Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Maybe, but by then, hospitals will be swamped again and it will be too late to pro-active, we will be completely reactive again.

I would have thought that they were going to authorize 1 more general booster for the Pfizer shot which would have bridged most of the population to where we will know if we have effective treatments for people who have been infected. We need for the trials of

Ivermectin
    Monupiravir
    Pfizers - PF-07321332
    Even intramuscular mAb's need to be more widespread

If we can start treating people like we can with the Flu, we can stop panicking after time there is an outbreak for fear of a hospital getting overwhelmed because we will be able to easily, quickly treat people.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 5
  4. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    Is it time to just stop responding to gator95? Iam not getting anything from this discussion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    Nobody's forcing you to read his posts,just ignore if it bothers you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Yes. I finally blocked him. Very wise decision.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    Not a fan of blocking but I have done it before. When they frustrate me with their ignorance to the point that I get a warning from a mod that I am close to a timeout I will ban the irritant. It is amazing how little these people actually add to our discourse.

8. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    He’s a troll. But he doesn’t technically break any rules. So the mods let him stay and he just baits people into arguing with him about masks or schools. It’s a much cleaner thread with good info if you ignore him. Resist the urge to feed it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    Exactly my point. I am not tempted to feed his trollness so I ignore him. It's not difficult for me. Others make me want to pull my hair out and scream. These I put on ignore.

10. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    He at least occasionally has decent data. Obviously skewed opinion. I may respond once when I disagree, but multiple replies are pointless. I did block Q because I found that seeing constant misinformation posted here bothered me and it isn't going to stop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Why does Biden's vaccine mandate not apply to welfare recipients and others? (msn.com)
    On Sept. 9, President Biden declared that all companies with more than 100 employees must "ensure their workforces are fully vaccinated or show a negative test at least once a week."

During his speech, Biden also declared that "all nursing home workers who treat patients on Medicare and Medicaid" and that "those who work in hospitals, home healthcare facilities, or other medical facilities" as well as "all executive branch federal employees" and "federal contractors" must get vaccinated.

If these Americans choose not to get vaccinated, they will lose their livelihoods. As Biden said, "This is not about freedom or personal choice."

But Biden's federal vaccine mandate does not apply to Americans on welfare, illegal immigrants, members of Congress, U.S. Postal Service employees and several other groups.

But for reasons unexplained, Biden refuses to mandate vaccines for the 59 million Americans who receive welfare benefits.

Put another way, Biden is mandating that the Americans who supply most of the tax revenue to pay for America's welfare system be vaccinated or lose employment. But the beneficiaries of the welfare state are exempt.

This is even more flummoxing given that data shows Medicaid recipients are among the least vaccinated.

12. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Postal workers are not exempt. They are covered under the revised OSHA directive, not the federal workers mandate.

Fact check: Postal workers to follow OSHA vaccine guidance

As to welfare, Medicaid, etc, those are not employees. They aren't covered under OSHA, and it is doubtful there would be a legal way to include them, even if it made sense to do so. And if naming govt beneficiaries, why did they leave out social security and Medicare?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Well if they can force employers too fire employees who refuse too be forcefully vaccinated they can withhold welfare payments if they really wanted, thats a large portion of their base, thats why they won't require them or the illegals to be vaccinated

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  14. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    No, they can't. They have nothing to do with each other. Govt benefits aren't covered by OSHA.

And why didn't they mention social security and Medicare recipients? By that (tortured) logic shouldnt they require vax too?

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Yes i agree with you, if there going to issue mandates they should force everyone then. But they won't because that will cost them their base

16. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    What part of the Biden mandate is covered by ORHA, which only covers workers, do you not understand?

17. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    selfish anti-vaxxer, flat-earther types are a burden on our society and to all of us.

“These COVID-19 hospitalizations are devastating for patients, their families, and health care providers. The hospitalizations are also costing taxpayer-funded public insurance programs and the workers and businesses paying health insurance premiums. Our recent analysis found that insurers are beginning to reinstate cost-sharing for COVID-19 treatment, though patients still only pay a small share of the total costs.

If each of these preventable hospitalizations cost roughly $20,000, on average, that would mean these largely avoidable hospitalizations have already cost billions of dollars”

Unvaccinated COVID-19 hospitalizations cost billions of dollars - Peterson-KFF Health System Tracker

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Scientists find that a mere 20 amino acid replacements (incorrectly called mutations in popular media) on the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein enabled the virus to completely evade all polyclonal antibodies created in the plasma of those who had recovered from Covid infection, as well as the antibodies generated by both mRNA vaccines. Study further found, however, that the polyclonal antibodies generated in the plasma of those who had recovered from COVID AND had 2 doses of the mRNA vaccine completely neutralized "polymutant", chimeric virus, as well as some other known sarbecoviruses (corona viruses).

Just a pre-print, but another study showing that hybrid immunity that is recovered from infection then receiving doses of the mRNA vaccines are doing something we do not understand, but could provide significant benefits against future variants, as well as other corona viruses that have not made the jump into humans.

High genetic barrier to escape from human polyclonal SARS-CoV-2 neutralizing antibodies

• Informative Informative x 3
  19. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    This whole pandemic has been a never-ending shifting of the goal posts.

First, it was two weeks to slow the spread.

Then, it was flatten the curve.

Then, it was to wait until we had a vaccine.

Now, it's get more people vaccinated, without any specific benchmark marking the end to this hysteria.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  20. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    You mention this as if it's some problem as opposed to an indicator of the nature of novel virus pandemics.

Every single thing you mentioned has been about battling that virus for which until treatments and vaccines, we had zero defense weapons.

IOW, of course things will shift. You should have understood this long ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1