Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Some second guessing is bound to occur.

We're taking extreme steps and we see the damage more immediately than the hoped for future positive, if uncertain, results of our effort.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    I don't believe that's why we might see an explosion--I think it's more likely millions of ppl. come and go to, from, and through Florida every damn year (that, ...and New Yorkers' grand solution to quarantine? Fly to Florida...great time for a vacay!).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    But his regret wasn't. His regret was over whether it was the best move for the health of his constituents. He wasn't regretting hurting New York's economy to take on the virus. Cuomo is regretful that he may not have made the best decision to promote his people's health (although, I'm not sure there was a better option due to our testing issues). Trump is contemptuous because he doesn't care about people and doesn't want a bad economy to disadvantage him.

Cuomo is motivated by compassion and empathy. Trump is motivated by greed and selfishness. They're not the same, and Cuomo certainly isn't expressing the opinion that people should just suck it up and go back to work whether or not it's safe like Trump is.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Not sure what all the anti Trump statements prove here. My statement remains. Cuomo has joined Trump as thinking their needs to be a more balanced approach. All the other stuff you just said has nothing to do with it because I said nothing about motives.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    I think we will not take off now that its almost April and this heat. It is surprising how good we have done so far with so many old people however and the least of restrictions for the real big states I think..

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Your statement doesn't remain. Cuomo wasn't saying that shutting things down is the wrong idea. He was saying that throwing potentially sick, low-risk people into the same residences as healthy, high-risk people by quarantining everybody AT THE SAME TIME may not have been the best strategy. You're conflating his regret over that with a regret over shutting things down. It wasn't about a "balanced approach" (whatever the eff that means).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  7. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

He made two separate statements. Read his entire statement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    • Dislike Dislike x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I did. You're conflating the way forward with what they should have done in retrospect. Those are two completely different issues.

10. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013

• Dislike Dislike x 3
  11. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Okie dokie, I finally put our friend on ignore. Had enough of the Barnes tweets.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The new epidemiological studies are likely the reason the markets are up.

• Like Like x 1
  14. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Don’t do that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It's easy for you to say when you don't own a business. Business owners are far far more stressful than you will ever be right now. They have to balance people and staying open at the same time navigating daily activities in today's environment. The fact is, people like my wife are staring at layoffs no matter what Congress says. The question isn't about surviving a virus because we will, even if 25% of the country dies. But unlike the Great Depression, what happens if no jobs exist afterwards? I mean nearly zero jobs. If Congress would do their job and rescue small businesses the right way, maybe hunkering down for 3 months would be easier to deal with. But nope, 880 pages of poop and zero help for small businesses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    That was the goal of China, Italy, and South Korea?

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    Nope the goal of the globalists who control these CDC and WHO puppets to crush Trump and the Western populist movements that led to BREXIT etc. They knew after China and when they got the info from Korea this stuff wasn't that bad in reality.

• Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I did. I'll take him off at a later time. If he wants to post his opinions, I'm willing to go back and forth with him. But I'm tired of him just posting conspiratorial tweets from some scummy, random lawyer.

I'm all for helping small business. I don't want to see them go under. But there will be jobs. That's the argument for capitalism, right? If people have the money, somebody will step in with products to sell them. Regardless, the health of my loved ones is more important than people's businesses. I'll do what I can to support small businesses and do what I can to push Congress to do the same, but if it comes down to it, saving lives > saving businesses.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It is starting to happen in New York right now

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    My guess would be about 1 million country wide had this stuff so far and its true death rate is about like the Flu.

• Dislike Dislike x 4