Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. AndyGator

AndyGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Each to their own. My family and I including my 20-something kids continue to wear masks in crowded situations even though we have all been vaccinated. We will do so until the CDC recommends otherwise.

• Like Like x 2
  2. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Yes, and you can thank those who have gotten vaccinated for this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I'll put it this way. If the grandparents is susceptible to a breakthrough case, who is safer to hug? A fully vaccinated 16-year old? Or a 16-year old with no vaccine?

We can't eliminate all risk, but when it comes to COVID-19, we should damn well try.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    If we could just find 30-40 million Americans brave enough to to take that first shot . . .

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    exactly

6. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I mean that is sorta what it says right?

7. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    The risk of under 18 getting and dying from covid is 277/75 million = 4 in one million. That is very small, but greater than the worst case 1 in a million clotting complications from vaccine.

COVID-19 deaths by age U.S. April 2021 | Statista

Risk of hospitalization is 8 in 100,000. While low, far higher than any known risk of the vaccine.

Hospitalization Rates and Characteristics of Children Aged 18 Years Hospitalized with Laboratory-Confirmed COVID-19 — COVID-NET, 14 States, March 1–July 25, 2020 | MMWR

Almost half of children who get covid have long lasting symptoms

Children with long covid

Hundreds of millions of vaccine doses have been given out with no evidence of material side affects. Deciding that there may be some unknown long term and material side effects from the vaccine that are greater than the risk of the disease is totally irrational and not supported by any data. The vaccine is worth it for kids to get it just based upon the risks of the disease to kids.

Also, for most kids who have grandparents, I would think that anything one can safely do to reduce the risk of their grandparents getting covid is worthwhile. After a year I finally got to see my 80+ year old parents- they were fully vaxed and so were my 16 year old son and I who visited.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. tilly

You can always make someone "safer to hug", but you implied she could not hug them. I contend that is silly based on the data, especially if they are ok with it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Why not lower the risk even more by having kids vaccinated? While the covid risk to vaccinated old people is low, it isn't zero.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. tilly

You can do that. Of course.

But, Nothing is zero. But most grandparents are hugging their grandkids...especially vaccinated grandparents.
    Heck, all of them I know were doing it without a vaccine. That's what grandparents do.

My early efforts to keep my kids away were met with...ummmm...disagreement.
    Now that they are vaxed, not a chance.

I mean when did "zero" risk become our goal for anything?
    Grandparents drive right?
    Kids ride bikes dont they?
    Heck my wife just broke both arms on my 10yr olds hoverboard.

Zero risk is not realistic.

But a kid with a 2% chance of having it, with a grandparent fully vaccinated, while wearing a mask if need be, can hug their grandparent with the same confidence as any other low risk activity in society.

11. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Because it’s not approved for children. Because children are at almost zero risk. Because we don’t have data on what side affects might affect children. You go get your kids vaccinated. Mine will wait until there is a LOT more data out there.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Your reasons for not vaccinating your kids is not based upon evidence, as I indicated in the other post. It is based upon something else. Half of kids who get it have long lasting symptoms. You are choosing to let your kids have that small but non trivial risk.

My guess is when it is fully FDA approved you will find another reason to avoid it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    If you can easily and safely lower the risk substantially more, why wouldn't you? Recall the unvaccinated covid positive health care worker who infected all those patients in the old folks home. One of the old people died, in spite of vaccination.

14. tilly

Substantially? Only 2% of the population even has covid. Most of those one might assume are adults. That includes factoring in places that are struggling.
    Where you or I live it may be much lower than that. So lets say half of 1% of the current cases are children.
    Now couple that with the fact that this tiny chance of having covid is offset by the other person being fully vaccinated and now 95% safe.
    Then further add the ability to still wear a mask, distance after the hug etc and there is really no reason to keep those sorts of separations ongoing. (I would understand if a health issue exists)

Certainly you agree with my overall point? While I am all for getting your kids vaxed when allowed (if you want), I simply am stunned that anyone would keep a segment of the population that has a >1% chance of even having it (on the overall scale) from fully vaccinated adults is just odd to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    You can’t compare the risk of death versus clotting. You need to compare the risk of clotting and COVID complications to the risk of clotting and vaccine complications. Higher from COVID.

16. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
  17. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

LOL. Half of kids who get Covid have long lasting symptoms? That is complete BS. The rest of what you said is useless drivel. If/when the vaccine is fda approved my kids will get it. But you keep making crap up. You seem good at it.

18. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Yeah, that's what it says. A lot of us are doing our part to prevent people from dying.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. tilly

Look, everyone's opinion is valid here. Lots of info swirling around. I tend to lean your way irt my kids on this one. The chances are almost zero that they put a vaccinated person at risk and they are at almost zero risk themselves. I don't see other opinions as "useless drivel" or "crap". I just fundamentally disagree with it.

We can have this conversation without going there cant we?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
  20. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    There is a difference between being made or modified synthetically in a lab and escaping from a lab. Even the Washington Post had a story last week about the need to investigate the origins of the virus. However, there is circumstantial evidence that it is a natural virus and escaped from a lab. First, this is what they do in Wuhan at the lab there. Second, the virus acts strangely. Normally, viruses pass on surfaces and outside. Virus need to pass outside to go from one animal to another. This virus has little transmission outside or from surfaces. Instead, passes by aerosol spread inside in closed environments. Third, it affects numerous tissues, not like many viruses which target specific tissues. It is a respiratory infection that also affects endothelial and other cells, which indicates that it has been passed through various tissues. Fourth, and relatedly, it is very effective in latching onto the tissues it affects and is very comfortable in human tissue. There is more, but I believe this virus escaped from a lab.