Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Every child who commits suicide? No. If you knew anything about this topic, you would know one of the first rules is that there are no absolutes (and yes, that is ironic). However, almost every person, and especially children who take their lives reaches out in some way. People need to listen to them, understand them and if necessary intervene on their behalf.

Don't be offended if you are too wrapped up in your own stuff to know what your children are thinking, feeling and needing.....it is a common issue in our modern, me-first society.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    this would be meaningful if we had another world where kids weren't kept out of school while a pandemic raged. but, keep drawing conclusions with your 1 cell experiment.

3. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    guess it was not just hillary after all, huh?

4. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I have 2 teenagers but thanks for the unsolicited help... You keep finding anecdotes to "show" covid can kill kids. I'll keep posting that the Flu is much more deadlier to kids and suicides happen when kids are home isolated from their friends(even with parents helping).

5. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    In Florida kids aren't kept out of school. So thanks.

6. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Cmon man. That isn't fair at all. A lot of parents seek help for kids that still end up losing the battle to their sickness. Perhaps I am misreading your post, but a lot of parents do everything they can. Sadly some diseases can not be cured.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    & Florida teens commit suicide. Look daddy I’m scienceing

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm saying that suicides will be up in areas where schools are remote learning only versus places that have in person learning. I'm sure you will say it won't and when the data proves I'm sure you will post to say you were wrong...

Just like with keeping schools closed. You and some of the other Coronabro's were proven wrong and you will be wrong on this as well. It's ok to acknowledge that the Flu is much more deadly to children than covid. It's science, ya know.

9. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    so you don’t have the data. I don’t see me arguing with statical proof IF it is provided. I think you misunderstand me....I’ve never taken a position. I teach face to face & did in the fall. In fact I think your hypothesis is reasonable, but am skeptical that we’ll get proof.

Here’s an antidote: my son is a freshman at CU. He’s doing remote learning in a ski condo in summit county with 2 chums! He’ll be sad when it’s lifted

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  10. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    First, we still don't know the long term effects of COVID on kids, and won't know for a while. It's possible that a significant number of kids who get COVID could be facing a lifetime of issues such as asthma, or heart problems.

Second, it's not just about the kid's health. I posted a few pages ago about the over 300 teachers who have died already in the past 12 months. How many parents and grandparents who live with school-aged children who attended school also got COVID and died? How many were because the kid got sick at school and brought the virus home? Community spread must be taken into consideration.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Your first paragraph is true, and hopefully it will prove a non factor.
    But couldn't the second paragraph be said about a plethora of illnesses and viruses. My guess is the number is very small just like in other illnesses.

12. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    How many teachers usually die in a year? That is needed to try to see how significant 300 teachers dying in year is. There are study after study saying kids don't transmit covid like adults. You keep being negative. How many kids will be poor and have a tougher life than normal because they fell behind at school and didn't have the resource or time to catch up. How many kids will have psychological issues for decades when they grow up? How many kids will be more likely to have drug and alcohol dependency because of the last 12 months? How many kids will have depression? The science is clear. Schools need to be open. IF a teacher doesn't want to teach in person, then they can teach the kids who want to do remote learning. One needs to look at all the data and make the best decision for all. And it's clear that is in person learning.

13. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Coronabros toughing out remote learning at the top of Pali sorry can't tell you which one is my kid to protect his identity. (i am aware that a lot of kids have it really bad & my intention is not to make light of it, but I am happy for my son who had his senior year of HS & freshman year of College upended by the Trump virus)
    [​IMG]

14. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Teaching is generally not a dangerous profession, like say being a LEO. In a typical year, 50 law enforcement officers die in the line of duty. The fact that 6X more teachers have already died from COVID than LEOs in the line of duty should tell you having 300 teachers pass in a year is very unusual and disturbing.

Like it or not, during a pandemic, we are all going to be facing psychological issues. It's a bleeping pandemic; the likes of which we haven't seen in a century! Things are not going to be normal. There will be issues and consequences. It's an awful thing that we all need to get through together. Throwing your arms and saying there's nothing we can do would have meant more than the 400,000 Americans that have already died. To put this number into perspective, that's about the total number of Americans who did in WWII.

