Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Effusive praise for China and further mis-information in the WHO Feb 16-24th report.. To answer your question, they should report the truth, not Chinese propaganda

https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...na-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

They are China's lapdog.. look at the propaganda below in the report

"In the face of a previously unknown virus, China has rolled out perhaps the most ambitious, agile and aggressive disease containment effort in history"

"Achieving China’s exceptional coverage with and adherence to these containment measures has only been possible due to the deep commitment of the Chinese people to collective action in the face of this common threat."

"China’s bold approach to contain the rapid spread of this new respiratory pathogen has changed the course of a rapidly escalating and deadly epidemic."

How about these gems from this report dated late Feb

"Airborne spread has not been reported for COVID-19 and it is not believed to be a major driver of transmission based on available evidence; however, it can be envisaged if certain aerosol-generating procedures are conducted in health care facilities."

On and on
    There is a reason china wouldn't let our CDC in the country.. and we all know it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I am not arguing that is the headline. But the information they provide about the data says that the social distancing is through August, which is consistent with the article (and prior articles from a variety of sources). I already quoted that part from the website and the article. I am not sure why you are being intransigent on that point. I even admitted that it might just be that they are inconsistent, which says that we can't really definitively say whether it is May or August. Is this just needing the May one to be right?

3. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Birds of a feather, one far more unhinged than the other. Irrelevant though.

Point is, it was Chinese authorities who alerted the WHO about the outbreak and have been providing the info, including the genetic sequencing and other data on the virus. In mid January this is all anyone had to rely upon. People are taking issue with accepting that information but the truth is our government has accepted it too for the above reason.

4. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Update on my sister: She got tested today via drive up. They said the results will be in within 4-7 days. Her director at the hospital told her that due to false negatives they need her to quarantine for 14 days. She will be getting paid 100% for those two weeks (they specifically have quarantine pay for those with high levels of exposure).

• Friendly Friendly x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    Fair enough.

If the WHO knew that China couldn’t be trusted, shouldn’t the country that spends a bazillion dollars on intelligence have the same read on China? If so, then why was Trump praising China’s transparency?

I just don’t see how it doesn’t work both ways. Either the crafty Chinese fooled us and the WHO, or we both should have known they couldn’t be trusted.

I don’t see how one organization is supposed to know and the leader of the free world and all his advisors somehow are not supposed to know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    This is the California lifestyle? Do you get all your information from TV and movies?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    It should be noted that we blew past the 2009 H1N1 median estimated death total today.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    today will be highest total for deaths in one day by far.

9. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    If they are a Chinese lapdog, than so are we. Trump made multiple tweets praising Xi despite his govt's unwillingness to provide crucial information.

I think the WHO made mistakes--the tweet in particular, less so about pushing back about travel. Their report was not in error in terms of what was known at the time. I think, if anything, they should have been clearer and much stronger in emphasizing the important caveats given the lack of knowledge since this further makes a very bad 140 character tweet look even worse. That's not complicity, it's several bad decisions, which as I said, they deserve criticism.

But let me ask you since even though you made an effort to avoid addressing Trump, what do you make of his praise of Xi?

What do you make of his playing down of this threat?

Of trying to turn it into an some nonsense effort of dems to impeach him with this hoax?

Of lying, exaggerating, or disinforming the public...oh I don't know how many times now since it's daily?

How much more are his supporters going to defend the indefensible?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    The next week will be brutal. Hopefully it will be the absolute highest period.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. GatorGuyDallas

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    And it should be noted that our dramatic stay at home efforts are holding the numbers down.

We’ll never know what it would be if we had not acted.

We know that two funerals in Albany, Ga spawned a load of cases. They have almost 1,000 now. Ten states have fewer than one small Georgia town. Read that again.

We know the epidemiological forecasts were for millions. You can see how they get there based on things like we saw in Albany.

Hopefully we top out under 100K deaths this summer. It could have been much, much worse.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    You are gloating. Here's my gloat: More than 1k pages about a coaching situation that (thank GOD) never came to fruition and I did not post a single time in "the thread."

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    I'm just hoping we don't have a 2nd and 3rd wave once stuff opens back up.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Even at 100k or close, it's terrible and the worst of it is that it could be even worse and thus we are in effect by time and numbers in the first stage, which is a frightening reality.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I would say the odds are greater that we will than won’t.
    Some third world country will bring it back here or one person at a big event spreading it and we will be nearly back to square one. Until the vaccine comes it won’t get permanently better.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    I agree. I'm hopeful but not optimistic.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GatorGuyDallas

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    We will but we’ll be more prepared and the apexes will be lower.

I say that assuming that we will have the needed testing ready for contact tracing by then.

Until there is a vaccine this is going to be around some.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. GatorGuyDallas

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    I just watched the Lt General in charge of the Army Corp of Engineers. He’s terrific and those guys are kicking butt. There are so many great people engaged in this fight.

• Like Like x 4