you know all this already and thus as a *gambler* it would seem you have a higher risk tolerance than others. For me, it depends. I'd easily go to China at any time except during any breakout, but I'd also probably wear a mask while there and obsessing a little over staying healthy. :)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  17. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    [​IMG]

18. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I was just about to say that too

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  19. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Approx 3% mortality rate, sounds like attributed to developing viral pneumonia.

20. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    My wife is Taiwanese and just translated it for me. It's a nurse from the afflicted area, whose husband possessed the virus for eight days. Basically claims that the news is not being accurately reported and that the clinics will not accept her husband for treatment. She is seeking help.

• Informative Informative x 4