Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Large study from France on increased risk of myocarditis / pericarditis after Covid vaccination. Risk was highest during the first week after inoculation, for the 2nd dose, and for the Moderna (mRNA-1273) vaccine relative to the Pfizer (BNT162b2) one. 30x odds ratio for moderna, 8x for Pfizer across all ages. Way higher for 18-24. substantial burden across age groups esp 1st week post 2nd dose. But let’s keep pushing these anyway...

Age and sex-specific risks of myocarditis and pericarditis following Covid-19 messenger RNA vaccines | Nature Communications

2. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Ironically, I just flew home from Anchorage last night. Was very tired last couple of days, thought it was from the midnight sun and lack of sleep. Started feeling really crappy in Seattle awaiting my connecting flight. Tested positive as soon as I got home, as did another in our cruise group.

Had my 2d booster 29 days ago, pre-trip.

The shots are mostly a therapeutic at this point if you are generally healthy, but I can’t say this is fun. Waiting for my Paxlovid RX to fill.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  3. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    There is a risk of myocarditis from a mRNA vaccine. But there is also risk of myocarditis from a COVID infection. As this study shows, the risk from infection is significantly higher.

Myocarditis (or pericarditis or myopericarditis) from primary COVID19 infection occurred at a rate as high as 450 per million in young males. Young males infected with the virus are up 6 times more likely to develop myocarditis as those who have received the vaccine.
    In addition, there isv also a significant difference in the seriousness of cases. Myocarditis is often mild, but some cases turn into MIS-C, which is serious. And in kids under 18, this study shows the risk of MIS-C is much higher in the unvaccinated.

During the Omicron wave, the risk of MIS-C after SARS-CoV-2 infection was significantly lower among vaccinated vs unvaccinated individuals.
    The safest thing would be avoid COVID infection completely. But that's almost impossible. Next safer option is to get vaccinated. Not zero risk, but less risk than facing a COVID infection while unvaccinated.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I got crushed for calling these drugs just a potential therapeutic. But that is exactly what they basically have been. And really from the beginning. Though Alpha was still around during the rollout. It it was taken over quite quickly.

Hope you feel better!

5. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Therapeutics entail both treatment after the fact but can also be for prevention purposes, the latter of which would make all vaccines therapeutics in some way. But covid vaccines are not used to treat covid. You were criticized for your many categorical statements and mischaracterizations.

You're not a victim other than of your own bad arguments.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    LOL!

You are getting closer to admitting you were wrong about so much. Well probably not.

While I fully understand age could dictate someone seeking paxlovid as they say you need to start early….the fact 4 boosters was not enough to keep paxlovid from being an option considered should show how little these drugs helped after being taken 4 times in a year and a half with this anecdotal situation.

7. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Be careful with the Paxlovid. My neighbor across the street took it, she had harsh gastro issues, however Paxlovid is known for rebound effect and sure enough last night her symptoms started coming back. She was finished with her 5 day dosage on Wednesday of last week.
    My other neighbor has a current infection that he took Paxlovid for, he finished on Friday and it helped him in about 3 days. No rebound effect yet. My Covid - i just started to feel better. I tested positive on Wednesday last week, Urgent care gave me viscous lidocaine for my sore throat and also a decongestant. Urgent care gave my wife paxlovid but she didn't want to take it after reading about it. The symptoms besides the headache were mostly sore throat and congestion. Worst sore throat i ever had because i couldn't sleep. Everytime i laid down my throat burned. Almost everyone in my community is fully boosted, so i don't know much the boosters and shots are doing with omicron. When you get COvid you;ll be glad you took the shots for peace of mind. If you are healthy and with out any bad health conditions, i wouldnt take the paxlovid

Note: Im south of Tampa. Urgent care gives out the Paxlovid prescription for free

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Hope you feel better, soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Today was the first day i really felt ok. im close to 70 so i have to be careful. mY plan is to start walking again and bd saturday after im out of th 10 day window get back in the gym. golf will wait until tuesday july 5th.
    omicron is highly contagious and i dont see anyone avoiding it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Nice try. Numerous viruses have both treatments and vaccines (and what makes vaccines vaccines is that they cannot be administered after the fact as a prevention, unlike antivirals and other treatments used to fight disease after infection). Not that you said it, but I know your thinking, no one believes that vaccines are 100% effective or that they should be the only measure we should use to fight covid. Vaccines are the lead measure because they are about prevention (it's of the same line of thinking that you argue that people should get healthy--but that's not a viable strategy in a pandemic for what should be obvious reasons).

That you are trying to make the existence of paxlovoid an indicator of vaccine problems misses that from the beginning of the pandemic, the effort has been to develop both treatments & vaccines. The rush was on given the pandemic spread of a novel virus where we literally had no defenses other than to try to inhibit the spread by the way we interacted with one another. You still have a lot to learn, q, but you keep letting your biases trap you in some deeply muddled thinking.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    LOL!

You sound like me except you think these new drugs pushed out onto the entire population without a plan was smart. We have made creating control groups extremely hard and we should have been focused on advancing these archaic drugs with therapeutics.

But you keep boosting!

