Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    She got it right. Thank you for your unsupported opinions.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    the world o meter site is showing 1,529 deaths today which would be a new daily high, but I don't think it is growing exponentially anymore. Local news though, a good friend of mine who is an ER Doc at our local hospital has been diagnosed with CV-19. Her husband, also a Doc, said she was sick.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  4. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    Hopefully her underlying health is good and she doesn’t experience serious symptoms b

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    this was not unexpected for today and the next week or so. deaths are most likely from those who were diagnosed 7-10 days ago. the key is to watch how much the death rate grows from day to day for the next week or so, plus how each days infections increase or start to stabelize.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I'm not gonna be first in line for the chicken bronchitis vaccine :)

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Why would you hate to admit California is doing well and not a lot of its people are dying? It's not a contest, sport.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    American politics are most definitely a team sport. Logic, principles, accountability be damned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    i am only kidding, lighten up, alot of people are not fans of the cali lifestyle, so we make jokes about them. glad they have found a way, plus, all the smog is gone from los angeles.

11. Gatorhall

Gatorhall Premium Member

Apr 15, 2007
    North Florida
    That’s what gets me is that if you support Trump the left assumes you always agree with him. I don’t agree with anyone all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    What’s the Cali “lifestyle” exactly?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    all the hollywood glitz, glamour, and for the most part phonyism, the,we are better than you attitude that alot have.

14. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    I was in Phoenix in January of 2007. I saw a lot of that in red jerseys with silver numbers. I know what you mean. It was annoying. I think we just sacked Troy Smith again. :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. swampbabe

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    California is way more than that. Have you ever been there?

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    yes i have, and for the most part the state is fine, there are just too many hollywood,silicon valley attitudes of elitism that are not for me, to each his own, sure i am not the only one who has a dislike for that segment of the state.

17. swampbabe

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    That’s too bad. Any time I’ve been there people have been wonderful and friendly.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    like i said, for the most part the state is fine, i am sure people from outside florida feel the same way about miami as i do about the la area, its part of life.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  19. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Yeah California is a massive state with all walks of life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Added to the vaccine they are working on in Israel

https://www.jpost.com/health-science/israeli-scientists-active-component-of-coronavirus-vac

A team of Israeli researchers says that they are days away from completing the production of the active component of a coronavirus vaccine that could be tested on humans as early as June 1.

“We are in the final stages and within a few days we will hold the proteins – the active component of the vaccine,” Dr. Chen Katz, group leader of MIGAL’s biotechnology group, told The Jerusalem Post.cine-days-away-623228

In late February, MIGAL (The Galilee Research Institute) committed to completing production of its vaccine within three weeks and having it on the market in 90 days. Katz said they were slightly delayed because it took longer than expected to receive the genetic construct that they ordered from China due to the airways being closed and it having to be rerouted.

As a reminder, for the past four years, researchers at MIGAL have been developing a vaccine against infectious bronchitis virus (IBV), which causes a bronchial disease affecting poultry. The effectiveness of the vaccine has been proven in preclinical trials carried out at the Veterinary Institute.

“Our basic concept was to develop the technology and not specifically a vaccine for this kind or that kind of virus,” said Katz. “The scientific framework for the vaccine is based on a new protein expression vector, which forms and secretes a chimeric soluble protein that delivers the viral antigen into mucosal tissues by self-activated endocytosis, causing the body to form antibodies against the virus.”

To ensure they come close to the deadline they set for themselves, MIGAL is concurrently working with the relevant regulators to ensure the product will be considered safe for human trials. He explained that because it will be an oral vaccine, “the quality of this kind of vaccine should be closer to food regulations than pharma regulations, or somewhere in between. We hope that we will not need to go through the complete purification process like in the drug industry, because that could delay us.”

The group also started trials on mice to support their previous trials on chickens.

Katz said phase I human trials would be conducted on “young, healthy individuals” and then would likely expand to the general population. The group, which is funded in part by an NIS 30 million grant from the Science and Technology Ministry, is in touch with the Health Ministry, he said, and noted that “technology wise and people wise we have all we need in Israel.” He believes the vaccine will first be available in the Jewish state.

In February, Science and Technology Minister Ofer Akunis said he had instructed his ministry’s director-general to fast-track all approval processes with the goal of bringing the human vaccine to market as quickly as possible. On Wednesday, a representative from his ministry said it would not be directly involved in the regulatory process.

According to Katz, close to 100 research teams around the world are currently focused on developing a vaccine or treatment for the novel virus, including several in Israel.

In fact, on Tuesday, another company, the Israel Institute for Biological Research (IIBR), told Reuters that it had begun testing a COVID-19 vaccine prototype on rodents at its biochemical defense laboratory.

PRIME MINISTER Benjamin Netanyahu ordered the IIBR, in rural Ness Ziona, to join the fight against the coronavirus pandemic on February 1, prompting an easing of its secrecy as it cooperates with civilian scientists and private firms.

In a statement, Netanyahu's office said that IIBR director Shmuel Shapira had informed him of "significant progress" in designing a vaccine prototype and that the institute "is now preparing a model for commencing an animal trial."

A source familiar with IIBR activities told Reuters that trials were already under way on rodents. The source declined to identify the kind of rodent.

In rare public comments, IIBR chief innovation officer Eran Zahavy said last week that the institute had shifted its entire focus to the new coronavirus, with three groups trying to develop a vaccine against the COVID-19 disease it causes, and others researching potential treatments.

"We are trying as much as we can to collaborate and have other ideas of other people," he said at last week's English-language online conference hosted by Jerusalem Venture Partners.

"But the facility of the lab is very crowded and very busy and very dangerous, so it has to be very slow and very cautious."

Zahavy described arranging an animal test subject as "a very big challenge" because "this disease is not affecting animals."

Shapiro added that many experiments that are successful in animals are not always successful when tested on human test subjects.

"It's not enough only to detect neutralizing antibodies in the animal. You really want to see them getting sick and getting better by this vaccine," he said.

• Like Like x 1