Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

Definitely on a downward trend across the country.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    This is alarming. I am curious about what other doctors are seeing across the country.
    MSN

Post-COVID lungs worse than the worst smokers' lungs, surgeon says

A Texas trauma surgeon says it's rare that X-rays from any of her COVID-19 patients come back without dense scarring. Dr. Brittany Bankhead-Kendall tweeted, "Post-COVID lungs look worse than any type of terrible smoker's lung we've ever seen. And they collapse. And they clot off. And the shortness of breath lingers on... & on... & on."

She says patients who've had COVID-19 symptoms show a severe chest X-ray every time, and those who were asymptomatic show a severe chest X-ray 70% to 80% of the time.

"There are still people who say 'I'm fine. I don't have any issues,' and you pull up their chest X-ray and they absolutely have a bad chest X-ray," she said.

• Informative Informative x 4
  3. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  4. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I have a bit of a problem with what is being said here. From a person who has had collapsed lung to the point of surgery and then contracted a disease which really did a number on my lungs, I see little chance a person with severe damage to their lungs does not realize the difference and would say they don't have any issues.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I hear you. Might it be that patients have been lying to her or her colleagues about how they feel?

By the way, the link was just one of the first I found but patients lying to physicians is something I've heard about for decades.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    more positive numbers for people to take as they will. hospitalizations at 116,264 down 3700 from yesterday,10th straight day, lowest since december 21st. 6th straight day with less than 200,000 new positives, cases down 35% since the high of 308,000 on january 8th.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014

9. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Had a little time before hoops game and found the below. People who need to reconsider their choice of news sources.

These go on and on and I'm sure people will say "nobody knew." But they did - the experts did know of the danger and 400,000 American deaths later we do too.

The nonsense of minimizing this (hoax or just the flu), laymen arguing with experts, politicizing it ("to attack trump"), believing some hack conservative doctor who is not an epidemiologist, BS "cures" - all of it is politicizing what was a social, medical, and scientific question. With about 4% of the world population, the US has about 20% of covid mortality.

Should be food for thought as to where folks get their information and whom and what we believe.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  10. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    why is the damage so bad?

11. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Food for thought? Can’t even eat out in a restaurant

12. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Sit outside! Uber eats? If there is a will to avoid cooking, there is a way!

@gator95 gave a "Come on Man". What is wrong with asking why people were SO unbelievably wrong? When I am wrong, I try to figure out why. Did I miss some facts? Was my logic faulty? If folks care more about being right or their political view than lives, what is to be said?

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. vaxcardinal

Apr 8, 2007
    I said eat at a restaurant, not eat restaurant food. Pay attention

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Sit outside is not "eating out at a restaurant?" Hmmm, wonder why my waiter is pouring me a beer now?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. vaxcardinal

Apr 8, 2007
    Probably because you live in a state where restaurants have been open for a while

16. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    So he is eating at a restaurant.

Pay attention.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Ok, let’s play this game. Why were you and others so wrong on insisting schools being closed? You and others were tremendously wrong wrong in the belief that schools should be closed. See, this is easy to play armchair QB. The reason most people were wrong early on is because China was lying about their Covid numbers. If you can’t see that then that shows your partisanship.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  18. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Let's play another game: why don't you try telling the truth about what the discussions were in the early days of the thread? For a change.

It starts by reading. And, actually addressing what was said in the conteaxt of what was said.

You did not, and made up the China comment. Simply not truthful.

So, go back and read the thread from the beginning and you will see that the reason those posters were wrong had nothing to do with China.

That by then, the virus had exploded in Italy.

And, here is the CDC on schools, since you are diverting from the subject.

Our national policy is: take your chances.

COVID-19 and Your Health

• The true incidence of COVID-19 in children is not known due to lack of widespread testing and the prioritization of testing for adults and those with severe illness. Recent evidence suggests that compared to adults, children likely have similar viral loads in their noses and throats and can spread the virus to others. This webpage contains information and checklists for parents, guardians, and caregivers to help them make decisions about their children attending in-person school during the COVID-19 pandemic. Parents, guardians, and caregivers can assess the risk of contracting the virus that causes COVID-19 and of developing severe illness from COVID-19 for their child, for themselves, and for other household members. They can also assess the needs of their children and household to determine which of the available learning formats is the best option.
    It is important to understand how to avoid getting sick when any household member participates in in-person activities, including in-person learning. Because children can spread the virus that causes COVID-19 to others, parents, guardians, and caregivers should consider whether their child(ren) or other household members are at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19 when making decisions about in-person school and other activities. If a household includes someone who is at increased risk for severe illness, then all household members should act as if they, themselves, are at increased risk.

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Because kids get it, but don't get tested because cases are milder and they have kid immune systems that handle novel diseases because all are. And they spread it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    The poster I was responding to has a weird agenda, not sure what it is but he seems overly offended about some schools being shut down.
    He asked for a study showing teachers got infected at a higher (with a “I’ll wait” after), but when I posted up a study, he went silent.
    If we could put our kids back in school here, it wouldn’t do any good, we don’t have any teachers.
    Another cobb county teacher died last week, this one from our school.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1