Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    who’s getting the virus? College kids? My son is in HS and I have zero fears of sending him to baseball practice. He’s been back at practice 2 weeks and if I thought there was a danger I wouldn’t send him. But there ain’t any more risk with Covid-19 for young people than the regular flu. I am choosing to not live in fear and my family chooses to not live if fear. You stay home for all I care. We are going back to some semblance of normalcy. No one on his team has stayed home. Parents sit in the parking lot and the kids are a safe distance from each other in the dugout. This is the whole fear thing I’m talking about. People are paralyzed by this. Look at the data and go from there. Elderly are in serious danger. People with underlying conditions are at risk. Anyone healthy under 50 has significantly more odds of dying from the flu than Covid-19.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If we are going to prevent them from caring for themselves, we have a moral obligation to care for them.

ICE Detainee Who Died of Covid-19 Suffered Horrifying Neglect

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Define healthy.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    What exactly did he make up? You need to be specific here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    There is a small 3/8 mile dirt track here in western NC that started racing this week. Fans are not allowed in though. I can well hear the races from my house and they went at it till 11pm on Thursday last. Been a long while since I've seen a race and racing on a dirt oval is fun to watch. Planning to go once it is reasonable to do so.

• Like Like x 2
  6. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    Careful not to trip while tip toeing around everything I actually said. I didn’t say he was going to sit, I gave my opinion that it would not surprise me one bit to see it. I said, if I were Trevor Lawrence, well, I’m not, so it’s not up to me, simply my opinion. You also never addressed my question about summer B, whys that on hold of the virus is no threat? If all is well and athletes are at no risk, let’s get this whole thing going again, bring em all back!

I’ve been saying for about two months now, I fully expect pro sports to be back. You tell a grown adult, sit out and you don’t get your $30 million dollars, they’re sure as hell going to find a way to make it happen. As paid adults, that’s their right, I have no problem with that at all. I still maintain that University’s should be ashamed of themselves bringing back JUST the football team to campus. There’s absolutely no fact, figure, or statistic, not that you bother with those anyways, that will convince me otherwise.

::Anxiously awaiting your next ballet performance::

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I asked that poster a few questions about their claims of false narratives and some other issues related to maintaining safety for college football. Got a story about high school baseball and an invitation to stay at home. Won't waste any more time on that one.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    All I hear from both of you are “what if X happens?” Let’s play what if’s all day. Sounds like fun. I’ll deal in reality. College football is happening. People under 24 are infinitely more likely to die from anything other than Covid-19. But keep staying home. Have fun. I’m out at an outside bar having some cocktails. Enjoy your weekend.

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  9. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Going to a dirt track race is always a blast. There's a track in south Georgia I've been to a few times. Its BYOB, and you just roll in a cooler!

• Like Like x 2
  10. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    All for it for those who wish to go....as long as it is not in violation of state requirements.

I still hate living here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

You live in the wrong part of this great state. That is NASCAR's breadbasket and it is stuck that way. Move east young man! North Carolina really is like two different states.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    The act of not being unhealthy.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    The point being, I'd have been considered quite a healthy 50-year old right up to a stroke.

14. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Meanwhile, as we argue about the handling of Coronavirus in this country and the need to open up with numbers far higher than when we needed to shut down, let's consider Greece, which shut down travel early and locked down. it did not wait for case growth to support opening up.

Greece to reopen to tourists on June 15

Greece has brought forward its planned reopening to tourists to June 15 as pressure mounts on European destinations to roll back coronavirus restrictions to stave off economic collapse.

Greece has suffered fewer than 170 Covid-19 deaths and has reported fewer than 3,000 cases two months into the pandemic. Mitsotakis said the country's fast response and success in containing the virus would be a "passport of safety, credibility and health " to visitors.

"We will win the economic battle just like we won the health one", Mitsotakis said, warning that the financial impact from the coronavirus would be immense.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    do we have anymore countries that are 3% of the US we can compare us to?

16. tilly

What is your suggestion? Stay locked down? I am really unclear what some want.

17. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    One more time. If you accuse someone here of making stuff up, you should be willing to say exactly what he made up.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. tilly

Pretty sure the poster basically implying players might sit it out was making that up. I have not heard any players saying such a thing. That is the post that 95 was responding to. His hypothetical about Trevor Lawrence is made up. That is what a hypothetical is.

19. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    We should have locked down earlier. Greece shut down travel and shut down before it had a significant number of cases.

That was the way to go. So, step 1 is to assess the handling of this after Trump received the IC warning in January, spent February lying and making one bad decision after another, and then decide who to vote for.

But, not having done that, that left us with a choice of opening up with cases almost everywhere higher than when we shut down and accepting more deaths or disease.

Because we waited too long (unlike Greece which shut down with fewer cases)
    we needed to stay shut down longer. 30 days.

As have other countries, particularly in Asia, where they test and contact trace.

And, the size of the US is no excuse; it is a reason we needed to sahut down earlier and keep cases low.

But, we did not.

And, before blame is placed on state governments, the President did have the power to shut down travel and commerce under the Commerce clause. And states did not have good information.

Trump's supporters makes one excuse after another for his incompetence. Well, some countries handled this.

New Zealand is an island. Greece is a small country. All nonsense.

Trump left us with a Hobson's choice.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    The U.S. needs to take hard looks inward and outward. I understand that our nation faces vast complexities beyond those of any other. But there's an order of magnitude here. How on earth are we experiencing the numbers we have? How does the state of Minnesota (population 5.5 million) have 46 times the number of cases as Taiwan (population 23 million)? The only states that compare with Taiwan are Alaska and Montana (both are at or under 1million residents). Taiwan has single digit deaths.
    So yes, the U.S. has some serious rethinking to do and I'm not going to blame this or that politician. We, as a nation, have faced this crisis and come up a monumental fail.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3