Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Seriously you're the only who truly needs help. Just because I won't get the vax doesn't make me a anti vaxer, only in the eyes of the far left crazies

2. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Um okay. You’re pretty much the definition of an anti-vaxer. But whatever you need to tell yourself.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Who believes the vast majority of medical professionals and who believes I-saw a-good-YouTube-video.

4. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    SMDH.

Libs owned. *eyeroll*

5. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    So now we are discussing influenza? A totally different virus that may or may not share the same transmission characteristics?

The unexpected lack of any influenza around the world the past year flies in the face of this "meta analysis" and actually does show that maks + distancing all but eliminate influenza transmission.

Also: They admitted that there are no direct studies to review for the subject, so they picked whatever they could find and called it a "Meta Study".
    I commend your tenatiousness. Honestly, I hope that your tenacity does not get you or anyone you know and care about sick. It takes a lot of commitment to contually fight against the world common beliefs.

I will tell you this. Having studied submicron particles for a very long time, I think that you are both right and wrong at the same time.

If everyone wore masks properly. Everyone practices proper hygiene and mask care each and every day. And, if everyone made every effort to ensure that they did whatever was necessary minimize potentially transmitting a virus to anyone.....we would see the efficacy north of 80% for both the flu and SARS-CoV-2 based on hypothesized ratio of aerosol to droplet carriers.

Hardly anyone does the above. My wife and I use masks with 2.5 um filters to help ensure large droplets are ensnared on the mask. Swap out the filter at the end of each day and put the masks into a UV-C box, and then the laundry. Even that is not perfect and it is still not perfect because ultimately virus particles are smaller than the mesh of the mask or filter. However, it certainly reduces the amount of virus that escapes from my mouth or nose into the enviroment by trapping most of the droplets before they escape.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you how many "disposable masks" I have seen hanging from rear view mirrors. One of my own employees who was bent on "sticking it to the man" wore 1 mask for 9 months without changing it or disenfecting it ended up in the hospital with a sinus infection so bad that doctors thought it would rupture his eye socket. Further the number of different bacteria and viruses cultured required extreme treatment (though no SARS-CoV-2).

So, you cannot count on people not being idiots or intentionally evasive and doing everything that they can to confound the best advice possible. If you could, this thread would not be a record length for Gator Country.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  6. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    I fine with believing in the vaccine, I believe in my natural immunity

7. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Um you're classifying me as anti vaxer since I won't get the vaccine even though I have natural immunity, dude your so full of shit. You and others don't know which is better either

8. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    If you are not anti-vaccine, then why wouldn't you follow the recommendations and get it?

9. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Actually I did, since I've already had covid they already stated that natural immunity is just as good or better. I caught covid back in November and I still have the antibodies

• Like Like x 1
  10. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    I don’t think it matters what your reason. You’re an anti-vaxer. Wear it proudly.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Luckily we have a RCT mask study since that article I posted. It’s the Danish Mask study. Very interesting.

12. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    If you hadn’t already got covid, would you vaccinate?

(that’s rhetorical - I know you wouldn’t - gotta own the libs)

13. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I find it absolutely amazing that a person can read the Danish Mask study, and interpret it to say that masks don't provide any protection.

I find it more amazing that after having been quoted the sections of the Danish Mask study that refute their interpretation, they can continue to cite the Danish Mask study as supporting their interpretation. They are so desperate for the imprimatur of science that they cling to it even when it doesn't say what they want it to see.

Notice that while they continue to cite it, they never link to it or quote from it.

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I’ve linked that study more times than anyone on this board most likely. And yes I do understand it. Unfortunately you do not. Not a surprise.

15. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    Great, quote the part that supports your claim.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Scroll down to the first reply.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Article discussing said Danish mask study:

Landmark Danish study finds no significant effect for facemask wearers | The Spectator

"In this community-based, randomized controlled trial conducted in a setting where mask wearing was uncommon and was not among other recommended public health measures related to COVID-19, a recommendation to wear a surgical mask when outside the home among others did not reduce, at conventional levels of statistical significance, incident SARS-CoV-2 infection compared with no mask recommendation."

[​IMG]
    Have fun.

[​IMG]

18. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    For those following along at home, the quote above is only the first sentence of a paragraph that includes the statement, "The findings, however, should not be used to conclude that a recommendation for everyone to wear masks in the community would not be effective in reducing SARS-CoV-2 infections".

The authors of the study also state, "It is important to emphasize that this trial did not address the effects of masks as source control or as protection in settings where social distancing and other public health measures are not in effect", in discussing the applications of their research.

For anyone who wants to read the actual study for themselves:
    ACP Journals

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You asked for proof. I provided said proof. Sorry you don’t like it. That study paired with the cdc studies that I posted earlier show there is almost zero reasons to wear a mask. It’s ok to realize that now. Zero reason to reinstate mask requirements now. Vaccinate everyone over 18 and children with underlying conditions.

20. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    The study is interesting, covering outdoor wear in a country that largely socially distances in normal conditions.
    Tests were largely self administered. If you look at PCR confirmation of positive in 20 cases. 5 masked, 15 unmasked. Significant, who knows.

While I concur that outdoor wear is largely silly, other variables like number of people in the household structure, work environment, etc the data wasn’t shown. Study weaknesses “uncontrolled variables “

For walking down the beach, absolutely, in the confined workplace?

I believe there is a German study that is more tightly controlled.