Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in Florida

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Mar 12, 2020.

1. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    No, it is only because we are vaccinating anyone over 65 period is why people have come here. Makes more sense to vaccinate those who could spread it and not those that are not going to work every day and thus not at risk of spreading it.

A lady from Argentina visiting family shouldn't get the vaccine, yet she did. Taking it away from Floridians.

I guess you've never agreed with the CDC. There were a lot of trial by error decisions in the beginning and only because it was a novel virus. We now obviously know more and how to contain it, but there are those out there, you are apparently one of them, that just puts that stamp of approval on anything this governor does. Did you approve of his high fiving trumps' fans at the Sanford rally?

2. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Do you hear yourself? Makes more sense to vaccinate those who could spread it and not those who are most vulnerable? That is an insane take. Who is dying? 90% of the people dying are over 65. Do some research before saying crap like this. I have agreed with the CDC on things but they aren’t above making stupid decisions. Approving everything this Governor does? Are you being obtuse or just not reading my complaints on DeSantis’s handling of the unemployment benefits website. That was a huge issue making many people have to wait to get their benefits. That will give me pause to vote for him in the future. But I’m not partisan like some on here and only see one side of things. I never voted for Trump and can sleep well at night knowing I didn’t sacrifice my morals. But you keep thinking I’m a pub lackey.

3. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Is 29 deaths out of 42000 older people, many in nursing homes, even outside of the expected number of deaths in a month for a population like that? An 85 year old man has about a 10% chance of dying in a year. If we had a population of 42,000 85 year old men, we could expect about 4000 of them to die within 1 year, or about 330 in one month.

4. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    https://nypost.com/2021/01/17/former-nys-dem-party-head-gets-vaccinated-in-florida/

Former Dem party head came to Florida for his shot. Not sure how to treat people who truly split time between 2 states. Maybe force them to get the shot in their primary residency state. Not sure how enforceable that is. But I am against people flocking to Florida because their state is doing a terrible job vaccinating the elderly.

5. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, we are counting anyone who dies as a Covid death, so heck, lets just count vaccination deaths as Covid deaths also. Who cares, right?

6. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    And from your CDC link: "No deaths from anaphylaxis were reported after receipt of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine."

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    No that's not what we're doing.

8. FutureGatorMom

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    If you post one post on how he handled the unemployment website 6 months ago, and the rest of the time sing his praises, I'm not going to remember the one issue but I'll take your word for it. I'm sure you have labeled me.

I haven't said that the most vulnerable shouldn't be vaccinated. The age he is approving for vaccination is wrong. If I'm over 65 and not over 75, with no comorbidities, retired, I'll sit my ass at home so the people who have to be out there can get vaccinated and keep the crap from spreading. I've said repeatedly that people in ALFs should be vaccinated first. They are the most vulnerable elderly.

Most of the 90% that die over 65 are those over 75 and in assisted living. And again, just 65 and older opens it up to people from other countries over 65 to come here and get a vaccine that my 86 year old mother with a pacemaker should have. We have a real issue with the old people in her situation, living at home, but vulnerable. First it's make an appointment, but the site fills up in minutes, then it's "no, first come first serve" and they show up only to be told that it is by appointment again

At the very least, raise the age and don't let people out of the country come here and get it. That is really what is pissing me off.

9. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

You sure about that?

[​IMG]

Go ahead and check him out. I'm sure you will retract your statement.

10. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Just lucky that so many died within a few days of getting the vaccine...

But if they had a Covid+ test in the last 30-90 days we sure know what the death would be labeled...

11. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    would you not flee Cuomo also?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Or how about post 4788 from last night, not 6 months ago like you opined. You are wrong on this and I think you know it, but hate DeSantis and it's clouded your judgement. Sounds like it's on you to get your mom vaccinated. I did for my mom. You need to be proactive like all my friends did as well and sign their parents up for the vaccine. Not hard. Sounds like you are making excuses for you not getting it done.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    No, there can be multiple causes of death. Here's instructions from the CDC for completing a death certificate.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/blue_form.pdf

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    The world is run on inaccurate numbers. That's all we have. Elon Musk does not know how much a Tesla Model 3 costs to make, we don't know McDonald's EPS, we don't know the average temperature in Fort Collins yesterday or any day....So what? On the flip side, chess, like tic-tac-toe, is a game of perfect info. that perfect info ain't going to get you far against a good player.

Inaccurate is a given in virtually all real world situations. If you can't make a case that they are materially inaccurate, what are you doing?

As Badi Baltagi - stats guru extraordinaire sez, only god knows the value of the capital greek letters.

15. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

The guy isn’t making it up. They are forcing anyone with Covid that if they die Covid is the cause of death. I’m sure it’s only where this guy is...

16. FutureGatorMom

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I'm not that tied to this message board I eat dinner,work, watch tv, read. Post #4,788? Ok.

You're right about it's up to us to get my mother in, they aren't coming to her and she isn't the sharp woman she used to be. As I said, they have changed the rules several times where she lives (Lake county), so it is like a shell game. I don't know where you live, but it was hard. Slots filled up in minutes. Luckily for her we are able to go through my sister's work (hospital) to make an appointment now, but I used her as an example. Not all have a family member that can do that for them. I also live almost an hour away from her.

This could be better coordinated. Why not set up these vaccine sites in the many 55+ communities we have for the residents there? In Clermont it went from the college for a couple weeks to the Arts and Rec and now up to Mt Dora. They either don't have the # vaccines they need, or they are as organized as a chinese fire drill.

Edited to add: I stated that people from out of the country should not be allowed to take vaccinations from Americans who live here. You said we've done an amazing job vaccinating our 65+, but in those numbers are people who do not live in Florida or even the US. So are we REALLY doing a great job? Sometimes after going back and forth, I forget what the whole purpose of my post was!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  17. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    No, death certificates contain lines for multiple causes of death.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    why should people in ALFs be vaccinated first? THey're kind of already in a bubble. Just vaccinate the workers.

19. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Seminole county is super easy. You put your phone number in and they text you when the website is open for reservations. Took all of 5 minutes to schedule my mom.

20. FutureGatorMom

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Well, there you go then. No statewide coordinated effort to get those who need to be vaccinated, vaccinated, so we can move on to the next group.