Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I had to read his response twice to believe what I was reading. Dismissed the multiple examples you gave then focused on one that sort of (not really) supported his argument. Really pathetic. Mind numbing actually.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Correct. Screenshot_20220427-120936_Chrome.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    not to mention that some element of the virus is still around to help cause shingles later in life for those of us that got chicken pox instead of the vaccine

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Get vaccinated if you want. It does very little at this point. At least the flu vaccine makes an attempt to target the strain.

It is a virus. We know the risk gradients. If you have a low risk tolerance and think injecting yourself is best for you. By all means. The data speaks. No one is 100% safe. Vaccinated or unvaccinated.

Boost away!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Agreed, no one is 100% safe. Everything else being equal, are those who have been vaccinated more or less safe than those who are unvaccinated?

6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Yeah…I never said no one was at risk. But a population of professional athletes coming out with no complications as a whole should surprise no one. They are a low risk group.

Boost away. You won’t get Covid…:cool::eek:o_O:confused::):D:ninja3:

7. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Neither of us know. Boost away if that is for you…

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    You don't know? What about all that data that shows at every age group, the unvaccinated end up in the hospital more than the vaccinated? And the unvaccinated show up in the morgue more than the vaccinated. Just look at the chart above. Under 50 and vaccinated, your chances are dying are almost zero. But there are marked bumps in the graph for the unvaccinated under 50.

And don't forget about the Canadian study you are so conveniently ignoring. That the unvaccinated spread COVID at a higher rate than the vaccinated. Not that the vaccinated spread is at zero, but less spread is still better.

So maybe you don't know. But anyone who looks at the data and sees less hospitalization, less death, and less spread from the vaccinated know the risks are lower for those who get jabbed. The data speaks.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Again. That wasn't the question. He answered you specifically and you evaded the exact evidence he posted as a response. I don't even care about your stance but your method of "debating" is completely dishonest.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    No we don’t know. But the data is clear that the young and healthy are at very little risk when it comes to Covid. There is a massive gradient scale with risk and Covid. But boost away if you want to ignore it or are in a high group and feel the archaic drug is still worth taking.

13. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    The evidence is clear. You want to believe the unvaccinated are the problem…okay.

High risk groups should be infuriated like me that we do not have a second generation drug yet. It is a massive red flag that we have the mRNA delivery available and we continue to push the ancestral variant spike protein.

Boost away. Glad you are feeling better as well!

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  14. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    We do know. And the data is clear. Yes, the younger you are the lower the risk. But want to lower the risk even more? Get vaccinated. Again, at all age levels, the vaccinated fare better when it comes to not contracting the virus, and if they do, the vaccinated do better staying out of the hospital and the morgue. The studies and charts have been linked multiple times here. You just refuse to see the obvious. The data does speak. There's no such thing as zero risk, but want to lower risks for you and those around you, get jabbed.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Not to interrupt the perpetual idiotic debate, but interesting article pondering if we may be entering an ongoing cycle where people get infected a couple of times a year due to the behavior of the virus.

How Often Can You Be Infected With the Coronavirus?

A virus that shows no signs of disappearing, variants that are adept at dodging the body’s defenses, and waves of infections two, maybe three times a year — this may be the future of Covid-19, some scientists now fear.

The central problem is that the coronavirus has become more adept at reinfecting people. Already, those infected with the first Omicron variant are reporting second infections with the newer versions of the variant — BA.2 or BA2.12.1 in the United States, or BA.4 and BA.5 in South Africa.

Those people may go on to have third or fourth infections, even within this year, researchers said in interviews. And some small fraction may have symptoms that persist for months or years, a condition known as long Covid.

“It seems likely to me that that’s going to sort of be a long-term pattern,” said Juliet Pulliam, an epidemiologist at Stellenbosch University in South Africa.

16. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    You don't know where I stand on this. I resent both political parties for where we are at with this. You have Rachel Maddow telling the country point blank the virus stops with every vaccinated host speaking in absolutes and then you have anti vaxxers reacting to those claims sometimes out of personal convictions but mostly from hardened political right wing ideology taking their stance against the opposition as evidence from their willingness to take any other "rushed" or unproven medicine as long their political party is OK with it.

The truth is in the middle and while I don't "blame unvaccinated people for spreading the virus," I see the merits to vaccines and acknowledge the improved outcome for most who take them while also having very little risk in doing so save for those whi have underlying conditions that may cause a reaction which js rare.

And thank you.

• Like Like x 4
  17. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    The issue is that while there is along history of pandemics our modern knowledge was pretty thin going in. There was a lot we don’t know. We would look to experts and they’d give a best guess, based on limited info, biases, CYA, etc. Then everyone (media, non medical people) would cling to that and it would take a life of its own on a CNN loop. Inevitably it wouldn’t be 100% correct as we would learn more, and then those with an agenda would use it to sew distrust and conspiracies.

I have a hard time banging on experts because they didn’t get it 100% right. But I think they got more right than wrong. I recall early on when Fauci was asked how long this would go on I think he guessed 2022, which in retrospect seems pretty reasonable.

• Like Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    That's not my point at all though. I have maintained the experts have to evolve as the virus does. I never took exception to the changing guidelines like so many I know have. That's the nature of unknown viruses and their subsequent responses. It wasn't the experts I took exception to. It was the the mouthpieces for both parties. The politicians themselves and the respective networks. Both vilifying each other. Both feigning righteousness. If they let the experts and their responses breathe a bit I believe there would be much less outrage and resistance. The masses are pretty ignorant to medical concepts and ripe for manipulation or misunderstanding. I don't blame the CDC, Fauci or anyone other than the usual suspects.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I agree with a lot of this.

The part ways at the thought the cdc/fauci/etc have little to be blamed for. That guy has been nothing but a media seeking tyrant. From the beginning. The cdc has failed and continues to fail.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    The other one that wasn't mandatory for boys was the hpv vaccine. It was presented to me that it could stop women from getting some type of female cancer. It also stops some genital warts but that either wasn't known at the time or wasn't how they were presenting it. I said give it to my boys. Pretty sure they weren't getting cervical cancer anyway.