Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. altalias

altalias GC Hall of Fame

Aug 13, 2008
    For anyone who really wants an answer to the mask question I have an answer. My daughter had a PhD in pharmacognosy. She does medical research. Ubless you have similar credentials she understands science better than you. She, and all her similarly credentialed friends, wear masks. Not only that they wear them more often and in more places than anyone else I have met in any other circumstance. I am not interested in debate. You are wrong.
    Caveate: If it is proven that the Delta variant can be transmitted purely through air like tuberculosis them cloth masks would be useless. It has not been proven at this time. So they continue to masks up.
    I don't post much but some might remember that I said I have a daughter who is an ICU nurse that really wants you to get vaccinated. I have two daughters. The ICU nurse is currently in Shreveport. The medical researcher is currently Southampton.

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Masks don't do squat with the way they are used. I know of way too many people who got Covid yet wear their masks everywhere they go. They are the sort of people that you see wearing their mask while driving with no one else in the car with them. They wash their hands more than the average doctor in the ER. I have one friend who uses more sanitizers than everyone on this board combined. She goes through 64 ounces a month of the stuff. Yet she got Covid. To this day she has no idea how she got it. She works from home, rarely goes anywhere and is the type that sanitizes before she goes into the store, sanitizes the cart/basket, and sanitizes after she leaves the store and then washes her hands when she gets home. She even takes fewer, shallow breaths in the store and she times herself to no longer than 10 minutes in the store. Besides her, almost 17 others I know said the same thing. I told them it's their mask. They aren't using the correct mask, wear it too long, and they are wearing it wrong. Unless you are changing out a mask daily, and sometimes even more than that, and it's a KN95 mask, you might as well not wear one at all.

Really, the best thing to do is get vaccinated.

3. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Thanks but I’ll go with real world data that shows masks don’t work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If anyone wonders why we're still in this, it is because of this nonsense and the anti-vaxxers. Listen to you and people die.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    And ignore all the real world data that shows masks do work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No one is dying by not wearing a mask and getting vaxed as long as they are over 18. But hey, you keep masking at home. Mask outside just in case also. Might want to load up on Clorax as well. Can’t be too safe lol.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    All real world data shows masks don’t work. That is what is causing so many problems for the maskers. I know it’’s been 18+ months of believing something, but sometime soon you guys will see the light. I predict in maybe 6-12 months maybe. Only for some of you. Some will never realize it.

8. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Simply not true.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Many people wear them incorrectly. They are still very effective in the aggregate.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    All theater, the special people are laughing their asses off at the crazed maskers.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Everyone knows it’s a joke except some in the media and those on here who buy their garbage. Go get vaccinated and move on with life. Similar to the belief of some on here of lockdowns and school closures.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Spending a few days in Boulder. Everything open, but they believe in science. Their cases per 100k are around 7x less than where I live in Georgia. Not a little less, 7x less.
    As an aside, they have some crazy fit people out here.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Remind me why Doctors wear masks in surgery.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Virtue signalling?

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I was curious, so I looked it up. This was the first hit that I found (picked it because of the NIH in the URL):

Unmasking the surgeons: the evidence base behind the use of facemasks in surgery (from 2015)

Of note:

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/community/boise/article254425558.html

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007

Might be some very slight truth to this, as the types of infection people are worried about re: surgeries aren’t necessarily respiratory viruses. (Think staff infections). The problem there is often a contaminated instrument or someone in the operating room failing to sanitize (and it just takes one to screw it up). There are numerous ways for these bacteria to spread.

That being said, staph and MRSA *can* spread by coughing, so that alone is reason enough 100% for surgeons to wear the mask even if the virus isn’t technically a respiratory virus. It can still use the mouth as a pathway.

This could never be tested ethically. It’s basically “let’s drop sanitation and see how many people are infected as a result”. Seems quite a reach for the writer to just assume it’s “unlikely” that masks play a positive role in surgical sterilization/cleanliness protocols. Their role isn’t the whole enchilada, but it’s certainly >0.

• Winner Winner x 1