Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    new contest, how many pages will this thread go?

2. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    What is?

3. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Thank you, Dr Fever!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    Your welcome. Hope I am not disrupting anyone's thoughts that more testing causing more positives means the bug is expanding even more.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    More testing means finding more people who may have already had it but does not preclude the virus still spreading. In other words, it's not mutually exclusive.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Is that what Dr. Burx was talking about, I didn't catch all of what she said.

• Like Like x 1
  7. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    You do such a good job responding.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Yes. And Oxford has real credibility, corroborated by the original author at Imperial College. We still need to undertake measures to protect the medical system, and there is still a risk of severe illness, but but on a lower scale. And maybe shorter. But if it was in Europe earlier, it was here earlier

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The flu doesn’t overrun the system like this because there is already herd immunity to flu. So severe cases are spread out over time. I don’t know how many people have had this, but I do not disagree that it has been here longer than we understand. As I have posted, I was sick in January with the prototypical symptoms and tested negative for flu. But, with this disease it is fast and rapid spread

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    225,247,266 Hopefully I make my deadline of the DD topping no later than 3/30. Its going to be close.

Some experts say this stuff is turning out to be pretty weak if you project the numbers with what is being shown so far. We will know in due time I guess

• Dislike Dislike x 3
  11. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Reality, but you seemingly aren’t interested so don’t worry about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    I think that might apply to some others not me if they think this stuff is still going exponential. I think I will see what Nate Silver has had to say today.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  13. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    The numbers as reported are rising exponentially for both positive cases and deaths. It's not about what you think, but what the data show.

You can find them and the graphs on various websites, one of which I think you mentioned here with the nate silver tweet a few days ago.

Based on World-o-Meter data (they have their own graphs up)

Covid-19 Deaths and Pos Cases.JPG

• Winner Winner x 5
  14. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Prisma Health develops a device that expands ventilator support to four patients at once

New Prisma Health device expands ventilator support to four patients

Prisma Health, the largest nonprofit health group in South Carolina, announced Wednesday that it's developed a device that will enable one ventilator to support up to four patients being treated for the novel coronavirus.

Why it matters: Ventilators are critical in helping patients in the most severe cases of COVID-19 to breathe. But they're in short supply as demand grows, with the number of coronavirus cases increasing as U.S. testing capacity expands. The virus had killed more than 1,000 people and infected 69,000 others in the U.S. by late Wednesday.

Details: The Food and Drug Administration gave emergency use authorization for the Prisma Health 3D-printed device, called the VESper, which the firm said in a statement was developed with "material already in use for medical devices and produced at minimal cost."

Great news, basically quadruples the number of ventilators in NYC.

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  15. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Let's set the over/under at 400. I'll take the over.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I have was a small business owner and closed it during the recession. I still own a small business bit am not dependent on it as I have a career in the non profit sector now.

You sir are correct.

The only thing I disagree with is that I think the payroll help will keep some businesses afloat for a while at least.

17. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013

Social distancing on NYC subway system

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have little doubt that it has spread farther than testing accounts for. But 50 Percent or even anything close makes zero sense, that would mean that it was everywhere, and should mean a relatively equal distribution of serious cases. What has happened in Wuhan, NY, Italy etc all but proves that false - when it takes hold in an area the serious cases skyrocket. I realize it is the UK he is addressing but you would think a similar scenario here would apply. If it were 50 percent then NY for example should have no more than double the serious cases of any most any other place (assuming a relatively random distribution) and they are hundreds of times worse than much of the country. And North Carolina testing for example is only coming back at a 5 percent positive clip. California is at 4 percent positive.
    NY, the heart of the outbreak is at 30 percent or so. Even if you double or triple those numbers under the assumption that some have had it and now test negative that theory doesn’t make sense.

https://www.politico.com/interactives/2020/coronavirus-testing-by-state-chart-of-new-cases/

a
    nd in fact, Ferguson clarified his comments tonight:

“I think it would be helpful if I cleared up some confusion that has emerged in recent days. Some have interpreted my evidence to a UK parliamentary committee as indicating we have substantially revised our assessments of the potential mortality impact of COVID-19. This is not the case. Indeed, if anything, our latest estimates suggest that the virus is slightly more transmissible than we previously thought. Our lethality estimates remain unchanged. My evidence to Parliament referred to the deaths we assess might occur in the UK in the presence of the very intensive social distancing and other public health interventions now in place. Without those controls, our assessment remains that the UK would see the scale of deaths reported in our study (namely, up to approximately 500 thousand).”

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Nope. You can't set it & pick. That's like getting to split the weed & picking which pile you want.

• Funny Funny x 3