Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    also, the positive test % in april was around 16%, in may it was around 7%, further proof we are on the downside.

2. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    The only major difference appears to be the addition of an extra day in low figures due to the holiday on Monday (which is reported on Tuesday). However, that lower than usual Tuesday is still in the 7 day average until after today. The only day that you can really complain about that would be after today's figures are added into the totals and before tomorrow's figures are.

3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

The very fact that we are having this specific a conversation about one days numbers proves that deaths are not rising in Texas...or Georgia...or Florida...or NC. I keep saying, they are flat lining at worst.

Could that change? Yes. But at this moment the increase in testing is what is resulting in cases and the deaths are going down over the 2-3 week trend line since these states started opening.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

...by the way, the entire nation saw a weird spike on the Wednesday after memorial day. It is a reporting delay.

5. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, but Suicides and drug overdoses will inevitably rise as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    But wouldn't the decrease in vehicle crashes be a result of covid 19? It would be a positive coming out of the crisis. Looking at it from the big picture perspective....

7. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Right. The point is there are thousands of factors contributing to the death total being different for this period of time than for any other comparable period of time in recent history as a result of the lock down.

So your proposed method of determining the death total from COVID by comparing this year's total death count to an average year's death count is extremely faulty.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    First, I sated that it was flat in Texas in terms of deaths (with a takeoff in cases). You stated that it was decreasing. That was untrue.

Second, there has been an increase in deaths in North Carolina (with a linear increase in cases). 3 of the 5 highest death total days in the entire epidemic happened in the past week in North Carolina.

North Carolina Coronavirus Map and Case Count

Georgia is flat in terms of deaths and cases. Florida is flat in cases and decreasing in deaths.

The increased testing is not the only reason for increased cases. As I pointed out to you about North Carolina, if the positive rate is consistent with increased testing, that is likely a sign of increased infection rates unless the tests are randomly assigned or purposefully allocated in a manner that doesn't maximize positive tests. If the positive test rate decreased while the infection rate increases, it could be a test driven increase in case totals.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not at all. In fact it’s the best way to determine if it was a good move to shut down the country for a virus that affects only a small portion of our population. Let’s say the past 3 years the 3 months of March-May period totaled an average of 675,000 deaths(7,500 * 30 days times 3 months). Let’s say for these 3 months in 2020 the total is 725,000 for the March-May so a net of 50,000 more died(total hypothetical on my part). Was losing 40 million jobs in trillions of dollars in debt worth it? I don’t know how you answer that.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    They should. NC is lost for Republicans.

11. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    I don’t disagree with that. I’m talking specifically about the number of people who die as a result of being infected by COVID. Your method would not work for that. You’re talking about all the collateral damage and I agree it’s impossible to answer that question.

12. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    I have no idea what day Abbot is referring to, but it's not any of the last 7. You must have an old tweet there. 1823 new cases in Texas today. Texas has been above 1000 new cases 8 days in a row.

13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Positive yes but it must be considered when determining total likely covid deaths

covid deaths = 2020 total death - 2019 total death + differential in vehicle deaths - differential in suicide

not sure how else the real impact will ever be known

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    How do you know? I've heard that hard drugs have been difficult to transport due to the global lockdowns.
    The economic hits are to prevent deaths, so you can't answer that question by knowing how many died, but only by how many deaths were prevented. In turn, we can't answer that question for sure unless we know how many would have died without lockdowns, which we'll never know for sure.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    not old.

16. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We will see what our total deaths were for that time period and people will draw their own conclusions on whether they think the shutdown was worth it.

I believe that we should’ve isolated only the elderly and those with preexisting conditions but we succeeded in flattening the curve with no hospital being fully overrun. Hopefully the US numbers Lee dropping.

17. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Then he was being fundamentally misleading/lying.

Texas Coronavirus Map and Case Count

I could say he was being misleading, cherry picking the lowest day of the week to post that tweet, but even that isn't true. The lowest recent day was May 31 with 7 deaths. May 25 had 3 deaths. So it was only the lowest since the previous weekend.

The lowest case count in recent days was June 1, with 1,107 cases. He claimed that was the lowest in 6 weeks, but that is false. It was the lowest since May 26, with 1,083 cases.

Recoveries is a fundamentally unreliable statistic because there is no set definition of the term on a state-by-state basis.

18. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    I looked into it further and the cases on the Texas coronavirus dashboard don't match what is on world o meter or on the NY Times site. Texas dashboard showed 593 new cases yesterday. Worldometer showed 1130. And NYT showed 1107. Not sure why there is such a big disparity for the numbers.

19. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    For your first point, nothing would change. You know many will say we went from 2 million predicted deaths to 150k or whatever and say it's worth it. Would you accept that? I don't think so, and I don't think the other side would either.

As for your second point, the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions make up well over 50% of the US population, so it's unrealistic to expect a successful isolation of that many people.

What's done is done, I'm ready to move on. The phase I trial data from the Chinese vaccine is pretty promising, and the Oxford vaccine uses basically the same technique. Both are expected to be widely available late this year to early next year. I'm hoping we can put this behind us for the most part by then.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Texas had 1900+ cases today.