Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And Trump has been promoting chloroquine and Hydroxychloroquine and a combination of one of the two with azithromycin for at least as long. Trump has no medical credentials and it's completely fair for reporters to keep asking Dr. Fauci's for his opinion on the efficacy of the remedies as long as Trump keeps promoting those drugs. Maybe if Trump stopped using his press conferences to promote the drugs the reporters would stop asking Dr. Fauci the same question again and again.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bless your heart. As @dangolegators pointed out, he said there was no evidence of p-to-p transmission outside of China at the time. What do you want him to say? That there was evidence? Would that fallacy be more "cautious"?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Interesting admission. Or confession, however you wish to view it.

4. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Even better they didn't even say no evidence of person to person, they said outside of China. @gatorpa is making excuses for the president. Trump was making weird statements a full month of there was evidence of community transmission outside of China.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agreed. Grazie mille! Ambiguous use of 'international' replaced.

6. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    field inspections you say...what do you do for a living :devil:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. RIP

Feb 2, 2015

let the Fake News chants begin.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    New York deaths in their early update pushed us past 10K deaths.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    On national fatality rates, you posted:
    On the next page you posted:
    Is it allowed to be confused by your narrative? Asking for my dog.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    good luck getting a straight answer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    My feathers aren't ruffled.... you and many here want to play technicalities and sure the WHO may not have "known about a specific case on Jan 23 outside China" of Human to Human transmission. I guess they didn't get this memo

"The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has confirmed the first case of coronavirus in the United States. After returning to Seattle, Washington, from traveling in Wuhan, China, a man in his 30s began to experience pneumonia-like symptoms, the CDC announced Tuesday.
    Based on the patient's travel history and symptoms, healthcare professionals suspected this new coronavirus. A clinical specimen was collected and sent to CDC overnight, where laboratory testing yesterday confirmed the diagnosis," the CDC said in a press release "

Did they think the guy that just came back from China got it by magic? They didn't think it could spread from person to person?

That's just in the US there were dozens of cases elsewhere.
    So they go from not an emergency to its a global pandemic in 7 days.... They didn't want to panic and that's fair but they knew how it spread and knew it was already out of China by Jan 23... it's pretty simple what would come next.

"Based on the patient's travel history and symptoms, healthcare professionals suspected this new coronavirus. A clinical specimen was collected and sent to CDC overnight, where laboratory testing yesterday confirmed the diagnosis," the CDC said in a press release.

The man is being treated at a hospital in Everett, outside Seattle, and is in good condition"
    CDC confirms first case of coronavirus in the United States

The date of that article is Jan 21...

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    I'm just talking about Facts.
    I hear all the time how the US is way down the list compared to all those countries with socialized medicine.
    Take a look at how terrible their mortality rates are compared to the US.

How about addressing those seeming incongruent sets of facts?
    Those facts don't support the narrative that Universal Healthcare is so great with outcomes when it comes to mortality rates for a viral illness do they?

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. martin_van_buren

martin_van_buren Recruit

Aug 19, 2018
    Central Florida
    Anyone still calling for 1 to 1.5 million deaths in US?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Don't think so. The local and national responses have lowered the estimates.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    That isn't a fact. The US is only way down on the list if you ignore all of those countries with universal healthcare with lower rates of death (Austria, Germany, Iceland, Norway, Turkey, Canada, Greece, Israel, Finland, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, etc.). The US has the 18th highest death/population ratio in the world. Most of the countries are below the US in death rates, including most with "socialized medicine."

• Like Like x 1
  16. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think you're just trying to stir the pot.

Regardless, it's *your* hypothesis that the type of healthcare system drives fatality rates. You prove it. Don't ask someone else to do the work to disprove it. That's lazy and poor form.

Prove your causation proposition and be sure to include 'facts' about population health, age density, health care capacity, disparate policies with neighbors, preparation time, population density, climate, etc. I must warn you that statistics may be required when performing such an analysis.

How long will you need to get this done?

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I would think that once you had a case show up outside of China, you would know that human to human transmission is possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Sorry I haven't made one defense of Trump (if you want try say me explaining why Trump shot down the daily question about the drug cocktail (without any new info of studies) go for it.

How did the WHO think it was being spread inside China? They knew it was person to person, did they think it could only happen in China? The whole statement they made is ridiculous. Any one with any sense of the nature of world economy could have seen how easily this would get out of China and go global. That's one of job's of the WHO correct? To predict these things...

19. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL

LMAO

Sure I'm trying to stir the pot, just like everyone who tells us how shitty the US HC system is. I certainly am no more likely to do a dissertation on the stats with Covid like you are requesting than anyone else who opines about how crappy the US HC system is.

I will say this based on the stats so far if you had COVID 19 and had to be hospitalized would you rather be here in the US of in Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Switzerland, Belgium?

Just asking for my dog :rolleyes:

20. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    Good lord you are still missing the point. Of course he got it from a human, which is why he got it from human to human IN CHINA. They were simply stating that they had zero info that people that had come from China had already spread it in their country of origin upon coming home. That's it. This is simple stuff. Then it started spreading inside other countries and they declared an emergency within a week. I don't give a crap about the WHO being wrong or right I just honestly do not understand where your posts are going. My apologies if I mistook you as a Trump apologist. Your statement that "since people are picking apart sentences" (paraphrasing here) I took that as a Trump defense.

• Agree Agree x 2