And the kids? They will catch up. My Grandfather came to the US at 13 not speaking a lick of English, and not having attended school for a full year while he crossed Europe and then the Atlantic. Did stop him from graduating high school and going on to later graduate college, and having a successful career. Kids doing a year online will put them behind, for sure, but it's not like their academic and professional careers are over because they are lagging a little. That's pure nonsense.

Last, to got back to the 400,000 dead number. This puts COVID 3rd among the leading causes of death in the US, behind cancer and heart disease. The difference between cancer and heart disease and COVID is COVID is communicable. You could be a room full of 100 cancer patients and 100 people with heart issues, and your chances of getting either awful disease doesn't change. Put yourself in a room full of 25 COVID positive patients, and different story.

15. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Comparing LEO's dying in the line of duty to teachers dying of anything during a year is apples and oranges. First off there are around 800k LEO's in the US compared to 3.7 million or so teachers. Again, without knowing how many teachers usually die in a year saying 300 could be a huge number or a very small number. So you are guessing. Some kids won't catch up. You are looking at something that kills 1 out of 1000 people under the age of 50. Stop making it out more than it is. People are dying from Covid. 400k? No, I don't believe that number at all. But yes it's killing the elderly at a significant rate and the main reason i'm so for vaccinating the elderly first since they are most at risk. You keep thinking it's nonsense that kids are losing so much during the past 10+ months. In 3 years when studies start showing the effect of this stupid policy move, you will hopefully come around, but i'm not confident. You are fighting schools being open even though there is abundant evidence to keep schools open. It's sad you won't follow science.

16. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I'll post the CDC's guidelines on when to list COVID as part of COD again, but I know you won't read them. Nor will you understand them. Just keep yelling "science!" even when you have no idea what the word means.

As for total number of teacher deaths in a given year, hard to find data. But between 2010 - 2019, there were less than a total of 200 deaths in school due to violent incidences combined. And this included teachers and students. But that's not the leading cause of school related deaths. That, according to this study that covers 15 years, would be transportation involved deaths, totaling 266 over the period, and accounting for over 1/3 of all school related deaths. And this includes both teachers and students. From this study, total deaths that involved the school, including teachers, students, faculty and staff, would be around 55-60. This study does not cover deaths of teachers/students who died outside of school control.

I guess if we wanted a better estimate, we could look at total deaths per 100,000 Americans by age, get some figures on average age of grade school teachers, and do some extrapolation. But I don't have the time for this kind of research.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So we don't know how many teachers typically die in a year. So 300 deaths a year is still unknown whether that is more or less than a typical year. I've already posted proof that people dying "with" covid as opposed to from "covid". Anyone dying within 30 days of a positive covid test(don't even get me started on the false positives) will get labeled a covid death until shown it's not.

18. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    The parents said in the article there were signs they missed and they should have done more. There direct quotes.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I'd imagine that teachers that die in any given year are most likely to die from the top two causes of death in America annually, which are cancer and heart disease. COVID didn't stop a single person from dying from either of these two awful killers. There is also likely a number teachers that die in a car accident. But with less miles be driven in every state, this number was likely lowered due to COVID. So it's not total teacher deaths. It's additional teacher deaths that the 300 from COVID is represented.

And your "proof" of a difference of dying from COVID and dying with COVID has been debunked time and time again. The CDC has guidelines that all medical professionals follow, and while there might be an individual case here or there, mostly due to human error, there is no conspiracy theory to inflate COVID death numbers. And it's likely the actual number of COVID deaths is higher than being reported, according to this academic study done a few months ago.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You have no data to back up what you said about teacher deaths. So stop with the making up of numbers. Until you can show how many teachers die a year and compare it to 2020 your argument is useless.

With regard to covid reporting, I’m sure this is an isolated incident...

upload_2021-1-20_17-49-45.jpeg