Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Lol. Looking at real world data and still thinking masks worked shows how naive you are. It’s ok to admit you were wrong. The study you provided doesn’t compare to areas that didn’t mask. So it’s pretty useless, but you know that. Go look at MI and see if masks worked. If your answer is yes then we know you are full of crap. Not surprising.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Seasonality plays a part for sure, how much i don’t know. The chart in the NE is from 3 months ago. I posted that just to show that increases in different areas of the country at different times of the year.

3. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The south last summer had an uptick in cases for sure. Happening again. The northeast was high in April, just like last year. To dismiss as nothing I think is wrong.

The role of seasonality in the spread of COVID-19 pandemic

4. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    So you are thinking covid prefers cold weather in the north but hot weather in the south?

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    More like when are people more likely to be inside. Don’t think people should dismiss the correlation between states that has been evident since the start.

6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    There probably is something to that in July, where its starts getting hot as hell in the Deep South. It doesn’t line up with the seasonality of the flu in the south, but maybe this virus thrives a bit more (even compared to flu) in these indoor conditions.

But what does that have to do with April in the northeast? Where the weather starts moderating, people start doing more outdoor activities, etc. That map would run counter to this point about July in the south.

7. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    But you’re spouting literal anti-vax nonsense that if anyone is on the fence regarding the vax your hubristic posting can do harm. And with your last sentence apparently it’s projection and wishing harm on those who disagree. I genuinely don’t want a antivaxer in the hospital realizing the mistake they’ve made, like we’ve seen already.
    It might be time to turn off Fox News or try another site besides QAnon. Seriously.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  8. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No, because those numbers usually trail about 2-3 weeks so March is usually very cold in the northeast. I lived in PA for years and March is usually pretty dang cool outside.

9. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yes, it does. The study runs a fixed effects regression in which a county's mask mandate status is coded as an indicator variable and it's effects are measured over time. So a particular area's non-mask mandate policy is captured by the intercept plus the fixed effects for the county and date. The indicator variable then captures the change in infection rate due to the mask mandate policy beyond the model's expectations for that observation controlling for unobserved heterogeneity through the fixed effects observables through the observed variables. Both areas with mask mandates and those without mask mandates are used to estimate the coefficients. This is pretty basic regression analysis.

It's okay to admit you were wrong.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No it doesn’t. Just because you were proven wrong, again, doesn’t mean you should just double down and make stuff up. All it talks about is in person restaurant dining. It’s ok to say “my bad” and move on, but the best part is you wont. Just like with lockdowns and school closures. It never fails.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I'll quote the paper, since you are struggling to follow it apparently.

They assess the effects of both policies using indicator variables. That compares them to an expectation for what that observation of the dependent variable would be without mandates.

It is right there in the paper that they are assessing both restaurant closures and mask mandates. It is okay to say "my bad" and move on but the best part is you won't. Good luck trying to square how the first two sentences of that paragraph lays out how they are studying both policies despite your claim. That should be fun.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

That’s not what it says. But not surprising coming from you.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I quoted the paper. Directly. But you didn't disappoint.

"Some people will stare data in the face and make up any and all excuses for real world data."

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Some people will never admit they were wrong. You didn’t on lockdowns and school closures and now this. Shocking…

Some people are so full of themselves they refuse to look all possible data and make changes to their thinking. You are the perfect example. You should be proud.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Oh, the irony of the four fingers pointed back at you on each point. The paper shot down your theories, and you couldn't even read it correctly, so now you need to lash out to cover for that. I am sure you are proud of yourself, but you shouldn't be. I'll take the W and walk away now. Enjoy the L.

• Winner Winner x 6
  16. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Good try. I can’t help it if you interpret data wrong over and over. Not surprising from you over the last year plus though. I mean you are batting about .100 right now. You must feel like Vandy football. Sucks for you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    What is your interpretation of "County-level data on state-issued mask mandates and restaurant closures were obtained from executive and administrative orders identified on state government websites. Orders were analyzed and coded to extract mitigation policy variables for mask mandates and restaurant closures, their effective dates and expiration dates, and the counties to which they applied. State-issued mask mandates were defined as requirements for persons to wear a mask 1) anywhere outside their home or 2) in retail businesses and in restaurants or food establishments. State-issued restaurant closures were defined as prohibitions on restaurants operating or limiting service to takeout, curbside pickup, or delivery. Allowing restaurants to provide indoor or outdoor on-premises dining was defined as the state lifting a state-issued restaurant closure.* All coding underwent secondary review and quality assurance checks by two or more raters; upon agreement among all raters, coding and analyses were published in freely available data sets"?

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Funny thing about this "real world data" vs "controlled study data". You CAN NOT analyze "real world data" and know what elements were variable. That is why people do controlled studies.

How do you interpret the "real world effectiveness" of masks, but yet we have no idea of what percentage of people in a given area used masks and used them correctly? That is why you need controlled studies. To understand the results you need to understand the value of all variables.

Also, I would still like to someone show me where there was a lockdown in the United States? It just did not happen.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

More "dis-information" from real world data.

IF masks worked like some said, then why when states dropped their mask mandates didn't cases explode back up? Well, because they don't work. IF we all had N95 masks, then yes they would work pretty dang well, but 99% of masks being used aren't the proper masks.

[​IMG]

I'm confused, why didn't Texas Covid deaths increase after pulling the mask mandate? All due to the Vaccine i guess... But CA kept their restrictions and has an almost identical chart. Just lucky I guess...

20. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We have the "Real" data right here from the CDC before the nutjobs said masks solve everything.

Nonpharmaceutical Measures for Pandemic Influenza in Nonhealthcare Settings—Personal Protective and Environmental Measures

"In our systematic review, we identified 10 RCTs that reported estimates of the effectiveness of face masks in reducing laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infections in the community from literature published during 1946–July 27, 2018. In pooled analysis, we found no significant reduction in influenza transmission with the use of face masks (RR 0.78, 95% CI 0.51–1.20; I2 = 30%, p = 0.25) (Figure 2)."

Somehow everyone decided to ignore that data.