Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in Florida

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Mar 12, 2020.

1. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Do you know Florida is doing very well with regard to vaccinating the elderly? Or do you just like to complain because you don’t like DeSantis?

Florida is second in the country in percentage of elderly vaccinated. We are literally better than every state but West Virginia.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Florida is not doing well. For example, in South Florida, you can't make appointments because there is no supply. See the links below

The entire country has a huge problem getting vaccine supply.

The hospitals were lied to by the federal government with respect to supply. And, they need to keep their reserve for second shots.

It is a national problem, not Florida.

It isn't DeSantis' fault.

Keeping You Safe
    https://vachttps://my.clevelandclinic.org/landing/covid-19-vaccine/floridacines.nomihealth.com/
    Florida COVID-19 Vaccine Appointments | Cleveland Clinic

Cleveland Clinic sums it up:

"At this time, we have suspended COVID-19 vaccine appointment scheduling until we are able to receive additional supplies of vaccines. Please continue to check this page regularly as we update availability."

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    There are others
    Florida’s Covid-19 Vaccines Draw Foreigners, Snowbirds

• Like Like x 1
  4. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

What part of Florida being second in elderly vaccinations is hard to understand?

Florida has vaccinated 14.1% of our over 65 population. New Jersey for example has vaccinated 3.1% of their over 65 population. Yeah, I’ll take Florida over every other state in their roll out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    So give me a link. We are ranked second in the county as far as % of elderly in our population. Of course we are going to rank high in % of elderly vaccinated. I voted for the guy and he has let me down, bowing to the orange man.

6. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

upload_2021-1-17_20-38-47.png

What does having a large elderly population have to do with a high % vaccinated? That makes no sense. It's percentages, not total elderly vaccinated. It's ok to give DeSantis credit for something. He's doing very well compared to everywhere else in the country.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Make that 6 consecutive days, down to 13,135 now.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. FutureGatorMom

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    My mother can't get an appointment. Those numbers are great for old people who are in ALF's, they got them first. Over 80 go sit in line for hours because it is first come first serve AFTER they tell you to make an appointment.
    I wonder too how many in that % live out of state or out of the country

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    On a human-level and concern over individuals that "deserve" the vaccine, I agree with you. The problems, I see, are two-fold:

(1) Is traveling to acquire to get the vaccine increasing risk of exposure? In otherwords, is it overall "safer" to give that vaccine to a local than to encourage somebody to travel via multiple airports to receive the vaccine?

(2) When it comes to internationals, I think it's fair to consider that we pay far more for drugs in our system. In the big picture, we don't want to encourage US citizens getting the short end of the stick. I think there's a fairness issue that deserves to be addressed from that perspective.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. FutureGatorMom

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    IN addition. Meanwhile, our front line workers/teachers are not getting vaccinated while retired people, not ALF, out of state and out of country, who can stay home are. Great job. Bass ackwards.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Hey, still waiting for you to get back to me on how you were arriving at your numbers for vaccine adverse events in the US corona thread.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    It's just another fear-monger conspiracy story from random/desperate news outlets: "These internationals are traveling to the U.S. to steal our 'rona shots!" I think it's a load, but even if folks are going to such lengths to get the shot, I say let 'em get it. Until we start reading a bunch of stories about Americans lined up for the shot, only to lose out to "tourist from Argentina," I call B.S.
    Just give folks the vaccine and keep it moving. I have real doubts there are large numbers of vaccine tourists. Those who were here to visit family, etc. should get it if they can and I have no problem with that.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  13. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Just another example of your misuse of numbers, statistics, what they mean and your inability to stick to the subject.

I responded to a poster saying that his 80 year old mother cannot get an appointment.

My point addressed the national failure to have vaccine supplied to hospitals now and the consequence of the lie that vaccine is available.

So, I posted 4 links to hospitals that cannot give vaccination appointments because there is no supply now.

My point has nothing to do with percentages of people who have been vaccinated. It is an immaterial point to the present situation.

So, when you can address this national failure, fine.

14. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

I know many many people over 65 who aren’t in nursing homes who had no problem getting an appointment. Like I said, Florida doing very well compared to any other state.

15. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

What part of Florida being the 2nd best in the US in vaccinating the elderly is hard to grasp. I’m sure you will start a thread about NY throwing away vaccines because of their terrible restrictions setup by their Governor...

16. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    here is a link as to South Florida,.

Florida Vaccine Updates: Miami-Dade County, Jackson Health Appointments Fill Up

17. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Honestly, I hadn't heard of foreigners travel here to get it before you mentioned it. I've heard of "snowbirds" being criticized and others with connections coming down to FL to get it. I don't have as much of a problem with that aside from the nuances mentioned in scenario #1 above. The vaccination lines are longer than the testing lines in many of the places I've been recently (rural FL and GA).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

18. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The answer to your question is that historic factors concerning the vaccine distribution to date have nothing to do with the point I am making.

The failure to distribute more vaccine, everywhere, is still a national failure.

And it is inexcusable now that people cannot get vaccine in South Florida because there is no supply. And the federal government lied about it.

But, since you can't discuss the point at all, other than to repeat the same thing and reach an incorrect conclusion, just keep repeating yourself.

It seems your goal is to hurl your reading comprehension insults anyway, which is the weakest form of argument anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  19. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The original plan wasn’t to vaccinate the elderly first. Other states stuck with the plan but Florida didn’t

20. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They were stupid. Who’s most at risk of dying? Most other countries were smart and focused the vaccine on those most at risk. Another blunder by our Govt. DeSantis has made his share of blunders(unemployment fiasco) but this for sure isn’t one. And anyone wanting to blame Trump I’m at the front of the line.