Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Yes, I'm sure those are as fine as a cloth mask. I'd even assume they are at least better than most cloth masks.

I'm just saying I would find them sketchy in an N95 application, and when someone says "N95 masks are impossible to find", giving a link to a "brand new" company selling Chinese KN95 masks in no way refutes that.

2. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I didn't use the suggestion that KN95 are as good as N95 masks. Only said that I got my mom to order some KN95 masks as I feel they are better than a cloth or medical mask. That's just me. We then had a poster think every site selling them is a scam. There are scammers out there for sure, but that's not a reason to not buy a KN95 mask. I never once intimated that N95 masks are attainable at all. I said if you can get one that's great or use a KN95 mask, as they are very close to an N95 mask as shown by the studies I posted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Not every site selling them is a scam. However, the scams and non-scams are essentially indistinguishable right now. These are companies shipping in small quantities of unregulated products outside of the standard supply chains and were recently formed with no track record. The medical supply industry has been filled with scammers for years because it is perfect grounds to scam people. They sell experience or even credence goods (experience goods are those that you won't know their quality until using them; a credence good is one in which you will never know the quality) to largely an elderly population. Regulation is sparse and not well-suited to the rapid changes in demand and technology.

Regardless, on a mass scale, this is not a solution to the isolation issue. Small batch sales from pop-ups of sketchy products is not a solution on mass scale for the over 50 million seniors, not even mentioning the non-seniors with pre-existing conditions, to be protected from a population that surrounds them and has a mass outbreak. The best protection is still to limit the outbreak that is going on around them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  4. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    My mom's N95 can beat up your mom's N95.

• Funny Funny x 7
  5. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Well, the reality is that most sites selling KN95 probably are scams - at least for those requiring an actual supply of N95 or KN95 (certified) masks. If they were verified KN95 that would be one thing, but how would you know they are legit given they are only claiming a Chinese certification? Who is verifying where these were produced and who certified them? That was the problem with some of the masks the government brought in, they were supposed to be KN95, but turned out they were junk. Nothing was verified. What are the odds that some random pop-up site actually has legitimate KN95 masks? I'd say quite low.

But I do agree with your basic premise, even a shoddy KN95 is probably better than some random cloth mask at least, but only marginally so and I wouldn't count on much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Disagree on most of what you said but to each their own. My mom and my uncle got theirs and had no issues. I know Rip also used the site as well as many in my moms facility.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Scored a nice deal on my mom's N95 from these guys.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    Mask Wars - Could make a good reality TV show.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    curtis, you must stop all this positive news, dont you know sunshine pumping is frowned upon here, no good news for us.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    The difference between you and Oklahoma is you put your own personal spin on it. Oklahoma posted a simple fact. But yeah, you got us all pegged as good news haters. Good news is the worst.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    my personal spin? i report daily and weekly new cases, daily and weekly deaths, point out when they both go down from previous weeks, and all of this is somehow bad?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  12. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    if you are not good news haters, where did the phrase " sunshine pumper " come from and how is it relevant to my numbers posting? would you rather only see negative posts all the time?

13. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Bevin victory party.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Arizona bars, movie theaters, gyms, and other recreational spaces have been closed for 30 days starting tonight. Arizona also generally has a very early start of the school year, with some schools starting as early as the last week in July, and most open by early August, in an attempt to keep the kids out of school during the hottest of the hot days in early June. School starts have been pushed back to no earlier than August 17.

Arizona also had a record high of reported cases and positive percentage over the weekend, at just under 24% of the tests coming back positive.

The good news, so far, is death rates aren't climbing as fast as the number of cases. But hospitals are very close to capacity, and several healthcare professionals are saying many who are eventually released from the hospital have some sort of long-term health issue with either their heart and/or lungs, that is now a chronic condition.

• Informative Informative x 3
  15. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Ut Oh!!!!

Flu virus with 'pandemic potential' found in China - BBC News

A new strain of flu that has the potential to become a pandemic has been identified in China by scientists.

It emerged recently and is carried by pigs, but can infect humans, they say.

The researchers are concerned that it could mutate further so that it can spread easily from person to person, and trigger a global outbreak.

While it is not an immediate problem, they say, it has "all the hallmarks" of being highly adapted to infect humans and needs close monitoring.

As it's new, people could have little or no immunity to the virus.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Well, we can go out with our heads held high. 36-26 record against the Noles. It was a fun ride.

• Funny Funny x 6
  17. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    IT'S JUST THE FLU!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    I think that is pretty obvious to everyone except the guy you are replying to.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    gee. a negative comment from you, surprise,surprise,surprise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    I don't think you understand that word.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1