Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    That's a dad joke. It's apparent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    Mayor to roll back Atlanta’s reopening plan to Phase 1

Atlanta going back to phase 1. The Mayor was pretty much told to stop going rouge by mandating masks and to follow to Gov’s guidelines. Well, we don’t meet phase 2 requirements of the governors guidelines, so as a big middle finger to him she’s putting phase 1 back into effect shutting down all non essential business.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    71k cases today and counting, deaths up 30% over last Friday. And still not done for the day.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 4
  4. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    This is an Italian study, but published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), so I am going to put it here. By no means a concrete piece of research, but more and more stories like this are cropping up. The damage to cells in organs, in blood vessels and in the brain may not recover quickly, if ever. Young people trying to get sick are playing Russian Roulette with their futures.

Persistent Symptoms in Patients After Acute COVID-19

• Informative Informative x 4
  5. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    You want to place a bet on us passing France? It’s coming.

Belgium, UK, Spain, Italy, Sweden, France, USA. That’s the seven highest per capita. (Excluded San Marino and Andorra)

Collectively, those six countries had about 2,600 cases today. We had 70,000.

If you want a wager on France and Spain staying higher than us, let me know. We are not doing the work to end the failure.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2020
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    The temp is rising and the water is starting to roll.....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. altalias

altalias GC Hall of Fame

Aug 13, 2008
    I think i already used Sunday Morning Coming Down
    so...
    Pleasant Valley Sunday – The Monkees

9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Of course, going rouge can be a good thing.
    [​IMG]

• Like x 5
    • Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Granted last Saturday was a holiday, but there were 285 deaths.
    Just past Noon today, and before California georgia texas NY NJ, Michigan etc have reported, wee are at 287.

11. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

Iowa plays baseball and softball in the summer. The gov (R) allowed them to start practice on June 1 and games a couple of weeks later. At the time I wondered how it would go--would their be teams forced to end their season? Would coaches work around the rules? Would kids be at risk? I realize colleges and universities can have more control etc--but I think there are some schools and coaches who are not above cheating and I think their are some school administrators who would be willing to bend the rules to look good and win praise!

Iowa became the first state in the nation to restart high school sports amid the pandemic, allowing baseball and softball high school teams to resume their summer seasons in early June. It was believed to be the first return of organized sports in the country, following many professional and school leagues’ shut-downs. But now over 48 teams and 40 Iowa schools have been disrupted by COVID-19 complications, a local educator finds.

“Some of these counties are requiring that the person who tests positive goes home for 14 days and everyone else can continue. Some are saying everybody is suspended for two weeks, which is what it should be. My main concern is that they’re not all playing by the same rules,” said Iowa Rep. Molly Donahue, D-Cedar Rapids.

“The rules aren’t being applied equitably based upon what county you happen to be in and where your school district is,” said Richardson, who is also a former baseball player and coach. “Sometimes you have coaches who place winning above maybe how the rules are applied.”

“I know of a couple of places where they had a player that was sick and they took that player and held him out of the game and took the rest of the team playing, or where they’ve made a decision jointly with parents where they would hold off testing the kid so that if it was positive, the rest of the team could play, the whole season wouldn’t be postponed,” he added. “Which is really risky. I think it’s crazy, but that’s what’s happening.”

Iowa Summer Sports Problems May Foreshadow School Reopenings | Iowa Starting Line

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Here's a good article about Tucson Medical Center, the largest hospital in Southern Arizona. It's ground zero for COVID-19 care for 1/3 of the state.

The good news is no rationing of care yet, and more people are surviving. The bad news? The hospital had to add ICU beds and are at capacity, and they need to add more.

• Informative Informative x 3
  13. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    More sad stories of ignorance turned tragic....

30-year-old dies after Texas 'COVID party,' thought coronavirus was a hoax

• Winner Winner x 3
  14. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    This was probably inevitable....

Hospitals running short of remdesivir for Covid-19 patients - STAT

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Last I saw, he was stuck in a tail pipe.

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Omg, Trump finally,m8ally, finally wore a mask in public, when visiting a Walter Reed today.
    I am shocked but happy he finally did the right thing, even if it’s three months and 130k deaths too late.

• Like Like x 3
  17. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
  18. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
  19. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

• Like Like x 1
  20. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Most Saturday deaths today since May 17.