Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus - International stories and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8trGr8t, Jan 20, 2020.

1. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Which is exactly why even if that is what Trump was saying, I have zero problem with it. What do you expect him to say? "We're probably going to have hundreds of deaths from this"? You see how people are already going waaaaay overboard, imagine if he had said that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    he doesn't need to make any predictions. Otherwise, he needs to tell the truth, but it's kind of pointless to expect that, isn't it?
    PolitiFact

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    One prominent scientist has brought up the mutations and China says they have identified one already.

Will a vaccine developed for the first one also work for a mutated second strain?

4. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    What if it's been circulating here for a while but there were no tests to verify. I caught a nasty respiratory virus in early December that I was pretty sure was the flu but tested negative.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    "Even if"? There are videos with those words coming out of his mouth.

Then we disagree. People will lose confidence in the CDC and the authorities and decide they are hiding the truth. Then panic really will start, and there's no bank of good will.

I will keep listening to your position, as it's possible we find out in two weeks (hopefully) that the exponent didn't happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    New to Too Hot?;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Actually, yes, I've been on the board since 2004 but these are my first posts here. I want to contribute to mutual respect of differing opinions on this situation, as I worry in one month, that might be in short supply. Along with hospital beds, medical workers, and spring football.

• Like Like x 4
  8. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    I was kidding. Welcome aboard. Glad you're here.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Obviously not an expert, but my limited understanding is that may depending on the extent of the mutation. The reason seasonal flu shots are not foolproof are because they fail to prevent significant mutations that occur after formulation. But they do capture some. That’s a vague answer, I acknowledge, but is the extent of my knowledge, but also I think accurate.

Here’s my angle, admittedly speculative. Knowledgeable epidemiologists and public health officials see, VERY scared, in disproportion to understood danger based on current lethality. I interpret that fear, again speculating, is that there is reason to believe that COVID-19 shows some enhanced propensity to more lethal mutation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Big mistake on your part. I made the same mistake years ago...

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    More cases in Florida, deaths in Lee County and Santa Rosa county. If this takes weeks to show symptoms then I am fairly certain that these people have already crossed paths with many, many others

New Coronavirus In Florida: 6 More Cases Reported

Here is a summary of the new cases announced Saturday by county:

• Lee County. A second case was reported in Lee County. Officials announced Friday that an elderly patient passed away from the illness.
    • Charlotte County.
    • Okaloosa County. Officials said this patient recently returned from a trip.
    • Volusia County. This patient also recently returned from a trip.
    • Manatee County. Two new cases were reported here, including an 81-year-old woman, who recently took a trip outside the United States. A third person who tested positive for the illness was described as a man in his 60s who had been hospitalized with pneumonia. That patient was reportedly discharged from Doctors Hospital of Sarasota, according to WBBH-TV.
    The other death announced Friday involved a patient from Santa Rosa County, whom DeSantis described as older than 70 with a recent history of international travel.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    It will be the zombie apocalypse in the Villages!!!!!

Golf carts will litter the streets.........

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Funny and not funny.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I live in a tourist area.

This is something I have wondered about. In mid January, I was lethargic for a couple of days and then developed fever and chills. Major sweats from the advil.

Lasted for a week. Slight Dry cough. Minimal irritated throat. No congestion.

Tested negative for flu. Did not have a cold. Dr. thought it highly probable it was bacterial. But, no one had heard of coronavirus then.

Who knows, right?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    "Mutual respect of differing opinions?" Well, that will change?

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  17. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Do you believe that the Chinese gubmnt is reporting real numbers?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Sure could be one of the reasons it appears to be spreading so quick now, no one was tested up until a couple of weeks ago here in the states.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    My daughter in laws sister started her 14 day quarantine Friday. No kidding, she was the nurse that attended the first patient in Manatee county.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  20. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    It was a weird sickness for me. Don't know what I had. The advil fighting the fever made me perspire like I had been in a shower.

• Friendly Friendly x 1