Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    False? We know people have had Covid. Now the question is who actually had Covid. PCR tests are very unreliable as we all know and the fact they are using a threshold of 40 is beyond stupid. But you know this. I like the effort, even though it's a losing argument for you. Again. I'll let you do the BS numbers and spread the covid fear for everyone. You've been good at it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yes, you are simultaneously trying to claim that the classification of people having Covid is false, but then telling people to do math based on the classification of people as having Covid. Pick a lane. You don't get both. At least not in any logically consistent manner.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    When you and others make outlandish claims, i will be here to call out the BS. Like i did on schools and lockdowns with you.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    You are still a liar on that one.

But the only BS I see here is that you are claiming that the system for classification into has Covid/doesn't have Covid groups is BS but simultaneously arguing that classification into the has Covid group means that you don't need a vaccine. Any person in possession of basic logic would recognize that you can't simultaneously argue both points in any logically consistent manner.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jim Hamblin of the Atlantic on this week's Social Distance podcast episode said there is talk of developing a universal vaccine that would cover most future coronavirus variants, which would be wonderful

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Nope. I get it. I'd be mad if someone was bringing up my mistakes all the time as well. But the truth hurts.

We have had millions of people with Covid in the US. That much is true. Problem is the CDC decided to use a threshold that they knew wasn't correct for detecting Covid. So the TRUE numbers of covid in the US is unknown at this point. There is no disputing that. The CDC can make an estimate, but that's all it is. The only Real data we have is hospitalizations, because the deaths have been flawed as well. None of this is debatable. You will try most likely and fail again like you have previously. But i like the never quit attitude. Even when obviously beaten.

• Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    The tells that you have lost an argument on its merits: ignoring the actual argument, deflecting to schools (even though it is a lie in this case), and declaring victory. Those from you are basically as good as an admission that you have no real argument for how one can simultaneously argue that the classification of people with Covid is not reliable for the aggregate numbers but that it should be treated as gospel in determining whether to get a vaccine. But that your own ego can't stand that fact, so it needs to create an alternative reality in which you can believe yourself to having won. It's old. It's boring. And it is a bit sad.

• Winner Winner x 3
  8. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Already won the original argument. You tried to change the subject and go off on a tangent as usual. Not surprising.

Ego? You won't admit that you were wrong on school and lockdowns. That's funny coming from you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Fully fitting with what I wrote in the post. Thanks for the demonstration.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You've been doing a bang up job avoiding talking about schools and lockdowns since you were shown to be wrong. And now you try to act like you didn't defend school closures and lockdowns. It's quite comical. But hey, like I said, some on here buy the bs you shovel. Not surprising at all.

11. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    For most diseases, if you contract it a second time, it's often much less severe than the first. There is no such thing as a 24-hour "bug", but most of the time, when you get sick and feel better in 24 hours or less, it's a 2nd infection, and your immune system just reacts a lot faster. This is the prevailing wisdom for most infections, but not all.

COVID-19 seems to be one of those viruses that don't fit the common pattern. People who get infected a 2nd time run the gamut when it comes to severity and symptoms. Some do have immunity, and seem to be not affected at all by the second infection. Others have it a lot more severe the second time around. We're still trying to figure out why, but here is one article with some explanations. Here's another.

For those susceptible to a second infection, it seems natural immunity wears off somewhere around the 6 month mark. And again, the percentage of people with a second infection seems to be higher than breakthrough cases of those who get fully vaccinated, but still end up contracting the disease.

And this is the point. The vaccine isn't a cure. It's only 95% effective at best. And effectiveness seems to wane much like natural immunity so that at around the 6 month mark, the vaccine is closer to 90% effective.

Any way you slice it, the best bet to put COVID behind us is the vaccine. We need everyone eligible to get vaccinated as soon as possible if we are to reach herd immunity. It's possible a significant percentage of people who got COVID the first half of 2020 have little or no immunity at all. If/when they get the vaccine, that's a 95% guarantee of immunity, and again, if we get 3/4 of the population vaccinated, then herd immunity kicks in.

Personally, I just don't understand the hesitation. We all want to get back to normal, and it seems the people most reluctant to get the vaccine are the same ones who think we never should have shut down in the first place, and were screaming to liberate places like Michigan. Well, want to liberate Michigan and the entire country? Get the vaccine.

12. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Only got two of the three this time (despite one still being untrue, which is why you can't provide a single specific example ever). Weak post.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    It makes no sense at all. Many of the people who've complained the loudest about shutdowns and mask mandates won't do the one thing that will put those things in the past -- get vaccinated.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So, you agree schools shouldn't have been closed and lockdowns don't work in the US?

15. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    There isn't one answer to either of those questions. Schools were properly closed in March of last year. They should have been re-opened outside of areas with extensive community spread based upon definable thresholds in the fall. Schools are far more crucial than some of the businesses that were being re-opened that served to spread the virus.

Nobody in the US engaged in what the literature defines as a "lockdown." Many areas engaged in a variety of other policies, such as stay-at-home orders (defined by not going to work) or school closures or restaurant closures, but nobody engaged in a lockdown in the US. You were always allowed to leave your house for a variety of reasons or no reason at all. An inability to do so is a defining feature of a literature-defined lockdown. So your second question is nonsensical. Feel free to re-formulate if you would like an answer to a different question.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So, we have the CDC's guidelines in looking into Covid vaccine cases. Interesting that the CDC is using a PCR Threshold of 28 and lower for them to investigate Covid cases. Not sure how significant of a pandemic we have with those measures. For sure we would have significantly less covid cases. This proves what i've been saying about BS Covid numbers. The CDC knows a PCR level of 40 was bogus. NOW the CDC only wants to investigate PCR tests of under 28. Should've been doing that from the beginning.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-...D-vaccine-breakthrough-case-investigation.pdf

17. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

LOL. Tell that to Newsom who said he locked down Cali and tell the LA Times that Cali didn't lock down. You keep trying to make up crap.

Inside Gavin Newsom's fateful decision to lock down California

Gavin Newsom’s Covid-19 Lockdown May Be Working; Daily Cases Down 40% – Deadline

Newsom claims lifting lockdown isn't 'political' but critics point to recall threat

California governor promises changes to lockdown as protests sweep state

Do you want me to keep posting stories on CA locking down? Or do you like your "own" version of what a lockdown constitutes LOL. Great job, again!

• Like Like x 1
  18. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    We'd still have more than 500k deaths.

19. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not from Covid we don't. That's the problem. CDC using a PCR threshold of 40 for a covid+ test, when they know that's complete garbage. Anything over a threshold of 28 isn't Covid, yet we are labeling anyone who dies of anything "with" covid as a covid death. Covid caused a lot of deaths. Just not the number they are saying. No one has an accurate number. That's the problem. This isn't some new info on PCR levels. It's been known since last spring but our brilliant CDC and the Trump admin didn't do anything about it. Just a terrible decision all around. Clouds the correct info and makes it almost impossible to have accurate info.

20. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I looked through your links. I see no quotes from Newsome in any saying that he locked down anything. Those were popular media sources utilizing overly broad terms. So your claim that any of those articles show Newsom calling his policies "lockdown" is not supported by the evidence you provided.

I utilize the term in the literature that I have read from public health in peer reviewed studies. Again, if you wish to examine specific policies, I am more than happy to do so. But as the scientific literature that I have read defines the term, nobody in the US has engaged in a lockdown.

• Winner Winner x 2