Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It's more than a little twisted that anyone would find the death of children, no matter what the circumstances, a "fun stat."

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    PSA: Get vaccinated and wear a mask. Ignore anyone that tells you not to.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Do you understand that part of the reason to vaccinate most everyone is to reduce spread in the community, regardless of whether any particular individual is at serious risk or not?

4. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    It is typical and sad that some would take that point being made the way you did.

Do you feel better trying to make me feel bad by insinuating something that is not true?

Just know...covid is less dangerous to kids than walking the streets of Chicago.

Man the internet people can make stupid assertions via the internet.

5. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes. I'm fine with those who want to take that approach, but leave my kids out of it. Some of you want a one-size-fits-all approach; clearly less regard for nuances than others. But surely you understand that not everybody agrees. Let the kids spread it amongst themselves while letting the adults protect themselves with vaccinations (certainly parents can choose to get their kids vaccinated as well if they choose). What does that end result look like compared to the one you prefer?

Varicella vaccine wasn't produced until the 70's. It wasn't required for children in FLORIDA until 2008-2009. Even still, having had a documented case of "chickenpox" exempted you from having to get vaccinated. Just go slow with the children; I'm fine with being experimented on with less discretion.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

6. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    You say yes, but then in the same sentence demonstrate that you really don't.

Are you saying we should stop all other mandatory school vaccinations? If no, what is the difference with covid?

As I've repeatedly said, I have no issue with a natural immunity exemption.

7. prisch1

prisch1 Sophomore

Apr 3, 2007
    Is there evidence vaccinated individuals reduce the spread of COVID? I know the CDC believed in May it did, but then walked that back based on that limited New England area data.

I've seen some suggestions that it reduces the chance for spread by 50% which would be good, but not sure it's based on Delta.

Vermont is one of the most vaccinated states in the US (and still has very, very low cases), but their cases are higher than they've ever been. Maybe it's all the unvaccinated people catching and spreading it up there, but doesn't seem plausible.

If the vaccine were sterilizing (i.e.) stopped you from spreading COVID I think mandates/passports would make a lot more sense.

8. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    To clarify: I understand it; I don’t agree with it; I think a modified version of it can still be accomplished with optional buy-in to the idea.

Need for children to be vaccinated, and
    Time the vaccine has been out are two of my hangups. But I’m fine with exemption options that currently exist just the same.

Sure, but I am not seeing the folks pushing for mandates expressing the option for such an exemption.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

9. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    BREAKING: DeSantis Secures Antibody Doses On His Own, Skirting Biden’s Reduction Of Lifesaving Treatment | The Daily Wire

Republican Governor Ron DeSantis (FL) announced Thursday that he has secured more doses of lifesaving antibody treatment despite the Biden administration taking control of the treatment and effectively reducing Florida’s necessary supply.

The governor posted a video Thursday announcing the move, captioned, “Governor DeSantis announces acquisition of additional doses of monoclonal antibody treatments to counteract the federal government reducing Florida’s supply of the Regeneron monoclonal treatments.”

• Like Like x 3
  10. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    This says 66% effective

As Delta spread, Covid vaccine effectiveness against infection fell to 66%

Here's How Well COVID-19 Vaccines Work Against the Delta Variant

Although vaccine effectiveness has waned slightly against infection with Delta, data so far suggests the Moderna vaccine is approximately 50 to 95 percent effective against Delta, and the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is 39 to 96 percent effective against Delta.

So not perfect but if most everyone had it it would make a substantial difference.

11. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Get vaccinated if you are over 18 and haven’t had covid already. Don’t wear a mask. It’s useless.

12. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Kids don’t need to be vaccinated unless they have preexisting conditions. It’s the safest thing, especially for teen boys. Wait until there is full fda approval before anyone needs to think about vaxing their kids.

13. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Good. Especially since the WH started rationing the drugs when they didn’t need to.

14. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Masks aren't perfect, but they can help reduce the spread if they are worn correctly. Plenty of studies both in lab settings and real-world settings that show this to be true. Masks won't stop the spread of COVID, but can slow it down. Problem is, if one infected person isn't wearing a mask, or is using it as a chinstrap, then mask effectiveness goes way down.

And kids should be vaccinated. The vaccine is effective and safe for kids 12 and older. Zero deaths and hospital rates that are marginally higher than hospital rates from COVID. And these based on hospital rates before Delta had the chance to spread across the country. Would be interesting to see an updated comparison.

The vaccine will also help slow the spread of the virus, while also reducing the change of a new variant from arising. The more people infected, regardless of age, the higher the chance of mutation into a new variant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Lab setting aren’t real life. It’s why there are zero RCT peer reviewed studies showing masks work. It’s really that simple.

No need to discuss vaxing kids. That’s beyond dumb. But to each their own.

16. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    And why are there zero RCT peer reviewed studies showing that masks don't work?

17. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    There's no realistic way to have a good RCT re: masks. People are gonna know if they're wearing a mask or not, so neither the treatment nor the control group would be blinded to the intervention.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    How would you design an effective RCT mask study? It is darn near impossible. The closest is the Bangladesh study that has the result of a 10% reduction in cases where 30% wore masks properly as compared to areas that didn't mask at all.

There's also plenty of Metadata results that show masks help in school settings. Sometimes, perfection is impossible. And short of a RCT mask study, which again would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, you take what you can get. In this case, lab studies, real world studies, and Metadata that all show wearing masks properly reduces COVID spread.

As for vaccination in kids, individual risks are miniscule either way. But the community benefits of vaccination tip the scale in favor in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    You are correct, and rather then PM and do this in private, I wanted to openly apologize. I was a douche towards you for no reason, and that is unacceptable.

I have spent 6 days quarantining after driving my 80 year old neighbor to the hospital. His stupid arse doctor gave him Ivermectin (legal, perscribed, not horse paste) for his infection. I begged his wife to take him 5 minutes to hospital where they have a mAbs infusion center, but they would not go because their doctor said it was not necessary. After 3 days, he could not breathe well and his wife was frantic. I picked him up and threw him in my car and drove him to the emergency room. Retired police captain, fully vaccinated and waiting to get his 3rd shot, not sure how he caught it. Still in the hospital on oxygen but sounds like he has turned the corner.

I took out my anger in these threads, and for some reason you. Going to go ahead and give myself a vacation from this board for a while.....once again, my apologies for the douche-baggery towards you.

Best of luck in your quest for answers.

• Friendly Friendly x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  20. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Don't stay away long and don't be too hard on yourself. I had to do the same a week or two ago.

You serve a great purpose here. I've learned a lot from your posts, as I am sure others have also.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1