The damage done by you and those who pushed to coerce people to take these drugs is generational. The school lockdowns will go down as the worst public health decision in our lifetimes. Not too far behind will be the covid "vaccine" rollout and the damage it has done to public trust.

But again...you keep boosting and taking paxlovid if you feel it is the right decision for you. Just stop with your nonsense that others are wrong for making their own decisions on how to navigate this disease.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    If I sounded like you, we'd both be wrong. I prefer to be right than politically ideological.

You keep saying generational damage while ignoring the cause of that harm, without which, there would have been no need to lock down and go remotely, social distance, develop new vaccines and antivirals etc... Your favorite thing about calling it a flu or a cold defies reason and your preferred policy of doing nothing, other than violating the rights of some individuals while somehow spontaneously getting hundreds of millions of people healthy is--to put it the kindest way to I can--delusional with a novel animal virus.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    You were wrong and just will not admit it. The sad thing this whole thing is not about being wrong or right as the damage has been done. We messed up big time. Some of it is criminal in my opinion but not worth the fight. Those will be judged for that one day. History is showing us the Great Barrington Declaration was the correct approach. The frustrating thing is people like you refuse to acknowledge that. Instead you stick with the idea that coercing people to take a drug who are at little risk when the drug does not slow the spread was good policy. Lockdowns. Masking young children for no reason. Etc etc…

So much we got wrong. Some…okay we did not know. Much just pride and arrogance. Just glad every day we see more and more move on from the propaganda. One day you will to. Well maybe…:)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    We have control groups when it comes to vaccinations. We know there's an unvaxxed group, partial vax, fully vaxxed, and boosted groups. And states that track all jabs, infections, hospitalizations, and deaths. Like WA State. And consistently, for months, when it comes to cases per each population, hospitalizations per each population, and deaths per population, the vaccinated fare better than the unvaxxed.

The vaccine is not a therapeutic. Therapeutics are used to treat ailments after the fact. The vaccine doesn't work post infection.

Vaccines are meant to be given to lower infection numbers and to reduce the seriousness of infection should someone get a breakthrough case. The COVID vaccine hasn't been great at preventing Omicron, but it's still 30% protection, which isn't nothing. But at preventing serious cases and deaths? The vaccine has been very successful, saving millions of lives.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Such propaganda nonsense. You are certainly holding on to the end though…

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I have it now. Was exhausted and then lost my voice. I didn’t have fever but was incredibly cold in air-conditioning. Throat was sore but not overly painful. My Voice came back and I felt better. But still a throat tickle and soreness and occasional cough and phlem. Woke up today starting to get hoarse again and, sure enough, went out and tested positive. Did telehealth and the doctor prescribed the Paxlovid. Dr. mentioned the vaccines and boosters (second booster was 6 weeks ago) as important to teaching the system to respond. Glad my immune system recognized it; that was the exhaustion. I am starting to feel better tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  17. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I am not recommending against taking paxlovid. But for two people who have been 4 times vaccinated in a year and a half to be recommended it by a doctor…

This is a cold/flu now (older and certain immune compromised need to stay on high alert). No one wants it. Just like no one wants the flu or a cold. Based on risk profile do what you need to do. But your body can handle this virus for the vast majority. And much better now as it is less severe.

Stop pushing these archaic vaccines and push paxlovid and new generation vaccines.

Wait. Follow the money!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Hope you feel better soon!

19. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Propaganda isn't backed by scientific numbers and data. Like this data from WA State.

Not fully vaccinated 1.4X more likely to get COVID, 6X more likely to be hospitalized, and 9X more likely to die.

Or this link, that says the vaccine saved as many as 20 million lives so far worldwide.

Or this study published in the Lancet showing the efficacy of the vaccine against Omicron.

I think you need to look up the term propaganda again. It may not mean what you think.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    You’ve yet to provide one piece of evidence demonstrating how I’m wrong.

The GBD? How about that it was rejected for justifiable reasons, among them, their prescription would have gotten more people killed in trying to reach herd immunity through exposing 100s of millions of people to try to achieve it (that alone should have led you not to embrace it). The authors could not explain how the country would be able to protect the vulnerable, absent other viable ways to treat covid, while letting everyone else go on biz as usual. At best, it was impractical. At worst, a recipe for even greater catastrophy.

Sidenote, although occurring before the GBD was drafted, Sweden took an approach that had similarities to the GBD approach. They didn’t lock down. They tried to protect the high risk. They had few mandates. They largely kept schools open and allowed gatherings up to 30 people etc. But by May 2020, their chief epidemiologist had to publicly admit that his approach was wrong due to skyrocketing death rates.

You can be frustrated. Remains that covid’s danger was cause for immediate alarm among experts because their collective experience & knowledge led many to implicitly recognize the potential for catastrophe. The average person? Eh, not so much. Heck, on here, by early Feb 2020, some were already calling this virus no worse than the flu. Meanwhile, over the subsequent two years that no worse than the flu killed over 14x more than the flu has ever in a two-year span. Covid was the problem, not lockdowns, school closings, or vaccines.

So yeah, when I say to you that you don't get it, I'm saying that you don't grasp the fundamental danger that alarmed experts immediately nor how that danger quickly came to fruition in killing millions. Sorry to say but the reality is that you hitched your wagon to the wrong horse.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1