Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    If you think any part of that vid was tongue in cheek, there's no hope for you; even asserting that is utterly ridiculous... we've all watched it repeatedly (primarily because it's so hard to believe it's almost impossible no to), and know exactly what he was suggesting. Even if it wasn't a command, who cares; he still thought it was feasible to realize those things as cures... making him not only our dumbest POTUS ever, but also one of the more dangerous ones because of that stupidity.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    See post 8939. New York was seeded with the strain of virus from Italy

3. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    They didn't tell me there would be math on the test. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    New York is a vertical city. It's highrise after highrise, with people living literally on top of each other. Los Angeles is a horizontal city. I once heard a longtime LA resident describing the city as a giant suburb looking for it's center.

Public transportation is also a major difference. You can't get around without a car in LA. In NYC, it's better without a car. It's a matter of when the city began it's growth. NYC has been a hub of activity in the US since its founding. LA only began to grow real big in the 1930s with Hollywood, followed by huge growth after WWII after many servicemen were stationed in California and liked it so much, they stayed. NYC was built by public transportation with trolley cars and subway. LA was built after the invention of the car.

Seattle and San Francisco are the two west coast cities that were built up before the proliferation of the automobile. In comparison, Phoenix is often called the west most suburb of LA, and is extremely car centric. I live in metro Phoenix and have an hour commute by car. My public transportation option? Three hours, three busses, and still over a mile I'd need to walk on a daily basis.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    i agree that numbers are what you make them, and mine didn’t account for land efficiencies like mountains, but.....

as of the last census cycle the density of NYC (302 sq miles, was 28,000 per sq mile. So the only way to reduce that to 5,000 per square mile is to add about 1500 square miles of the rivers and the Atlantic.

The 9 most dense neighborhoods in the country, and 11 of the top 12 including NYC counted as a whole, we’re in and around NY.

List of United States cities by population density - Wikipedia

6. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Sounds a lot like Orlando, although that is changing according to one of my tailgate buddies who happens to be *cough cough* a RE Developer. :D:D He just finished an awesome project downtown and it is kicking a**. I lived on a lake in Clermont and it was 45 minutes into the office until I discovered the Magic (pun intended) of the home office alternative.

7. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    It appears residents in red states have done a much better job mitigating than those in blue states. Perhaps we should go to a more strict quarantine for the blue states and let the red states open back up (all sectors).

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    I lived there for 2.5 years. Anyone who has lived there understands why it spread much more in that setting.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. leftcoastgator

leftcoastgator Ambivalent Zealot Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sonoma, CA
    Didn't question or dispute your New York numbers. Nor did I say anything about adding rivers and oceans and reducing the NY average. You said that.

My point was that you were way off in your conclusions about Los Angeles County because your assumptions were fatally flawed. There are parts of LA County that are as dense as Bronx or Brooklyn, and they are in cities.

And equating Los Angeles County, which is part of the most dense urban area in the nation, to El Paso or Colorado Springs is bigly wrong. That's all. When you are talking about the potential transmission of disease, population density matters. Facts matter.

LA County has the largest population of any county in the US by a factor of 2, and is part of the most densely populated urban area in America. That is all.

10. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    that's the ticket. he was referring to any medicine that would disinfect the body of the virus. not using the bright light to get into the body, that is a whole different level of genius that we just aren't prepared to handle yet.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 3
  11. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    By bright light he meant skittles.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    try and tell that to the mayor of Albany Ga. That is one small town that is a test case for what can go wrong in small towns, even in red states.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. cluckugator

cluckugator VIP Member

Aug 16, 2007
    And while this is ranked per capita, you can’t ignore the total figures in column 3.

8.2mm in NYC versus 27k in whatever section of LA is most dense. That is a lot more potential patient zeros to start the spread.

And while your math is solid, I don’t understand how anyone who has been to both cities could make an intellectually honest argument LA is close to NYC in density. It’s not even close and math isn’t needed to prove it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Condescend much?

not sure why you’re so snippy about this other than homerism based on your moniker

I’ve spent plenty of time in LA (ran a business in Orange County for years) and I grew up in Brooklyn.

when it comes to density of the inhabitable areas of each, they don’t compare.

when it comes to mass transportation usage of each, they don’t compare.

and when it comes to living vertically, they don’t compare.

NOT. Even. Close.

And, I never said LA wasn’t the most populous county in the country. It is by far. But that has nothing to do with density unless one also thinks Texas is more dense than NJ.

The post that started this whole dialog compared LA County to New York City, to which I was responding.

and I only mentioned rivers and oceans in response to your post which said NYC had a density of 5.000 ppl/sm as a way of demonstrating that the only way anyone could reach that conclusion is to include them-let me simplify the math for you. New York City has about 8.4M people over app. 300 sq miles = 28,000 ppl/sm, not 5,000.

