Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Wrong on that statement. DeSantis compared Florida to Canada. Canada decreased 5.4% in 2020 while Florida decreased only 2.9%.

After worst year on record, Canadian economy enters 2021 with double digit growth

https://www.bea.gov/sites/default/files/2021-06/qgdpstate0621.pdf

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    RCT Study on the affects of Carbon Dioxide on kids. Kids should not be wearing masks.

Experimental Assessment of Carbon Dioxide Content in Inhaled Air With or Without Face Masks in Healthy Children

"This leads in turn to impairments attributable to hypercapnia. A recent review6 concluded that there was ample evidence for adverse effects of wearing such masks. We suggest that decision-makers weigh the hard evidence produced by these experimental measurements accordingly, which suggest that children should not be forced to wear face masks."

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    DeSantis’ executive orders lifting restrictions cite the efficacy of the vaccines. People just need to read and get their information from reliable sources.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    From your link:

The limitations of the study were its short-term nature in a laboratory-like setting and the fact that children were not occupied during measurements and might have been apprehensive.
    When air doesn't mix, it stagnates. When this happens, CO2 can and will build up. Ever know a school child to sit still in a lab for long? Yet, that's what this study looked at. 45 children, stagnate, in a lab.

Try a real world study, with a lot more kids, and in real world conditions. Then you might have something.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    There is a logic to the fact that a mask that blocks air flow in also blocks it going out. Which increases CO2.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I get it. It blows your whole "mask everyone" routine out of the water. Europe already isn't recommending kids get vaccinated, also ruining your "vaccinate everyone" argument. But hey, you keep saying it and some will still believe you.

Those dang RCT's really are a pesky bunch for some of the "keep masking school kids" group. Oops.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Medical professionals wear N95 masks. The name refers to 95 nanometers, which is the smallest particle that can pass through the mask. How many pass out from CO2 issues on any given day?

The school district I send my kids to has over 30,000 kids, and had a mask mandate all year. Started in person classes with a hybrid schedule about 6 weeks after school started. 2 weeks after, full in-person. Save two weeks of online followed by 2 more weeks of hybrid during the worst outbreak, kids were full-time, with a mask mandate, all the way to the end. Know how many kids had CO2 issues? Me neither. Can't find anything on it.

Meanwhile, not a single kid 12 or older who received the vaccine has died from it. The myocarditis cases are almost all mostly minor, require only observation, and everyone who had it is expected to fully recover. Can you say the same about kids who got COVID?

8. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
  9. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The last part you are making up. You have no idea if not one single kid 12 or older died from Covid. VAER's says otherwise. It'd be wise to wait for the data to come out instead of making up stuff. I do love the "minor" myocarditis argument. So caring I see. Too funny. Just because the data I provided ruins your whole argument, no need to make up stuff. Just accept it and root for another variant that you can try to scare everyone about.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Actually, it suggests that someone tried to perform a reasonable experiment, but used an incapable method of measuring transient CO2 volumes/durations.

I appreciate the investigaiton and you posting the article. Given the small volumes for the lungs of children relative to adults, this is probably something worth additional studies, just with measurement systems that are better suited for what the researchers are trying to do.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree it needs to be investigated further. Zero reason to mask kids nor vaccinate any child until more data is available. Many European countries are waiting until more data is available before vaccinating kids without health issues.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I could be mistaken here, but the European Union vaccine roll out had been a total and complete disaster based on near 100% reliance on Astra Zeneca initially. They were not vaccinating children under the age of 16 until last month because they did not yet have enough vaccine doses for the highest risk patients. However, now that they have played "catch up" the European Medicines Agency has approved a mRNA (basically the child version of Pfizer's shot) vaccine for all children 12 and older.

First COVID-19 vaccine approved for children aged 12 to 15 in EU | European Medicines Agency

13. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

German panel gives limited approval for COVID-19 shot for adolescents

"Germany's vaccine advisory committee, known as STIKO, recommended on Thursday that only children and adolescents with pre-existing conditions should be given the coronavirus vaccine produced by Pfizer (PFE.N) and partner BioNTech (22UAy.DE).

STIKO said in a statement that it recommends a vaccination only for those youngsters with an illness that raises their risk of a serious case of coronavirus.

It said it was not currently recommending the use of the vaccine for those aged 12-17 without pre-existing conditions, although noted doctors were allowed to give the shot if the individual accepts the risk."

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    So, the Germans, who certainly do not speak for the bulk of the European Union have decided not to recommend, but if people want to it is ok. Quite the "wet noodle" stance there.

Also, it very much appears the Germans are the outliar.....(there is a historical shocker):

Romania, Italy Open COVID-19 Vaccinations For Adolescents

15. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The Brits will decide on whether or not to vaccinate kids 12 and older later this summer. They are currently doing everything by age group, and are finishing up 30 and older, and are moving on to 20 and older right now. The debate for kids stems on what is the greater good. Sending the vaccines to poorer countries to vaccinate populations at risk in those countries, or vaccinate UK kids 12 and older to prevent the spread of COVID in the UK? There is an argument for doing both. Clearly helping at risk populations in poor countries will help. But at the same time, especially with the Delta variant, if kids 12 and older aren't vaccinated, they are likely to be carriers and spread COVID within the UK, which negatively effects Brit health. There are also long haul COVID to consider, which does effect kids at the same rate as adults.

What will likely happen is UK kids 12 and older who are at risk will be allowed to get the jab, while the UK will decide to send extra vaccines to poor countries. Just speculation on my part trying to read the British tea leaves. But nothing has been set yet, and there are Brit doctors arguing vaccinating kids 12 and older will help the UK reach herd immunity within the country, which certainly has a lot of value.

As for the safety of the COVID vaccine in kids, there have been no reports of kids dying from the jab, despite a now deleted social media post claiming otherwise. And the VAERS report. From the link:

But VAERS accepts reports without verifying whether a vaccine actually caused that incident. That makes VAERS a dangerous breeding ground for misinformation that spreads quickly on social media and elsewhere. For more than 30 years, VAERS data has been misused to justify broad conclusions that vaccines are harmful.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I would guess a lot will depend upon how quickly they can catch up the older groups and how the US reports of myocarditis trend. If 90+% really are 48 hour events treated by over the counter anti-inflammatories, then guessing the move forward. IF larger numbers of teens start showing up with longer term cardiac issues as a result, I think everyone will have to admit that they were wrong about the safety of the shot, and the Europeans will be unlikely to follow the American lead.

18. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    If masks are blocking CO2 going out, you'd think they'd also be blocking virus going out too.

19. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I was just told that one of my managers and his wife both tested postive for COVID and they have both been vaccinated. They were going on a trip where they had to have a negative test 72 hours before they left and now they can't go.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am a little concerned about him because he had rare brain cancer several years ago. They basically removed all of his blood and replaced it. They wiped out his immune system and he had to go back and have all of his vaccines done over again.

He was cured of the brain cancer.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1