Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    biden could win and shut down for months

• Like Like x 2
  2. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Chattanooga
    Probably only take 6 weeks. Better than limping along for a couple of years. Cheaper too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Biden is most likely going to win and he won’t shut anything down.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  4. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 2
  5. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    We were shut down for six weeks in March/April, what will be different this time?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Chattanooga
    Piecemeal shutdown with no national strategy and a President who's downplaying the seriousness of the crisis created a large segment of the population who are virulent anti-maskers during an airborne pandemic. A band of morons that we still have to deal with now as we limp along. The only thing we've accomplished to this point is a better understanding of how to treat it.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Leadership.
    A plan.
    Not relying on Demon Sperm Doctor for information.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Are you a small business owner? Just curious how you will be affected financially by a 6 week shutdown.

• Like Like x 2
  9. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The places that opened and where spread occurred wouldn’t be.

10. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Small business owners are being affected significantly anyway by the reluctance of people to go out in communities where there is community spread. Which is a reason for increased unemployment numbers despite reopening. Openings need to be with consumer confidence. And that includes the willingness to reduce cases, test, contact trace and do targeted shut downs and quarantines where there are outbreaks. And mask wearing and hand washing. Because but everyone is willing to sit or stand for hours near people who may be COVID positive. And it looks like nobody in Trumplandia took anything from the WH super spreader event. Same tired arguments despite seeing more than 30 public figures get sick. At least 2 hospitalized. And, of course, they had access to the best medical care immediately. Because freedom means allowing you to spread and catch a disease.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    My 1 hr wait for a table at the only high end restaurant I could get in Thursday evening says you are mistaken. Granted, the healthy population living in the panhandle is probably less fearful than the majority of the US on average.

And, you didn’t even answer the question I asked which wasn’t directed at you.

• Like Like x 2
  12. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    . Right. Your singular experience at one establishment typifies the country. What it does show is why there is community spread that is growing. And, the term fearful is shameful. The Panhandle, being Trumplandia as shown by your restaurant experience, shows far more reckless indifference to the health and well being of others than most places. Fear has nothing to do with it. The healthy person who doesn’t give a damn if he speeds the disease in a community to others who then spread the disease to those who are more vulnerable to more seriously illness. And who labels responsible people as “fearful” or “afraid.” The right wing has always been good at coming up with insults for those who behave differently than them. I reject terming critiques of reckless as irresponsible behavior like packing places as “fear.” It is well documented that this is how this disease spreads and, of course, now, hospitals are becoming over crowded in places like Kansas City, Wisconsin and elsewhere. That’s on people like you. And me, I am a part owner of a law firm. We, like everyone else, are affected the extent our clients are affected. But, it is indirect. We still open and are able to distance in our office. We can also work remotely. But, the increase in the unemployment numbers every week below your argument that what we are doing now is working. The reckless behavior at the restaurant you went to is not typical nationally

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
  13. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    @duchen, I saw a story on the news that some Orthodox Jews are suing Governor Cuomo over COVID restrictions. What practices do they have that are in conflict with the restrictions? What would be different from other religions?

14. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    So you are part of the liberal eite, insulated financially from economic impact of a 6 week shutdown you want to force on other Americans. Can’t say I’m surprised.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  15. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Don’t take offense. You are in a position that supports your stance. It’s logical. If you were a restaurant owner with a young family, I think you’d have a different take.

As an individual who favors less, not more gov control, I’d never support any mandated shutdowns except under the most dire circumstances (like shutting down flights during the 9-11 attack). The thought that it could happen again here for covid is just nauseating to me. It’s setting a frightful precedent.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I'm B- (let the jokes fly by @buckeyegator ) so good news if true.

17. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    . So the best you can do is hurl an insult rather than discussing policy. And
    You misread what I posted. There is nothing “liberal” about virology or epidemiology. But. Apparently, you are part of the right wing “survival of the Fittest” Trump cult that sees hundreds of thousands of dead people and untold numbers suffering long term effects of a disease as the cost of doing business. A cult that has blinded itself to the reality of what is happening in wide areas of this country because what we are doing isn’t working. It isn’t working to stop the virus directly or to help the economy. From our point of view, Having clients who can’t pay bills doesn’t do a law firm any good. Having business clients close or struggle doesn’t do any good. Not being able to move cases to trial doesn’t do any good. From a larger perspective, lack of consumer confidence isn’t helping the economy. Which is why unemployment is increasing even though the governor ordered the state reopened. Nevertheless, a shutdown in highly infected areas, getting the virus reduced to where contact tracing would be effective, would increase consumer confidence and promote reopenings. Particularly if targeted. There would be Short term pain in exchange for a more robust reopening. So would wearing masks and hand washing, to very Easy things to do that the right wing refuses to do, as reflected by the Trump superspreader events everywhere. And with government support, which can be at Lower levels once the virus ins under control. The way the right wing behaves is just making it worse. As shown by the Barrett superspreader. Why do you think a crowded restaurant would be any different? Or someone infected there would not spread the disease to someone who might spread it to a vulnerable person. But, the right wing just sticks to their position no matter the high profile empirical evidence. And when confronted with reality, hurls insults like “liberal elite” or other names to support their baseless positions.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Repugnant, fallacious attack.

There are liberals and conservatives alike that think a shutdown may be needed.
    There are poor and rich people alike that think a shutdown may be needed.

Casting dispersions like "liberal eite [sic]" to score an ad hominem point is childish and discrediting. I know, you don't care.

A better man would apologize. Truly sad.

• Agree x 5
    • Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Winner x 1
  19. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Chattanooga
    I'm not. But if I was, I would much prefer a 6 week shutdown to limping along for months at reduced capacity with no end in sight hemorrhaging money. Pretty tough to plan on that scenario. Not to mention the 100's of thousands of innocent lives lost.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. littlebluelw

littlebluelw GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Please. All the hateful attacks and name
    calling that goes on here and now ‘liberal elite’ is repugnant?
    Again, please.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2