The only way LA County with 10M people at 4100 square miles could have that same population density as NYC with 8.4M people is if 85-90% of LA county is undeveloped. And it’s simply not.

15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Troubling trend: Coronavirus deaths doubled in LA County over last week

LOS ANGELES — The number of coronavirus deaths in Los Angeles County doubled in the last week amid new evidence that the poor are being hardest hit, according to the county health department.
    ……….
    “Because we are still seeing a significant increase in new cases and deaths, we ask that you continue to stay home as much as possible,” Barbara Ferrer, the county’s public health director, said over the weekend.

After appearing to level off for a time, the number of COVID-19 cases reported in Los Angeles County rose at a rapid clip over the past week.

Some of that is because of increased testing, as well as the clearing of a backlog of pending test results, officials said.

Nursing homes alone account for 40% of coronavirus deaths in the county, and there have been new efforts to increase testing and health regulations at the facilities. The California National Guard is now assisting with staffing at some homes.
    ………………………………………...
    Overall, black people continue to be among the highest COVID-19 fatalities in L.A. County, with 13 deaths per 100,000 people, compared with 9.5 for Latinos, 7.5 for Asians and 5.5 for whites, public health officials said.

Officials also revealed that those who live in lower-income communities in L.A. County are three times more likely to die of COVID-19 than those in wealthier communities. Neighborhoods where 30% to 100% of the residents live in poverty have seen about 16.5 deaths per 100,000 people, compared with 5.3 deaths per 100,000 in communities where less than 10% of residents live in poverty, they said.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. leftcoastgator

leftcoastgator Ambivalent Zealot Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sonoma, CA
    Whatever. Have a nice day!

17. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I think that was his point. He mentioned population density and mass transit has factors, just few posts earlier

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    more confirmation that the system did its job and POTUS lack of leadership failed the country

President’s intelligence briefing book repeatedly cited virus threat

U.S. intelligence agencies issued warnings about the novel coronavirus in more than a dozen classified briefings prepared for President Trump in January and February, months during which he continued to play down the threat, according to current and former U.S. officials.

The repeated warnings were conveyed in issues of the President’s Daily Brief, a sensitive report that is produced before dawn each day and designed to call the president’s attention to the most significant global developments and security threats.

For weeks, the PDB — as the report is known — traced the virus’s spread around the globe, made clear that China was suppressing information about the contagion’s transmissibility and lethal toll, and raised the prospect of dire political and economic consequences.

But the alarms appear to have failed to register with the president, who routinely skips reading the PDB and has at times shown little patience for even the oral summary he takes two or three times per week, according to the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss classified material.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Infection rate in NY and NYC even higher than many thought.

1 in 4 in NYC May Have Been Infected, New Study Finds; Some Parts of State to ‘UNPause’ May 15

From the article:

"Nearly two months into the region's coronavirus pandemic, New York released new data Monday showing that nearly 15 percent of those tested had antibodies to the virus -- suggesting as many as 2.9 million New Yorkers may have been infected at some point, fully 10 times what the state has reported officially.

The numbers are even higher in New York City - antibody testing found a positivity rate of 24.7 percent in city samples, suggesting almost 2.1 million city residents could have been infected at some point."

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Until they start listing the tests they are using and we can accurately understand the number of false positives the numbers are somewhat meaningless. The great majority of the antibody tests seem to reveal a lot of false positives (over 5% of total tests)

Coronavirus 'serosurvey' results are coming. Here's how to kick their tires

Those estimates are especially important when the rate of infection in an area is likely low. Even a small over-estimate — say a 5% false positive rate — can vastly increase the final projection of how many people in a location had been infected.

Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Diseases Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, drew up a chart to explain how different rates of sensitivity and specificity will impact a serology study in an area with 1 million people, using a test that had 95% sensitivity (caught all but 5% of true positives) and 95% specificity (designated as positive only 5% of people who were actually negative).

If 5% of the population had been infected with SARS-CoV-2, there would have been 50,000 infected people. This test would find 47,500 (the true positives) but it would miss 2,500 (the false negatives). And it would detect 47,500 false positives — as many false positives as true positives. If the rate of infection in the community was smaller, the percentage of wrong results would rise. If the rate of infection in the community increased, the errors become less substantial. If 15% of the community — 150,000 — had been infected, this test would find 142,500 true positives, 42,500 false positives, and would miss 7,500 cases — the false negatives.

Applying this knowledge to Thursday’s results from New York puts the picture in sharper focus. The release from the state doesn’t disclose the sensitivity of the test used, but it does note the specificity is between 93% and 100%, a “huge range,” Ashish Jha, head of Harvard’s Global Health Institute, noted on Twitter. If the test performed at the low end of that range, New York’s infection rate would be closer to 7% — half the figure Cuomo announced — and nearly one out of every two positives would have been a false positive, Jha said.

• Informative Informative x 1