Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Hopefully it stays that way. Maybe it will. Five weeks, though, is quite early to form conclusions about the effects of opening schools on viral spread. It probably takes time for the virus to spread from young/asymptomatic people to those who experience symptoms, get tested, and suffer health impacts.

Are you sure all Florida schools are open? High schools in our local district don't open until next week and that will be with reduced capacity. Schools in a neighboring community opened a couple weeks ago with lowered capacity. Most of the schools up north open later than the southern schools and many have delayed opening. Our university delayed in-person by two weeks. Again, it's too early to form conclusions about school openings and the impact of viral spread. If the U.S. was out in front of the virus, those concerns would be much less substantial.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    so 5 weeks is to early, yet people say 2-3 post holiday is when increases occur, which of course they have not, so what is the actual time from exposure to positivity, what people want it to be to suite their agenda?

3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Not sure what agenda you think I and others have, other than a desire for safety, health, wellness, and truth.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Holiday infections are among mature people likely to see symptoms. School infections among asym or low sym patients have to go to second level to impact people likely to experience impacts bad enough to warrant testing. Very possible that severity of most infectious strain is less toxic as it mutates and that is helping limit people being tested

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    School in Florida is on week 7 for most districts, not 5 FYI.

6. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    makes my point even better

7. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    i am saying it seems odd that there is a 2-3 week incubation period 1 day, then other days some say it takes 5-6 weeks, especially from children to adults, yet if a child tests positive the whole school class, adult teacher included must quarantine even if the 5-6 week period has not been reached.

8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    You appear to be operating under some really barren assumptions. Nobody said anything about a 5-6 week incubation period. You might consult with a virologist or other medical professional to learn more about community spread. I hear Dr. Fauci is available. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    fauci, huh, well since i am not with any media i doubt he has time for me,so, just what are the various incubation periods out there for adults, teens and young adults, children?

10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I haven't professed to know anything about incubation periods of various individuals, but I'm sure you can look that information up. Good luck and may peace be with you.

• Like Like x 1
  11. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    what, you did not stay at a holiday inn?

• Like Like x 1
  12. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    After an intense 8 months of study you have concluded this have you? Well done. Personally, I will go ahead and wait for at least 1 full year of data to compare to the ~ 100+ years of data on Influenzas.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    deaths down by 120 for same day last week

• Like Like x 2
  14. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    fake news, fake news we are going to explode in cases after the holiday, sorry that horse is not dead yet

15. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

16. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep. I look at the data. Now all of a sudden it’s going to start killing young people? Ok, good luck with that line of thinking. The normal people are back living their lives. All of our lives have inherent risk. Covid risk to anyone under 25 is so far down the list of things that could kill them that it’s stupid to even talk about.

17. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You seem to spend a lot of time screaming at clouds.

The dynamics of this contagion are complex and unpredictable. The community response to the disease is uncoordinated and haphazard. Your perspective seems to disregard these complexities and are biased toward conspiracies and magical thinking. The resultant blow-by-blow, passive aggressive snark creates a fundamental fatigue for me. Should I just put you on my 'ignore list'?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  19. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The issue is kids need teachers, bus drivers, administrators, and a whole other list of adults to make school something other than a waste of time. And all these people are adults. They are all at higher risk than the kids.

Arizona has let each school district to decide if/when to reopen. Most schools reopened in the last three to four weeks or so, and state data has shown a 1% increase in positive tests in the last two weeks. There are also some football programs that have had multiple tests, including a school in N. Phoenix, and one in Scottsdale. Teams and coaches are now in quarantine, and a few games have been postponed. Hopefully, none of the coaches or parents get sick. Because they too are adults, and are at higher risk.

Now admittedly, the schools being open has not caused a meteoric rise in cases. That's because mask and social distancing protocols have been strictly adhered to. It does make in-person school at least manageable. But it is an increased risk, and about 300 teachers, state-wide, who are either 50 or older or with other pre-existing conditions have quit so far this year, adding to an already teacher shortage problem in the state.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

You answered your own question. Schools being open hasn't caused an outbreak. Get kids back into schools who want to attend in person. Same with teachers.