Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in Florida

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Mar 12, 2020.

1. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Yes, our govt. failed at getting more vaccine everywhere. Not sure what that has to do with DeSantis. Is he perfect with the vaccine rollout? No, but he’s doing a hell of lot better than just about any other Governor. Again, you make it seem like it’s seamless everywhere but Florida. Go take a look around the country and report back to me. Florida hasn’t had to dump thousands of vaccine because our Governor was an idiot on who could get the vaccine. Since you are hell bent on pissing on DeSantis, just move along to something he actually is doing a bad job of. Nothing incorrect on my conclusion. Facts suck. Sorry they don’t help your argument. They sure do for me.

• Like Like x 1
  2. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    You need to read posts more carefully. I didn't "piss[] on DeSantis." I am critical of the incompetent national roll out of the vaccines and the lies told by the federal government of the available supply.

This is my post that you are responding to.

The pertinent part is in bold.

States need national help. All states.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    meanwhile on the Cuomo front, sorry,could not resist a hanging curve.

4. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

This is the FLORIDA Covid thread. Not sure why you would reply to my post then. There is the US Covid thread you can complain about the national roll out. Not sure what that has to do with Florida being 2nd in the country in vaccinating the Elderly.

5. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Can you clarify? My understanding is that elderly are being prioritized with medical professionals also being prioritized, particularly if folks are interacting with, say, nursing homes. I know some family members have been included. But have you observed a significant deviation from this or can you link a reference to something different?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

6. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Because the national problem with vaccine supply is affecting Florida and it addresses the exchange you were having with the other poster and her mothers inability to get the vaccine.

7. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Allergic Reactions Including Anaphylaxis...

This is a little older numbers. Having trouble getting the data that I posted earlier which is why I deleted my post when I couldn’t recreate it. This is only up to Dec 23rd. Also, look into the issues Norway is having with the Vaccine. They have 29 deaths so far from the vaccine out of 42k vaccinations. That’s not good. Need more info on the deaths obviously.

Pfizer vaccine worries Norway as 29 elderly people die after taking shot

8. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Just went back and you said Florida is doing a poor job. I stand by my data saying Florida is doing a good job on the vaccine rollout with what they have to work with. Of course you will get some people complaining “their mom” can’t get the vaccine. Until everyone has it you won’t satisfy everyone. That can’t be the metric to say Florida isn’t doing a good job. If Florida was throwing out vaccine like NY, or only vaccinating 3% of the elderly like NJ then I would be ripping DeSantis as well(like I did for the unemployment benefits fiasco). Otherwise it sounds like partisan complaining.

9. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Makes no difference if it's "partisan" or not. There is nothing to brag about with the numbers showing no matter if Florida is 1,2 or 50. This isn't a rankings game this about getting EVERYONE vaccinated. It seems "partisan" with your support of Desantis on this when your focus should be on the big picture and not the incredible low numbers of vaccinated currently being shown. By the way, I absolutely hate Desantis with a passion! How is he going to survive without Trump telling him how to get to work each day. With that being said he should be very thankful that he has the quality health workers in Florida that are very well trained due to the incredible amount of senior citizens living there.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The original CDC recommendation was health care personnel and long-term care facility residents would be vaccinated first. After that, elderly over the age of 75. Most states followed that guideline but Florida didnt which is why their numbers for vaccination of the elderly are higher.

11. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ok, I’ll move on to people who aren’t hyper partisan. And if you can’t see the difference between being 2 or 50 then that’s your problem, not mine.

12. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Many many of those waited in line for hours to get the vaccine. Get over the age of 80 and see if your bladder will allow for that.

Where we disagree is that instead of getting the people who SHOULD be vaccinated, which imho are front line workers, and those in ALFs. So the retired folk who can stay home a couple months longer, are getting protected because they "want to hug their grandchildren", but those who have to come in contact with the general population, aren't. I'm not exactly proud that we have done a better job of vaccinating those people,whether they live here or not, than those that really should be getting protected and thus keeping it from spreading.

13. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    One big issue I have is out of state owners and foreigners going before Florida citizens.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Yeah, lets not vaccinate the most at risk because they can afford to sit in their homes for a few months longer...

Do you even think about what you wrote? Frontline workers and anyone over 65 are the first people that need the vaccine. You want to play with peoples lives because you think they don’t “need” the vaccine. Look at the numbers and how the risk goes up exponentially for anyone over 65. Who exactly are these elderly people “taking the vaccine from” that should be getting protected in your view?

15. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I guess I'm asking for a reference for this take. I know quite a few folks under 65 that have received the vaccination.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    You realize this is the trade off FL made, right? They shifted vaccines away from front-line (customer facing) workers in favor of more retirees and elderly in the 65-75 range. Health workers had access, but no other customer facing people have access. Not teachers. Not amazon workers. Not grocery clerks. Desantis base includes right wing retirees in the Villages who came down from Michigan and Ohio, and he made a clearly political speech pandering to them re: vaccine availability.

In reality the 64 year old Wal-Mart worker needs the vaccine a helluva lot more than the 66 year old retiree, who should be social distancing anyway, rather than going out for baby back ribs. But in this scenario the 64 year old is screwed. There should have been another category for “at risk” front line workers that should have been ahead of retirees. A 20 something maybe can go without (until there is more supply), but people in their 50’s and 60’s that are out there every day should have been prioritized before someone that should be distancing, not just due to their risk *if* they contract the disease, but due to their far greater risk of getting infected in the first place.

Now in reality, there isn’t enough vaccine to cover either group anyway, so the discussion as to who to “prioritize” is kind of moot. But some small set of 65-75 are getting access, and to do that some others are getting screwed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    CDC guidelines state that front line workers and those over 75 should be vaccinated first. The people who are spreading the virus are the people who have to go out and work a job that exposes them. My sister n law and her husband are healthy 69 year olds with zero underlying conditions. They are getting their second shot this week. She wants to know when she can hug her grandchildren. My daughter n law is a teacher and had two kids in her class test positive and she still had to hold class in person. Are you seeing the disconnect?

To me, the elderly in ALFs should be first along with those over 75 and that have to be exposed to the general population. Not those that are here visiting or otherwise not at real risk due to their health. The CDC has it right.

From the CDC website

WHO SHOULD GET VACCINATED FIRST
    CDC recommends giving COVID-19 vaccine in phases, which may overlap:

• 1a: Healthcare personnel and Long-term care facility residents
    • 1b: Frontline essential workers and People age 75 years and older
    • 1c: People aged 65 through 74 years and People aged 16 through 64 years with underlying medical conditions and Other essential workers

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
  19. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Find me a healthcare worker who didn’t get offered the shot. Otherwise it should be anyone 65 and over. The rest is just BS. Vaccinate the most vulnerable first is the smart thing so we can stop the one poster from saying each day is the highest daily death total in the country. You really believe that the 25 year old Publix bagger should get the vaccine over a 68 year old who volunteers at a church? Your whole argument is fraudulent. But you know that and just want to rip DeSantis. The bias is strong with you.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Well, the CDC said to not wear masks also... They make mistakes. Most of Europe did it the right way(which DeSantis followed). CDC and the WHO have made more mistakes than we can count and this was one of them. Someone visiting from another state shouldn’t get vaccinated here. Go to your state and get it done unless you are a true 6 months one place and 6 months another place. Not a fan of people flying to Florida because we are doing such a good job vaccinating the elderly. But thanks for confirming that Florida is doing a great job.