Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    The statement clearly indicated that there was human-to-human transmission in China. And the WHO declared it a global heath emergency a week later.

I really have no idea what point you are trying to make.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    That's just a logical conclusion, but your conclusion only counts if you are the WHO or the CDC.

Hell how else did 80k people in China get it in weeks?

They all eating bats from wet markets?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    They did know h2h was possible and even stated that they didn't have evidence of community transmission outside of China, but it could happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    The US is way down the list in terms of healthcare access, no better satisfaction for those who do have good access, but we are the top of the list in costs.

We have a terribly perverse system based on distorted notions of individualism and capitalism.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    Absolutely, we pay more than any other country but have worse outcomes IN GENERAL. Insurance companies are doing something they've never done before with COVID-19 which is paying for testing and in some cases completely waiving all payments for treatment. People are less hesitant to go to the doctor than usual. If anything this is yet more proof that by taking fear of complete financial ruin out of the equation people go to the doctor more quickly and have better outcomes.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Thank you. I don’t get it. Is CNN really afraid Trump’s instincts were correct and a medically significant regimen already available? I know doctors who are trying to get this for themselves. The supposed 26 million hydroxychloroquine tablets should be inbound to healthcare workers IN CASE they choose to use it.

Who does this idiot Berman think he’s fooling by pretending that Navarro prescribes medicine? This is more irresponsible gotcha journalism. I would warn Berman except that CNN covets reporters that essentially lie.

CNN's John Berman Confronts Trump Advisor Peter Navarro

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I can’t tell if you believe this is a public good or perhaps a mistake by insurance companies.

8. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    It's pretty simple, chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine are unproven. That's it. Trump touts it as a game-changer but the evidence is thin and not based on controlled studies, but what some folks feel. But when you can't rule out other factors by controlling the study, you open it up to missing that it might be unmeasured factors or various combination of factors that are the reason why people recover, not the drug itself. It should not be touted, getting people's hopes up. It's terrible leadership in that way and stopping Fauci from answering is a way to try to control a false narrative. Folks need to wake up to what is factual. And no, it's not "irresponsible journalism" You have it backwards.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Perhaps I didn't make my point clear, sorry for that.

Simply put the WHO dropped the ball, either by lack of skill or by their "technically correct" statement about transmission outside China. If they knew about cases outside China or not Jan 23 it was easy to see that it was happening or very soon it would happen. That's my point.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Simply put the WHO dropped the ball, either by lack of skill or by their "technically correct" statement about transmission outside China. If they knew about cases outside China or not Jan 23 it was easy to see that it was happening or very soon it would happen. That's my point

11. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    They can go back and pull tape on Fauci's answers, they have changed some but his answer day to day will change very little. If there is some big news one way or another don't work he will address it.
    There are ID's doctors calling it a game change however....

This is the Beginning of the End of the Pandemic" - Dr. Stephen Smith Announces Hydroxy-Choloroquine Study that is "Game Changer" in Battle Against Coronavirus (VIDEO)
    "This is the Beginning of the End of the Pandemic" - Dr. Stephen Smith Announces Hydroxy-Choloroquine Study that is "Game Changer" in Battle Against Coronavirus (VIDEO)

"Dr. Stephen Smith: More person has received five days or more of the hydroxychoroquine-azithro combination has been intubated. The chance of that occurring by chance according to my sons Elan and Hunter who did some stats for me are .000 something. It’s ridiculously low. It’s ridiculously low however you look at it. We were looking at selection bias in this situation. But I cannot think of a reason why. If all else is equal why people that received 5 days or more or even four days or more of this hydroxychloroquine-azithro regimen wouldn’t get intubated… It’s a game-changer. An absolute game-changer. I think this data goes to really support the French data…"

You must realize on of top Presidential advisors must mute their excitement or response when answering these questions.

12. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Virus got here later. We’ll have to see. I hope ours stays low. I’ve seen no real explanations yet although it’s crept up every day for the last few days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    I believe it is for the public good. I wish that our healthcare wasn't more expensive than any other system in the world so that the general public (and especially poor people) wouldn't be afraid to go to the doctor due to the cost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Honestly I tried getting it after reading the French study, BEFORE TRUMP said a word. Strange enough Walgreens told be nope their supplier wasn't giving it to them anymore and I couldn't get it filled...… But its unproven and the supply is locked away.... Hrrm

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    First confirmed case here Jan 21, not sure what it was in Europe..

"An ongoing worldwide pandemic of coronavirus disease 2019, a novel infectious disease caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, was first confirmed to have spread to Italy on 31 January 2020, when two Chinese tourists in Rome tested positive for the virus."

So Italy was 10 days later by "confirmed testing"
    Would you agree due to testing limits here we are testing sicker people?

16. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Sorry pa, but it's not proven. This is not about muting, it's about science and measurement. What can look like it's working when not controlling for important factors is why touting it is a problem. That said, the FDA already provided for docs to use it off label but this shouldn't mean Trump should be continually touting it. It's a dangerous false hope.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I have no inside information here. My guess would be as good or worse than yours.

18. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    I agree its not "proven" with a LARGE multi center double blind trial. But certainly the observations seem to support the French data.

Here is thought experiment: You are admitted to the hospital with Covid19. You have 2 options, enroll in a double blind trial to see if the combo of Zithromax/Plaquenil works to help COVID infection recover(reduce morbidity/mortality) 50% chance you get drug 50% you get placebo...…
    Or you get placed on the combo..

What do you choose? Why?

Honest answer please. Anyone can chime in.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Death rate is going to be somewhat of a lagging indicator while number of cases (denominator) continues to increase dramatically. That's going to hold the rate down, as it can take weeks for newly infected cases to run to their conclusion.

In the case of Spain and Italy, the numerator also surged once the health care system was overwhelmed. We're doing everything we can to avoid that here.

20. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Most place admit sicker people are getting most of the tests...
    Due to lack of test kits its been well documented.

If we are testing more sicker people and many asymptomatic are getting tested the mortality is way different.

• Agree Agree x 1