Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    No. Not without this thread passing “The Thread.” See, I just added my useless comment to move it closer!

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Seems to be trending that way. Just thought that article did a really good job of explaining what they were studying and “why” along with safety protocols and political interests.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    No way near as entertaining as the thread

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Yes we are. The difference is you and I likely disagree on how far one HAS to go to be a good citizen doing their part.

I have written policy for a large office, I have enforced all mandated protocols from our governor. I wear a mask everywhere, including some travels to states that have lighter restrictions. I have watched my daughter's sophomore and now junior years of HS and dance, and my other daughter's freshman year of HS and dance both get obliterated. My son hasn't played basketball in over a year. (He is 10 and is pretty freaking good and LOVES the game.) I encouraged my own parents (late 60's early 70's) to get the vaccine for their safety. We have all done a lot to help save lives.

Some of us draw the line at demonizing people for making a choice as to what they put in their own bodies.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I wear my mask in all public places. I am vaccinated and get tested every other Monday. I simply laugh at people in their car alone with a mask like I would if you drove with your coffee cup on the top of the car. Heck, I ruined a mask trying to eat through it cuz I forgot I was wearing it when I sat down... brain cramp. Feel free to laugh. As for outside I always assume they are people living with high at risk family members and they want to be super safe. What is so appalling about that? Maybe they have a overweight kid with asthma that isnt old enough for vaccines or an elderly gramma that is too sick for the vaccine... who knows????

My 17 year old just got his second shot yesterday.

• Like Like x 3
  6. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    When someone accuses me of being an anti vaxxer i will not respond well. My kids have every single vaccination that is required and i've never thought for a second about getting one. BUT, those were all FDA approved. Now this guy is saying I won't get the vaccine for my kids. He has no idea. And when someone makes such an outlandish statement "Half of kids who get it have long lasting symptoms" it needs to be called out for what it is.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tilly

Why would you say that? I haven't seen any real anti-vaxers making much noise here.
    My kids have all theirs. I had all mine growing up. I encouraged my parents to get this one.

Why do you assume any of us will still refuse a fully approved vaccine when we are on the record here as having all the others?

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  8. tilly

Just trying to reset the tone. I actually just addressed this above ironically.

9. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Perhaps a bit of literature review is necessary:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.23.21250375v1.full.pdf

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Anything besides the FACT they don't know if it's Covid that's causing the issue? Could be anxiety from being away from friends or school or just about anything. Sounds like this "study" set out to find an answer they wanted to find. But you know that. Any rational person knows IF this was the case, we would have millions of kids having these issues and there would be data in the US supporting it. But hey, keep trying!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I am sorry that the literature and data doesn't tell you what you want to hear. Amazing the difference in how you respond to studies that tell you what you want to hear vs. how you respond to studies that tell you things that you don't want to hear.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Waiting for this response. Man, that was a great study. I mean they must've studied thousands of kids, right? Oh wait, it was 129 kids? Wow! Amazing! Wonder why no major publications are talking about it. Only keyboard covid experts like yourself. So funny. Keep it up!

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Strike two:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/03/18/virus-longhaul-coronavirus-children/

Any other attempts to deflect from numbers that you don't like?

• Like Like x 1
  14. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  15. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    You said no major publications were talking about the study. That article specifically referenced the study (its obvious you didn't actually read it). The Washington Post is certainly a major publication. Sorry that your point was wrong again.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    That probably ends any possibility of continuing the federal moratorium into the fall. The real estate market is going to get wild when the moratoriums end.

U.S. judge throws out pandemic-related moratorium on evicting renters

17. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Nope. But good effort. Keep trying. But I see you glossed over the "small study" part LOL. So funny.

18. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    You're asking a lot of people it took some people a year just to be brave enough to go out to eat

19. tilly

1. We all do that. We all respond differently to studies or articles based on bias. You included.
    2. In fairness, that study barely "studied" anyone.

20. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    129 is greater than zero. And that was the alternative he was proposing. Yes, it is a small sample. But it is what we had. And if he is going to dismiss people for saying things that are in line with the only peer reviewed study on the topic (which it now has been published in a peer reviewed journal) and do so whole insulting people, it should be pointed out.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1