Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    While it is impossible to judge someone from 2 posts from 3rd party on a website, you are painting a picture of an M.D who does not always subscribe to typical evidence based knowledge. Unless something has changed, it is outside of the norm for MDs to recommend supplements, except in specific cases for known deficiencies. There is little solid evidence that they work, and a lot of evidence that they don't. Also, supplements are completely unregulated and quite often you aren't even getting what you think you are buying.

Just curious is the pediatrician an M.D.?

2. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There are. Danish mask study.

3. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Nope.

4. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep. Saying nope won’t make it less true. Sorry.

5. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The Danish mask study was not RCT, and studied how effective a mask was at protecting the wearer. Not how v effective masks are in preventing the spread of particles if worn by someone is infected by COVID.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  6. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Some folks continue to draw the wrong inferences from DMS, especially by ignoring the limitations of the study.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No it wasn’t. And the Bangladesh study shows masks didn’t work on anyone under 50 and that cloth masks don’t work(which is the vast majority of masks). So yes, masks don’t work. Let’s kids go to school, Vax those over 18. Count natural immunity the same as a vaccination and move on with life. Just like all the football stadiums are doing. Don’t need vaccine passports or anything like that. Resume life as normal. Not complicated.

8. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    Good thing you're not a scientist. You're really bad at science.

9. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The Danish study was as RCT as possible. But two things they couldn't control is what percentage of people wore masks correctly. It was estimated to be under 50%. The Danes also only guessed at infection rate in the community. No true control.

The Bangladesh study fixed some of these errors. And unlike the Danish study, which looked at whether mask wearers got COVID or not, the Bangladesh study looked at overall infection rate. And the study showed a 10% reduction in places where masks were worn properly.

Then there's all the Metadata studies. Add it all up and masks help. They aren't perfect, but can reduce the spread. Even if it's just 1%, that's better than zero.

Kids are part of the herd. The only way they will count towards herd immunity is either get infected and get natural immunity. Or get vaccinated. If vaccinated, the kids have a slightly higher chance to be hospitalized, but the increased risk is minuscule. And risk of death is lower with the vaccine, though again, it's a minute difference.

Regardless, until we reach herd immunity, there will be cases, including breakthroughs. There will also be an increased risk of mutation into a new variant. Vaccination reduces these risks.

10. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Man, what a post. First respect for the comments. I honestly wasn't trying to run you off or anything like that. Just trying to steer back towards more civilized talk. I think it's important to have competing views, different perspectives, and our disagreements are part of that. May your self-imposed vacation be a brief one (unless you're traveling somewhere fun leaving you little desire to dwell here on the Internet!).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    1% isn’t better. The problem is people let down their distance barriers when wearing a mask thinking they work when they don’t. Instead of keeping a safe distance, people think “I’ve got a mask on, I’m safe.” Unfortunately that’s not close to true. Some people will die on the “masks work” hill for no reason other than to not want to be wrong for the last 18+ months. Just like with closing schools and lockdowns, it’s time to admit they don’t work and move on.

12. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The general idea is that if you eat perfectly balanced and get enough outside activity, then you don't (typically) need extra vitamins. This is a ridiculous ideal to expect for most children these days. I'd be curious if there are any/many pediatricians that don't insist on that their patients take supplements.

12 Vitamins Pediatricians Give Their Own Kids

The Truth About Supplements: 5 Things You Should Know - Penn Medicine

Ok, but what about little things like help you fight off a cold better; perhaps have a more effective result against COVID; or just have a better time fighting off bugs in general?

Doesn't matter, you can know if what you are taking is having an impact by blood tests if you are not sure about the effectiveness. Some supplements show more immediate results than others based on deficiency levels (or recovery from said immediate results).

Yes, and has been a very well respected member of the community for a long time.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Masks working so well in Oregon that since their Governor mandated masks be worn outside, cases have “only” risen 73%. Hate to see the increase if there was no mask mandate…

14. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    They told me if I voted for Jimmy Carter that we'd get massive expansion of government (11 big tax hikes, 90% increase in spending, strengthening of OSHA & SS, an idiotic war on drugs (where were the freedom fighters then) & a surge of anti-free mkt protectionism (100% increase)). They were right. I voted for Jimmy & in 8 short years all those things came to pass. Wonder what woulda happened if I hadn't voted for him?

Critical thinking. get some.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  15. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    Further showing it's a good thing you're not a scientist.

16. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    Also, have a link for this? Because I'm not seeing it.

17. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I feel like I just watched the Billy Madison scene where he tries to explain the industrial revolution.

19. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This graph should show how well masks work. Wonder why that isn't happening...

[​IMG]

20. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    But if he repeats it enough that everyone gets tired of correcting him, then he is right?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2