Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count

This shows 79% over 12 years old at least one shot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    This should convince everyone to get the vaccine since this poster has been proven wrong at nearly everything he posts. ( see post #30060 above). Hilarious.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    He also thinks Covid is “a curable flu”. He doesn’t know the difference between a coronavirus and influenza.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    A question for those who support the Biden vaccine mandate, if I lose my job for not getting it ,if I am unemployed do I lose my welfare benefits and or food stamps? After all fair is fair,unemployed spread it as easy as people with jobs, they should suffer for not getting it if you feel like Biden my job or the vaccine ,their benefits or the vaccine.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The second to the last two paragraph is exactly what I have been reading about the Regeneron - the monoclonal shots. It has better staying power that the covid vaccines.

6. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I know you aren’t eligible for unemployment comp. I don’t know what the rules are on the other things but my vote would be to make them ineligible.

7. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Good article from the WaPo on true, vaccine efficacy, and how American's poor math skills muddy the waters. A lot of the explanations from the anti-vaxx side sound very familiar, and the author does a great job debunking them. For example:

Some of these tricks are straightforward. When Vermont, which has the highest vaccination rate of any state, saw coronavirus cases rise from a very low base in late summer to a few hundred a day, and saw hospitalizations climb into the double digits, vaccine skeptics didn’t say that Vermont still had some of the nation’s lowest case and hospitalization rates, or that its absolute numbers were still very small. Instead, they said Vermont’s cases were up “10,000%.” Saying “Vermont has 300 cases a day” wouldn’t have had quite the same effect, especially given that states like Florida were recording five times as many cases at the time. They also failed to mention that unvaccinated people in Vermont were far more likely to test positive for the coronavirus and to be hospitalized for it. The mere fact that Vermont’s cases were up was taken as evidence that the vaccines don’t work.

Similarly, when vaccine skeptics focus on countries that have had (or have) high case rates despite also having high vaccination rates, like Israel and Britain, and compare them unfavorably with the United States, they never mention that these other countries test far more than the United States does. That means that those countries identify many more infections than the United States does, and that their larger per capita caseloads are largely an artifact of testing. This summer, for instance, Southern states with low rates of vaccination had much higher positive test rates than Israel did, suggesting that their coronavirus infection rate was much higher as well. But because they were testing so much less, the states’ case counts looked better. And so the most common social media refrain from vaccine skeptics in July and August was “What about Israel?,” not “What about Tennessee and Mississippi?”

To correctly measure vaccine effectiveness, then, you need to compare the mortality and hospitalization rates for vaccinated and unvaccinated people of the same age. And when you do this, it becomes clear how risky being unvaccinated is. In Oklahoma, for instance, the state says around 17 percent of seniors are not fully vaccinated. But those 17 percent account for 70 percent of all senior hospitalizations in the state over the past month. That means unvaccinated seniors in Oklahoma are 11 times more likely to be hospitalized for covid than vaccinated seniors are.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  9. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    Liberals and educated will say "fine" if it's as effective and safe as the alternatives. Right-wingers have already gone contra-science on it, so when the study concludes, with the worm-med not as indicated as the alternatives, they'll claim conspiracy. Just like HCQ.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. GrandPrixGator

GrandPrixGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Right now the US sits at 759,552 deaths from COVID. That's staggering. Looking back, I'd be curious what that death total would look like if a large portion of the population (90%) had taken reasonable precautions (pretty much just wearing masks when rate was high, nothing draconian) AND if the same population were vaccinated when available? Has anyone (with scientific credentials) undertaken such as study yet?

12. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    It would be all total guess work and estimations.
    Too hard to actual have provable data and a waste of time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. GrandPrixGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Nah, I bet public health/epidemiologists could come up with some reasonable estimates. This is what they do. I'm curious what the cost was.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

It would be akin to akin to throwing darts a board. Tons of data showing masks don’t work. Vaccine definitely helped bring deaths down, especially in the elderly.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GrandPrixGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I think it's worthwhile to put the cost of our choices on the board to examine. I'm not even getting into the mandate aspect. What was the cost of the individual/collective mindset to shirk reasonable measures, refuse a vaccine, and put information out into the world stating those measures should be avoided (or just putting misinformation in general into the world)? I think it will be important to look back on this. Really foolish not to. There are a lot of "squirrels" to get distracted by with this whole thing, but focusing in on what was gained and/or lost by the behavior (wearing masks/getting vaccinated versus not). I get why some may not want that info out there, but regardless.....

16. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    all is good, lord god fauci proclaimed if you are vaccinated and your family is also you can enjoy thanksgiving, was waiting with baited breath for the proclamation from on high, now i can buy that turkey.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Show me where on the doll “Lord Fauci” touched you.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    twice, in the right arm

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Sure. What if we focused the vaccines for the high risk groups while continuing to study the low risk groups and put more money at the monoclonal treatments earlier?

We can play the game every which way. As pointed out. Waste of money and energy as there are way too many plausible ways we could have played this.

We do have a massive uncontrolled trial now with people having different variations of new drugs that wane rather quickly. Hope we can get to the next generation of drugs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    We can safely say 90,000 extra unvaccinated people have died needlessly who had access to vaccinations.

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/brief/covid19-and-other-leading-causes-of-death-in-the-us/

And these aren’t all old people because most older people are vaccinated. That’s about 2 years of auto accident deaths and 3 years of all types of gun deaths. All in about 4 months.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2