Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Again, you didn’t address the actual data on the vaccines effectiveness. Explain why the data shows that boosted people have exponentially smaller chances of being infected or hospitalized? Or do you define “worthlessness” by another criteria, such that an exponentially lower chance of serious illness has no worth? Everyone is waiting.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  4. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    We need new generation vaccines…

Not boosters!

5. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    They are coming. But not likely until March. Meanwhile, current vaccines and boosters provide the best protection against severe illness today.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    All the states are reporting similar death rates. For example New Jersey was 128 deaths today, 142 yesterday. New York 56 deaths today 221 yesterday. Some of you Need to get in touch with reality.
    This isn't complicated. The Covid will be around, the world will never be fully or close to fully vaccinated, and everyone needs to protect themselves or not. Vaccinated and unvaccinated spread it next booster that comes out I will get it, I'm not worried if someone chooses not to get it.

7. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I am all for immunizing the world. I'm just saying it isn't as simple as vaccinate less here and more elsewhere. I don't think vaccinations will stop mutations though.

8. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Doesn’t greater spread increase likelihood of mutations? Legit question.

Seems there is a math formula for all of this

9. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    FWIW, since late September, over 9 of every 10 covid deaths are of unvaxxed, which is about 102.5k of the roughly 112.9k deaths. Our healthcare system is constantly being taxed by the heavy burden of severe illness. Not saying we wouldn't benefit from next gen vaccines, but we didn't or don't necessarily need them to solve the problem with covid hospitalization and deaths. Just think if we had vaccination rates above 90% already, how much better off we would have been through both delta and omicron.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Really, you believe this fabricated data, you know it will change once again in a few months, and once again I'll be correct

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    Does fabricated news mean the same thing as fake news? Would this apply to data as well? Just asking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Strange....the data seems to disagree.

As is completely expected, CD4+ and CD8+ T cells induced by prior infection of by the BNT162b2 (Pfizer) vaccine provide extensive immune coverage against B.1.1.529.

This has been expected and predicted (at least by those who know what they are talking about...which mostly rules me out), but this is the first data published on the subject confirming it.

Note: This paper is not behind a pay-wall, and the full paper can be downloaded from the link provided below.

Ancestral SARS-CoV-2-specific T cells cross-recognize the Omicron variant | Nature Medicine

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    And that is the problem in this country. We live in 2 different realities. There is the fact based real world and the world you live in. With sources that tell you what the MSM won’t tell you. This thread is filled with links to multiple studies and data collection sources at a macro level and reports from multiple individual hospitals at a micro level. Saying the same thing. So absent one giant conspiracy of tens of thousands of people, you are not grounded in reality. Not surprisingly, you advance worthless conspiracy theories. Just another poster whose posts are only useful for posting contrary data but not engaging with.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Thanks for the link. I posted this above without a link in less scientific terminology. He is right when he says “booster up,” even if he says it in that right wing conspiracy anti-vax tenor.

16. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Do you really believe this after posting the Public Health England hard data showing 85% of the Covid deaths in October were fully vaccinated and 80% in September?

17. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    This has been explained to you repeatedly. Poster after poster cited data from the very study you just brought up again. Data that you ignored. And, it was explained to you previously that the primary vaccine in England is Astra Zeneca, a vaccine not used in this country. And, data from the CDC was posted.

Don't expect any responses from me to anything you post. Whatever you get out of your intellectually dishonest and vapid discourse here, you will not get it from me.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I do. While the 85% & 80% are true, they're not the correct statistics to use. Rate differences are going to tell us much more about what we want to know. Rates adjusted for age, even better. In both the UK and US, based on those rates, vaccinations have reduced covid deaths by upwards of 90%. However, there's an important caveat, neither the UK or US data account for other pop differences such with pop health and the decreasing pop size of the unvaxxed (this is what ONS means by composition effects). In other words, to truly determine how effective vaccines are in preventing death,we need to adjust for pop health differences. NTL, the available numbers provide terrific insight.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    CDC data doesn't discriminate between unvaccinated with a previous covid infection and unvaccinated with no previous covid infections. If people are going to drill down into the details of the vaccinated populations, they should also drill down into the details of the unvaccinated population. I think the data shows that unvaccinated with previous covid infection are protected similarly or better from serious outcomes as vaccinated without previous covid infection.

20. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    It is really difficult to tell if people are really this stupid and just run around half-cocked, or the gross ignorance the is pervasive in our country prevents them from fully grasping large complex data sets or their own political leanings and a compulsory need to "be right" a la deposed King Donald are blinding people to the entire picture?

Apparently, not even Public Health England (no longer called that by the way) agrees with the misrepresentation of the data and the histrionics surrounding exactly what we want to see, is staggering.

PolitiFact - COVID-19 death rate in England much higher among unvaccinated than vaccinated

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1