Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Context my friend. I stated a fact. IF they had it would have. I never claimed to believe that it would, nor did I ever say anything close to believing it would. I was responding to a specific post with an "If".

I have repeatedly praised Dr. Fouci in this thread for starters.
    I Reject the Easter idea.
    I have said Trump handled it poorly.
    I have said to look at numbers and not commentary.

That is not downplaying the numbers.

2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Guess who had the power to shut down nonessential travel? A lot of people are selfish actors, even when collective action is needed. That's where the government is supposed to step in.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    Perhaps if the impeached one had not said it was 100% under control, 15 cases going to zero, had mobilized getting test kits, just to mention a few things, then Americans might have readily, and more promptly taken the common sense approach you mention. He seriously placed us way behind the curve and had the intel early to protect us.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    18K cases and more importantly almost 400 deaths today. I began my projections when we had 40-50 cases daily for multiple days in a row, since for most countries who reach this stage exponential growth is essentially assured. Our curve has followed Italy's fairly well, which has sustained ~20% growth rate in mortality for quite a while. My predictions for this past vs. actual has been 100 (46 actual), 120 (114), 144 (141), 173 (225), 207 (247), 248 (268), 298 (401). The trend seems to be actually higher than 20%, which is uncomfortable. This suggests to me that parts of our healthcare system is being overwhelmed already.

I had predicted 400+ by Sunday, but we're 2 days ahead. In an exponential growth situation, 2 days is a drastic underestimation on my part. Projecting forward, the prediction is ~1500 daily mortality in a week or so. After that we should see lockdowns start to take effect, and it's likely that a more stringent, nation-wide lockdown will be instituted. Hopefully that means the growth rate will be reduced. However, if more healthcare systems begin to get overwhelmed, which is a very, very real possibility, and we may see the growth rate actually shoot up.

• Informative Informative x 4
  5. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Can you link or source all the politicians and doctors who were screaming for Trump to mass mobilize test kits the day he talked about the 15 cases going to 0?

6. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

MI, NY and NJ have crazy high percentages on positive test results compared to most states.
    The COVID Tracking Project 40%-50%. They are really driving up the average all bu themselves.
    Does this mean more people sans symptoms are being tested elsewhere, of is this a sign that proximity is hurting the metro areas?

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  7. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    He said that on February 26. This article, composed of quotes from Feb. 26-28, was released on Feb. 28. In terms of quotes screaming for Trump to mass mobilize test kits:

Key Missteps at the CDC Have Set Back Its Ability to Detect the Potential Spread of Coronavirus — ProPublica

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I can't because I can't think of any.
    But I can link this article. There is NSC playbook that was written exactly for these situations, to be followed by the feds. There is a PDF of te book in the article.
    Trump team failed to follow NSC’s pandemic playbook

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
  12. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m sure he appreciates you carrying his water but you’re both incorrect for different reasons. I have no problem with criticism of models. They should be critiqued. That’s only part of what he was doing and what you’ve addressed. He is taking Fever’s approach and not recognizing the effects of measures to bend the curve and arguing that’s evidence the model is incorrect.

Look, I hope it’s been around for a long time and far more people have had it and help create herd immunity. That would be the best case scenario. Whether it’s true I couldn’t say but the stories I see coming out of hospitals doesn’t paint a rosy picture.

13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Obama did studies, briefed T prior to him taking office

Another study done Jan 19 - August 19 warned of same problems

T - lets shut down the group that monitors emerging pandemics in China and ignore our own studies and intel...now tell me when is flavored vaping going to get approved?
    Washington Post: US intelligence warned Trump in January and February as he dismissed coronavirus threat - CNNPolitics

CNN)President Donald Trump ignored reports from US intelligence agencies starting in January that warned of the scale and intensity of the coronavirus outbreak in China, The Washington Post reported Friday.

Citing US officials familiar with the agencies' reports and warnings, the Post reported that intelligence agencies depicted the nature and global spread of the virus and China's apparent downplaying of its severity, as well as the potential need for government measures to contain it -- while Trump opted to dismiss or simply not address their seriousness.
    "Donald Trump may not have been expecting this, but a lot of other people in the government were -- they just couldn't get him to do anything about it," the official noted to the Post. "The system was blinking red."

…………………..……………………………………….
    Within the administration, Trump's aides tried in vain to convince him of the virus's seriousness, according to the Post. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar was unable to discuss the virus with Trump until January 18, two senior administration officials told the Post -- at which point the President interrupted him to ask when sales of flavored vaping products would resume, senior administration officials told the paper.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Interesting. In the US Caucasians are 45% O, African-Americans 51% and Hispanic 57%. Could affect how the virus affects various countries. Though I’m not sure how the Spanish and Italians with their death rates mesh with this.

15. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Well, the WHO didn't declare it a pandemic until March 11th. By that time, the administration had already mass mobilized. What about all the other countries, who are supposed to have better healthcare than us? Why didn't they mass mobilize testing and isolate? Could it be that it's just a damn tricky, insidious virus that is very difficult to ascertain due to its elongated incubation period? See, I think Trump really believed what he said on Feb 26th. Perhaps it was overconfidence, but he believed it. When you have 15 confirmed cases of something out of 330,000,000 and all 15 are working towards recovery, I could see how someone might think it would be 0 soon. The facts on the ground changed too fast for anybody to be able to get in front of it. It has wrecked every nation it's touched. Even now, our death rate per million is much lower than 80% of the other countries.

Merkel told Germans 70% of them would get it. Under the same standards you're using for Trump, Merkel is a failure, right? Isn't Germany supposed to have better healthcare than we do? Why weren't they ready? Why wasn't Spain and France ready? What gives? I know what gives. Can you tell me though.

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    We didn't have 15 confirmed cases on Feb. 26. That was a lie. We had 54 on Feb. 26 and 51 on Feb. 25. As to the rest of this nonsense, I highly suggest that people read the first few pages of this thread. Quite a few people saw something bad coming. You were the one mocking it. Don't project you being wrong on the rest of us.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    It’s Trumps fault of course because only Trump followers aren’t taking this virus seriously. They are all brainwashed Trump followers.

Amirite?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    No, I have no idea about those other countries. They are not my country. The only response I care about is the one that is happening in the USA. I'm a small govt libertarian and want the federal govt involved as little as possible in most things. Exceptions are national defense and national emergencies. And this is a national emergency. This is when the federal govt is suppose to shine.
    This is when a single vision is needed.
    This is when a leader moves heaven and earth to back the governors, who are on the front lines in their states and know first hand what is happening and what they need but still has enough finesse to move the governors in a direction that is what is best for the country.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    No they were talking cases.

20. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    No words are strong enough to capture my disgust. He's pure filth.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1